Search for content in message boards

all Gandys from the first settlers in NJ VA NC SC on

all Gandys from the first settlers in NJ VA NC SC on

Posted: 13 Oct 2000 1:55AM GMT
Edited: 19 Jan 2004 4:18AM GMT
Hi, I am a direct descendant of Brinkley Gandy, then Booka (his son) then Abel (Booka's son), then Jaynes (Abel's son) through Jaynes's daughter whose first daughter Corrine Gandy was my mother. Parts of my family still reside on the original Gandy lands in Darlington County, SC.

A cousin and I are trying to trace this family way back to its origination in either England or Ireland (or both). Any and all documented information would be appreciated.

I have relatives in the Ft. Pierce Florida area. Clanton family whose mother and grandmother Gladys Nannette Broome Clanton was my mothers 1/2 sister. Would appreciate also any contact with the Texas family of my uncle Walter Gandy, who married Corinne, and they both are buried in China Texas. Send me an e-mail...I have lots of info on the SC branch of this family and will share.
GINGER

Brinkley connection corrected.

Posted: 17 Oct 2000 2:46PM GMT
This is to correct my first post.....The Brinkley connection is in question, even though my family lore says yes but research and documentation doesn't. So wherever Booka came from on down is accurate. Maybe we cann find the key to his parentage.

colonial Gandy family, in VA

Dorothy Merriam O'Brien (View posts)
Posted: 28 Dec 2000 4:00AM GMT
My G. grandmother, Thirza Sinclair, married Wm. H. Gandy, after Civil War. His ancestors from W. Va./Zanesville, OH.
Original Gandy came to Richmond area from Devon, Eng. @ 1740? All migrated west before Rev. War. Good documentation, published by Frank N. Merriam's uncle in 1920's, updated by me. Relatives in CO, CA.

Gandys in colonial Virginia

Posted: 30 Dec 2000 8:14AM GMT
Dorothy would you e-mail me directly and maybe give me a bit more infor on your earliest Gandys. I think they might be my ancestors too!

Thank you GINGER

VA GANDY FAMILY

GINGER (View posts)
Posted: 30 Dec 2000 4:26PM GMT
The Gandy Family book that my dad's uncle published went back to Samuel Gandy, b. 1745, Eng., m. 1776 to Rachel Combs b. 1752 Hagerstown, MD. I have some more research of Gandys coming from Devon , Eng., to the Richmond VA area in a Royal Land Patent, @ 1740, which looks like the family. You can look up the Land Patents in VA and check for other names. I'd like to know more about them. I remember there were dozens of names listed, in a book in the Family History Library in Los Angeles.
My ancestors are buried in The Old Gandy Cemetary, Gladesville, Preston County, W Va. I'd like to know more about that. Sam d. 1828, Rachel d. 12 Jul 1830. Their child in my line was Amos, b. 1780 in Md., d. 1845, m. 1803 to Rachel Menear, b.1785, d. 1822, both in Preston Co.
Their son, Samuel, b. 11 Apr 1811, d. 20 Jan 1867, P. Co. W VA, m. 1832 to Catherine Mathews b.19 apr 1815, d. 19 sep 1865 in Davis Co. IA. I want info on the Mathews line. Thanks for any help you can give.

Gandys in WV

Posted: 7 Jan 2001 3:52PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 8:44PM GMT
I am interested in the book updated by
Dorothy Merriam O'Brien. My ancestor was
Levi Preston Gandy, son of Samuel and Rachel.
his daughter, Matilda, married John Snider
in Dec. 1830. Levi married Mary Watson in
1805 in then Monongalia Co. VA. After Mary
died Levi went west and died in 1864 in
Davis Co., Iowa. Are they covered in this
book you refered to? If so where can I
obtain a copy? My e-mail is roseair@texas.net. Thanks. Virginia

GANDY FAMILY IN W VA

Dorothy O'Brien (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 2001 12:23AM GMT
The Gandy Family Book was published circa 1926, by my dad's uncle in Pasadena, Calif. I have the volume that was my grandmothers (Minnie Catherine Gandy Merriam). I don't know of any other copies, I photocopy it for all the family I know that want it. It starts with Rachel and Samuel Gandy and their decendents to my grandmother. It is not complete in all details. It is done in narrative style. It includes Civil war muster papers, and copies of photos of the 1800s with names. Some of my ancestors were also in Davis Co, IA, Catherine Mathews Gandy died there (gggm).

Gandys in WV

Posted: 11 Jan 2001 4:06PM GMT
I would like a photocopy of the Gandy Book.
I am interested in the narrative portion
showing decendents of Rachel and Samuel Gandy. I will, of course, reimburse you for
cost of providing a copy of your book and
postage for mailing. My mailing address is:
5 Richard Pearse Cove, Georgetown, TX 78626.
My e-mail address: roseair@texas.net.Thanks.

GANDYS OF W VA

DOROTHY O'BRIEN (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2001 6:30PM GMT
I WOULD BE HAPPY TO SEND A PHOTOCOPY TO YOU, I HAVE OTHER JOBS FIRST, BY 1ST WEEK OF FEB.
Posted: 15 Jan 2001 2:27PM GMT
Dorothy:
I shall look forward to your copy whenever
it is convenient for you.
Is the Gladesville Cemetary the same one
referred to as Old Gandy cemetary?
Virginia
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions