Search for content in message boards

Marrying Ireland 1920. Marrying USA 1928 with different identity.

Marrying Ireland 1920. Marrying USA 1928 with different identity.

Posted: 30 Dec 2013 5:45AM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Edited: 30 Dec 2013 5:59AM GMT
Surnames: Fryberg, Harvey-Brooks, Byrne, Ware, Blashki
Hi,
In March 1920 Horace Harrington Fryberg married Catharine Byrne in North Dublin.
In 1928, with a new identity of Alan Harvey-Brooks, he married Gladys C. Ware in Richmond, Virginia, January 1928.
Can anyone please help me to trace the migration pattern?

I have all his story except for these 8 years.
This is for a feature story in a Historical Society Journal. I hope to find someone who can access Irish records. I am doing a tribute to the ANZACS and their ways of dealing with that past.
I cannot find Irish records online.
He was one of my father's 54 Australian Blashki first cousins.

He was born in 1895 in Melbourne Australia, Jewish and named Horace Hyman Fryberg. He served in WW1 with the ANZACS, then served in his second reincarnation as an American Methodist Chaplain Major in WW11. He is buried as a revered Reverend.

Re: Marrying Ireland 1920. Marrying USA 1928 with different identity.

Posted: 30 Dec 2013 11:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Dec 2013 11:48AM GMT
I'm not clear what sort of Irish records you were looking for ... the dates are after the two available census returns, the BMD Index in available free on FamilySearch, but you would need to order research certs to check the details.

There is a possible child registered to the couple that might be worth checking out - an Elizabeth Fryberg, born in Naas district (Co. Kildare) in the last quarter of 1920, could fit with that marriage...

The index references are :
Name : Elizabeth Fryberg
Record Type Birth
Quarter and Year Oct - Dec 1920
Registration District Naas
Volume 2 / Page 693

A cert would show parents names, date and place of birth, father's occupation etc, and help confirm or rule out this as a connection..

dont know if you have a marriage cert already - if you need one you can order a research copy from the GRO for €4 using the following references :

Name : Horace Harrington Fryberg
Record Type : Marriage
Quarter/Year : Jan-Mar 1920
Registration District: Dublin North
Volume: 2 / Page : 520

To search for travel records I'd start at the destination, as it's more common that records were kept there rather than at point of departure. Many people travelled to the US via England, so also worth checking for arrivals in the US from Southampton, Liverpool etc

p.s. is there some connection to County Westmeath ?
that's the section this topic is posted in...

Posted: 30 Dec 2013 9:34PM GMT
Edited: 30 Dec 2013 9:34PM GMT
dont know if it's connected but there's an earlier 1919 birth registration for an Ellen Fryberg in the same areas as that Elizabeth, also in Naas district.

not a common surname in Ireland so worth making a note of..

It's the type of surname that I think could appear with spelling variations e.g. Freiburg, but these couple of records stand out, and fit the general timeline

Posted: 31 Dec 2013 1:10AM GMT
Thanks. Really good clues! No idea why it is posted county westmeath. North dublin marriage. Will get the certificate next. Elizabeth could be reason for marriage. Following amazing story of rebuilt identity. Happy new year :)

Posted: 1 Jun 2014 7:55PM GMT
Hi,
I'm Colm Nagle, my Grandmother was Mary Harfleet and I have a copy of the marriage Cert to Horice Friberg in Nth Dublin in 1981 (registered in 1920) so the person you are talking about is my Grandfather. We never knew anything about him. My grandmother never talked about him. My mother wa Eileen Fryberg born 1919.
I would love to hear from you to learn more about this side of the family.
If you look at the Mariage record it show a list of possible Spouse Cathrien Byrne only 1 of them he actualy Mary Harfleet.

Posted: 2 Jun 2014 6:11AM GMT
Hi there. You have an anzac survivor. Jewish born Melbourne Australia. He married again in America. Created a new identity as a methodist army chaplain in WW2 and lots of other grandchildren on facebook. Would you like to be put in touch? Where are you from?

Posted: 2 Jun 2014 6:23AM GMT
Just facebooked Jenny Schmidt in USA another grandchild. In Australian army ww1 records online he enlisted and has a huge file under Hyman Horace Fryberg. In an obituary site he was buried as esteemed Major Chaplain Alan Harvey-Brooks. After shell shock on Gallipoli he completely reinvented himself.

Posted: 2 Jun 2014 9:14AM GMT
Hi, I live in Dublin Ireland, one of 18 children. Mother Eileen Fryberg. I've 2 bro's in the USA, 2 in Melbourne, 2 sisters in England with the test of us in Ireland. I'd love to get in touch with the Australian and US wings of the Family.

Posted: 3 Jun 2014 9:56AM GMT
Hi. Nice potted history of Fryberg grandfather Phillip Blashki on Wikipedia. Most of us are from Melbourne. Since 1857. You can search Blashki on ancestry. I copied you into Jenny Schmidts facebook and think she has posted it to her descendants. We had an amazing 150th anniversary of the Blashki arrival with over 500 of us celebrating. They had 14 children and 55 grandchildren. The last was my father. Fryberg first cousin. You could build an amazing string with all the families combined. Am on nerrida.pohl@gmail.com.
There is also a book Phillip Blashki Victorian Patriarch. His wife was Hannah nee Potash. Did you know you were part Jewish?

Posted: 3 Jun 2014 11:07PM GMT
I have photos and a war bio. Happy to share them on email if you forward me. Can't seem to paste the link here.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic