Search for content in message boards

Sarah Moody b. 1802 Haywood Co., NC

Sarah Moody b. 1802 Haywood Co., NC

Posted: 1 Nov 2008 2:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moody Rice
She married Jeremiah D. Rice. Looking for good information on her parents; have seen her linked to John Moody/Elizabeth Laird and also to Reuben Moody/Jane Grindstaff.

Re: Sarah Moody b. 1802 Haywood Co., NC

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 5:36PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jun 2013 5:37PM GMT
Try Reuben Sr.and Jane Grindstaff if that doesn't work then try Reuben Jr. I don't have his w who wife's name at this time. John and Elizabeth Laird (my line)also had a son Reuben who married Polly Leatherwood. They seem to repeat names in this line which makes things interesting when you try to pinpoint a set of parents.
Good Luck
Lynne

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 6:32PM GMT
There were at least two Sarah Moodys of about the same age in Haywood Co. One, born about 1810, married John C Welch (see death cert of daughter Sultina Welch Turner.) The other, born 1802 according to her headstone, was married to Jeremiah D Rice. There is a Moody genealogy book which has Sarah the daughter of Reuben and Jane being married to Jeremiah Rice, but I suspect looking at census records and ages of siblings that Reuben's daughter was actually married to John Welch, and Sarah Moody Rice's father was John Moody. Haven't seen any hard proof either way, though.

Posted: 16 Jun 2013 6:32PM GMT
Could be, I have twelve children listed for John Moody and Elizabeth Laird but that doesnt mean there are more somewhere. I didn't compile this information that I have a distant cousin did,he's usually pretty good about provenence but he could have missed a child or two.
Have a great weekend what's left of it and Thank You so much for posting back, every little tid bit helps!
Lynne

Posted: 16 Jun 2013 8:51PM GMT
hello,
you seem to have a lot of information on the Moody/Chambers family. Could you perhaps help me out a little bit? You have NO idea how much I would appreciate it.
First do you have Phillip Chambers born about 1778 I have him as North Carolina but I keep seeing Onconee SC. Do you know if his father was James son of Samuel who was the son of Reynolds?
Jonathan married Elizabeth Moody, they had supposedly a daughter Martha Catherine Chambers (my great Grandmother). I say supposedly because if Elizabeth is indeed Martha Catherine's (Kate) mother she had her when she was 52 when she had her, not impossible but not probable either. Her death certificate states Jonathan Chambers as her father, my Grand Uncle didn't list her mother. Her Bible record that I have doesn't list her mother either, but I haven't actually put my hands on her Bible, a cousin has it in Georgia. I found a lineage on family search but no where do I find phillp belonging to James. If you have this information and aren't comfortable sharing just point me in a direction I may find what I'm looking for.
Thanks
Lynne

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 11:07AM GMT
Lynn713,
I have some info on John Moody and Elizabeth Laird but only one child. Please contact me at otime1@yahoo.com and I can send you more but below is some in an outline. I am not sure of all of the info in the outline but have proved most.
My info differs some from what you posted yesterday.
Descendants of Jesse Moody

1 Jesse MOODY b: 1752 in Granville Co. NC d: Feb 1788 in Greenville Co. SC
.. +Dianah HOLLINGSWORTH b: Abt. 1756 in Orange Co. NC m: Abt. 1770 in Chatham Co. NC d: Bef. 1800 in Greenville Co. SC Father: Valentine HOLLINGSWORTH III Mother: Elizabeth HARLAN
2 John MOODY b: 1771 in Chatham Co. NC d: 1838 in Haywood Co. NC
.. +Elizabeth LAIRD b: 1779 in VA m: Jul 28, 1796 in Washington Co. VA d: 1860 in Cherokee Co. NC
3 Reuben MOODY b: Aug 11, 1801 in Greenville Co. SC d: Aug 07, 1891 in Haywood Co. NC
... +Mary Polly LEATHERWOOD b: Dec 31, 1804 in Buncombe Co. NC, later Haywood m: Jan 30, 1826 in Haywood Co. NC d: Mar 26, 1884 in Haywood Co. NC Burial: Dellwood Cem. Father: John LEATHERWOOD Mother: Sarah BURNES
4 James Lafayette MOODY b: Mar 30, 1830 in Haywood Co. NC d: Oct 14, 1913 in Haywood Co. NC
.... +Nancy Avaline HENRY b: Dec 18, 1828 in Haywood Co. NC m: Mar 06, 1850 in Haywood Co. NC d: 1860 in Haywood Co. NC
*2nd Wife of James Lafayette MOODY:
.... +Nancy JAYNES b: Oct 23, 1846 in Haywood Co. NC m: 1866 d: 1919
2 Reuben MOODY b: 1776
.. +Jane GRINDSTAFF b: 1776
3 Mary Elizabeth MOODY b: 1803 d: Oct 09, 1841
... +Keder BOONE b: Nov 20, 1790 in Pendleton District, SC m: 1819 d: Aug 10, 1841 Father: Ratliff BOONE, Jr. Mother: Nancy HARRIS

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 1:57PM GMT
I haven’t really done any research on the Chamberses. I presume Phillip Chambers was Jonathan’s father because he is living with him on the 1850 census, which says Phillip was born in NC. That census also says Jonathan was born in North Carolina; the 1860 and 1870 censuses say Jonathan was born in SC. No idea which is correct. I think the Phillip Chambers who was married to Ruth was a different person who had a different son named John; they seem to be from the Macon Co., NC area. As far as who our Phillip’s father was, I haven’t seen any records. There are lots of Chambers families in NC, SC, and GA and they all use the same names over and over. If you have access to Bible records, you are ahead of the game. Another possibility is land or probate records; those sometimes will list the heirs.

As to Elizabeth Chambers’ parentage, it’s possible she is daughter of Elizabeth Moody, but if I was forced to guess I’d guess she was daughter of Jonathan and Elizabeth’s son John, who disappears after the 1850 census. Maybe you can find a marriage or death record for him somewhere, if the courthouse wasn’t burned like so many were…

Good luck on your research.

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 4:17PM GMT
David,
Thank you that filled in some blanks. I appreciate the help, these Moody's have sat in a notebook for a while and I just restarted on my Chambers line this weekend again. Thought I would add some of the Moody info to that line.
I appreciate the sharing.
Lynne

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 4:19PM GMT
Thank you so much for the help I really appreciate it a lot! I agree with you and the confusion all these same named people cause but it certainly makes things interesting when you're trying to sort it out!
Have a great day
Lynne

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 8:54PM GMT
Lynn713,
please contact me at otime1@yahoo.com because I have more info on these familys.
And also some other cousins working on these lines including DNA.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions