Search for content in message boards

Slovenia

Posted: 14 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Nov 2002 8:50PM GMT
Surnames: Repar, Vimpolsek, Zupancic

Researching the following surnames in Slovenia. Repar from the town of Homec, Vimpolsek and Zupancic from OklukavaGora. Anyone else researching these names?
Posted: 25 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 7 Aug 2001 5:32AM GMT
Surnames: ZUPANCIC, SUPANCIC, SPRUK, ALEXANDER, FORCE, BETZ
Please contact me to compare notes on Zupancic!
Cassandra

Zupancic

Barbara Engle (View posts)
Posted: 12 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Supanchis, Zupanchis
My mother said her father changed the name to make it
easier in America. She claimed he was from Austria-Hungary
but did not know the name of the city. Your Supancic looks
to be a similar surname. Can you tell me the country
and region it comes from.
Thanks,
Barbara

Supancic

Barbara Engle (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Supanchis, Zupanchis
Hello again, A friend sent an E-Mail from his friend in
Slovenia and I quote, "Supan and Zupancic are very comman here in Slovenia. There are many Zupans and Zupancics in the USA and Canada, too. Zupancic means a little, young Zupan. There are some version in this surname, where the
check mark is written above the letters "z" and "c" like over the "z" in my city name "Domzale." Because these letters don't exist in German and English, one wrote so many "zh" and "ch." Supanzhizh is a German version, "s" is
standing of the same reason as in Sarnik instead of Zarnik,
so a German can read it right, not as "tsupantschitsch" but as "supanzhizh." The combination "zh" is not used about
150 years for the temporary "c" with check mark. "ZH is read as "ch" in the words ;check, chair, or Spanish
muchacha. The surname Zupan came probably from the word
Zupan, which means mayor. The "zupa" was 1000 years ago an old Slavic part of land ruled by the zupan."
My mother was born in 1893 in Central City, CO. I believe her father was a gold miner.
Barbara
Posted: 13 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 7 Aug 2001 5:32AM GMT
Surnames: SUPANCIC
Barbara Thank you for the response.Your spelling is more the way my Granny pronounced her name. She always told me Austria, but that the borders changed during the time they left. Roman Catholic religeon, German speaking. That's about all I know so far. She told me so many stories of her homeland. There is only one of her children left that I have not spoken to, and will this weekend. Maybe she will know more as she's older than my mother. Oh, they were in Novinger, Mo until about 1930. Then, Joplin. They came to US when she was 12,she was born 2 Nov,1896 parents Frank b.1867 and Agatha Supancic b.1869. Please let me know if anything sounds familiar or what you think! Cassandra

Zupancic from Slovenia

Sherry Zak Morris (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Zupancic, Peskar, Zakrajsek, Modic
My grandfather, Ignatious Zupancic was born in 1889. Not sure when he came over from Slovenia, but they settled in Cleveland,Ohio. Married Pauline Peskar from Ljubliana, Slovenia and had 9 children, of which my mother, Dolores, is one of the nine. Wondering if my grandfather, Ignatious, had any brothers or sisters.

ZAKRAJSEK

Heather Rowe-Chafin (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: ZAKRAJSEK, SUSTERSIC
Searching for information on my grandpa, August Zakrajsek, and his family. His parents were: Joseph and Antonia (Sustersic) Zakrajsek. His siblings were: Joseph, Jr and Antonia who died abt 1917 during the influenza epidemic. Joseph Sr was born 1889 and died 1958. Antonia, Sr was born 1892 and died 1970. My grandpa "Gus" changed his last name to Andrews while his brother Joe changed his last name to Zak. The Zakrajsek's lived on E 77th off of St. Clair in Cleveland, Ohio. Joseph Sr worked at American Steel & Wire until he retired. Both he and Antonia are buried in the Lakeview Cemetery in Cleveland. Joseph had at least one sister in the US, Louis who married an Ursic. It is believed he had other siblings in Slovenia. It is also believed that they too came from Ljubljana. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Modic Connection

Posted: 27 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jun 2002 12:59AM GMT
Surnames: Modic
I feel fairly certain that the saloonkeeper, John Modic, that you mentioned must be the father of Frank Modic, the long-time owner of Tino's Bar at 6030 St. Clair Avenue. Tino and his wife, Aggie, retired to Florida many years ago. Although 'Tino' passed away several years ago, his wife still resides in Florida and may be a resource for some of your research. If you think so, email me at:

gorsha@juno.com

and I will attempt to put you in touch with her. My own family lived around the corner on East 60th Street for several years. You might also find some other information of interest on my family's website located at:

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/gorsha/

Modic Connection

Edited: 12 Jun 2002 12:59AM GMT
Surnames: Modic
I feel fairly certain that the saloonkeeper, John Modic, that you mentioned must be the father of Frank Modic, the long-time owner of Tino's Bar at 6030 St. Clair Avenue.

Tino and his wife, Aggie, retired to Florida many years ago. Although 'Tino' passed away several years ago, his wife still resides in Florida and may be a resource for some of your research. If you think so, email me at:

gorsha@juno.com

and I will attempt to put you in touch with her. My own family lived around the corner on East 60th Street for several years. You might also find some other information of interest on my family's website located at:

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/gorsha/

Zakrajsek and Modic

Heather Rowe-Chafin (View posts)
Surnames: Zakrajsek, Sustarsic
Sherry:

Just found my gr-grandpa Joseph Zakrajsek's Petition for naturalization records. Thought you might find this of interest...John Modic who was a Saloonkeeper and resided at 6201 St Clair Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio was a witness to Joseph's petition. Perhaps this might help you. Heather
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions