Search for content in message boards

Keane of County Clare

Keane of County Clare

muriel Kain theo (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Keane, Fitzpatrick
Colman ? John Colman Keane brn ?Inagh Ennistimon Ennis area County Clare 1826 married Bridget Fitzpatrick brn 1820.... and daughter Honora Immigrated to South Australia 1852
Brother Martin married Catherine Culliman immigrated to south Australia 1857 Keane changed to Kain in Australia
Other members of family stayed in County Clare
Mother ? Bridget Keane may have died Ennistimon work house 1864 aged 66 years
Family had land near the Cliffs of Moher
Other family members ....Michael, Patrick , Thomas ?Jervase
Can anyone relate to this family or give any info
Please contact with any no matter how small
Many thanks in advance
Muriel Kain Theo
thea@ruralnet.net.au

Keanes from County Clare

Posted: 27 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jul 2001 1:05PM GMT
Surnames: Keane
In response to your query, some of the first names rang a bell although the information I have is several decades later. Perhaps the reused the first names as the Irish often did in the same family. I have a Honor Keane born to Daniel and Mary Carmody Keane in 1867 in Kilrush, Clare. Also, a Marriage certificate for them which states that his father was Thomas Keane and witnessed by Patrick Keane. Additionally, I have a birth certicate for Denis Keane, my great grandfather, whose father was Martin Keane and his mother was Nance Hurly Keane in 1866. This was witnwss by John Keane in Kilrush, Clare. Perhaps this could be of help.

Re: Keane of County Clare

R McInnes (View posts)
Posted: 31 May 2002 6:09PM GMT
Surnames: Keane Kain
Muriel,
Finally found time to go through some [not all] of the SA & Vic indices; this is the Millicent SA family:
Generation 1 Ireland->Sth Australia:
KAIN Michael d 1880-12-06 age 63yrs Hundred Mayurra [near Millicent SA]; husband of
KAIN Bridget d 1897-03-12 age 77yrs near Millicent SA
Generation 2
KAIN Thos [?born Ireland?] D Age 47, Nhill Victoria, 1896
pa. Michael Kain & Bridget Burke.
KAIN Jas Edwd born Sth Aust m. Mary Ann Price in Victoria,
1895 [they moved from Hopetoun area to Millicent SA].
There were 8 or 10 other children. Haven't located them yet.
Regards, R McInnes rosmci2@yahoo.com.au

Posted: 28 May 2005 10:22AM GMT
Surnames: Horan, Mullaly,Dwyer,Schleter, Manser
Hi,
I saw your message,and wondered if there is a connection to my grandmothers family, her name was Catherine Horan,her parents were John Horan and Johanna Mallally,both were married in Mount Gambier South Australia, I have heard one of my grandmother's sisters? were married to a John Kain,I am great difficulty find anyone one related to the Horan,Mullaly's Kain's etc. I don't even know where in Ireland John and Johanna came from. If you think there might be some connection,I would love to hear from you. Someone out there must be related to these families.
Kind regards
Barbara

rosmci (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2005 11:29PM GMT
Hi Barbara,
I've almost given up on my Kain lot, everything I try leads to another riddle, including even the name of one of the emigrant couple. I know at least one of their children lived around Mt Gambier (possibly in the Glencoe area) but have no name(s). The Irish appear to have moved west from Victoria as well as south east from Adelaide.
Rgds, Rosanne

Posted: 22 Nov 2009 8:05AM GMT
The well known Keane family of Willunga descended from Thomas Keane ((1834-1903) originated from Ennistymon, Co Clare. This is a well documented family so if your family connect with theirs, that might save you a lot of work. It is quite simple to establish if there was a relationship. You don't need to wats etime on the almost non-existent Irish records. A simple Y-DNA test will do it, as a member of the Willunga Keanes has already joined the Cain DNA project at www.familytreedna.com/public/Cain-Caine.

Posted: 6 Feb 2010 9:12PM GMT
The other famous Keane family who left Ennistimon for South Australia have now joined the Cain DNA project. The Keane Memorial Gardens in Happy Valley are named after this family in honour of their admirable contribution to Australia's effort in two world wars.
If you have a male line Keane relation willing to give a DNA sample, you can ascertain if your two families are related. See www.familytreedna.com/public/Cain-Caine

Posted: 6 Jul 2012 12:41PM GMT
7 years ago!

Barbara please tell me if I have contacted you in the past re this post.

My wife's family include a John Kain married to a Bridget Horan in Mt Gambier in 1907. We have a bit on the Kains but nothing on the Horan's.

By the way, I'm a Dwyer so your mention of Dwyer in your surname list looks interesting. Our lot seem to hsve spent some time in Kyneton.

Vin D

Posted: 8 Jul 2012 2:05AM GMT
Surnames: Schleter,Horan, Mullaly,Dwyer, Manser
Hi Vin,
I am not sure whether you have contacted me as I have been in touch with thousands of people over ten years, I have also John Kain married to Bridget Horan,my ggrandfather wass John Horan and my ggrandmothers ws Johanna Mullaly her mother was Bridget Dwyer before she married William Mullaly. I havent got any info much on Bridgets side, but I am assuming they came from Tipperary.

Posted: 8 Jul 2012 2:16AM GMT
Surnames: Dwyer
Thanks Barbara. I did find our previous correspondence after I sent this last post. I find Dwyers popping up in strange places (my family, my mother's family, my wife's family). They must have got around a bit.

Vin D
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions