Search for content in message boards

Snead Family Bible - Georgia

Snead Family Bible - Georgia

Posted: 18 Feb 2004 5:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jan 2005 3:17AM GMT
Surnames: Snead
I am looking for anyone related to Paul Eugene Snead (born approx 1898/1899) or who may know who now has possession of the Snead ( of Georgia) Family Bible. He was my great uncle and in 1942 he signed an affidavit so that my grandma (his niece) could get a copy of her birth certificate, swearing the date of her birth as recorded in the family Bible in his possession. The family was from Atlanta, Fulton Cty, GA and I believe that Paul passed away in 1943, also in Fulton County. Paul's brothers and sister were Rupert Earl (my great grandpa), Charles C., James P. and Flora Snead. Parents were Robert Edward Snead and Mary Frances Stowers Snead, both of Georgia. I would appreciate any and all information.
Thank you, Jennifer Hensley

Re: Snead Family Bible - Georgia

Posted: 26 Feb 2004 3:34PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jun 2005 2:13AM GMT
i wrote book on sneads of johnston co, nc. also, connected to sneads of sneads, fla. do not have your sneads anywhere.

Jennifer Hensley (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2004 4:39PM GMT
Roberta,

Thank you for answering my message on the Snead family. When I saw that I had a reply, I was very excited as one of my great aunts would have been named Roberta. Her father, Charles C. Snead, was a brother to my great grandpa.

I do know that Rupert's and Chas. father was Robert Edward Snead and if I have followed the census correctly, I think I found him as a boy on the 1880 census. (The dates seem to match up) It shows that his father's name was George Washington Snead and that he and his parents were all born in North Carolina.

If at any time you see that there is a connection, I'll very much appreciate hearing from you. And again, thank you for your response now.

Sincerely,
Jennifer

Posted: 26 Feb 2004 8:15PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jun 2005 2:13AM GMT
in order for me to help you, you mus6t send me dates and all names and relations, and i might can find a link. i know i have edwards, roberts, and williams snead. thank you.

Posted: 26 Feb 2004 9:48PM GMT
Roberta,
I very much appreciate your offer to help see if there is any connection. I'll give you as many names and dates as I have, which unfortunately, aren't too many.

Going by my ggrandfathers name, Robert Edward Snead, I found him on the 1880 census records as a 12 yr old. child. It shows his father as George Washington Snead, age 45, born in and both of his parents from N. Carolina. His wife, Harriet, age 40, born in Georgia and both of her parents from S. Carolina. Their other children were Thomas, Elizabeth, Emma, Loula and Henry.

My great great grandparents, Robert Edward Snead and Mary Francis Stowers Snead, both shown to be from Atlanta, GA per my ggrandfathers birth certificate. I have estimated Robert E to be born 1870. I have also found that he went by R. E. Snead in later years, as did my ggrandfather. Their chioldren were:

My ggrandfather was Rupert Earl Snead, b. 15 May 1892 in Atlanta, GA, d. 25 Aug 1963 in Houston, TX. His siblings were: Paul Eugene Snead, b. approx 1898/99, d. 25 Nov 1943; Charles C. Snead, b. approx 1902, d.2 Feb. 1954; James P. Snead, b. 22 Jul 1909, d.June 1971; and a sister named Flora, but I have no information on her. All were born in Atlanta, Fulton Cty, GA as far as I know.

Rupert Earl was married to Daisy Wilbanks, also from GA. Daisy died 11 Oct 1923. They had 3 children: Rupert Earl II, Mary Elizabeth (my grandmother, b. 2 Mar 1915, d. 13 Feb 1996); and Willie Marie. Rupert married Edna Mae Damon in Sept 1925. The family settled in Houston, TX approx. 1929-1930.

Paul E. married to Sara(h), had 3 children: Paul E. Snead, Jr,
Jack I. Snead (who later married Frances Finch), and a daughter (I couldn't make out the name on the census). I believe they remained in the Atlanta area.

Charles C. Snead married to Alberta, had 2 children, Charles B. and Roberta. They lived in the Atlanta area and Charles was a commercial artist, at some time working for the Atlanta Constitution newspaper.

James P. Snead became a priest and was ordained in Ohio in June 1939. I know he served at a church in Alaska.

The only information I was given about Flora was that she married a policeman.

I don't know if this is enough information to help, but it's pretty much all I have except more current info on my grandparents, mother and my generations.

Thank you again for researching this for me.
Jennifer

Posted: 27 Feb 2004 1:46PM GMT
Other than the 1880 census, do you have any additional evidence that your Robert Edward SNEAD was the son of George Washington and Harriet (BOWERS) SNEAD? If indeed your Robert Edward was G. W. SNEAD's son, then I am very interested in the Bible you seek and your family history. I may have much information of interest to you.

Harriet BOWERS was G. W. SNEAD's 2nd wife. George Washington SNEAD and his first wife, Mary Ann BOWERS had one son, William Thomas SNEAD. He married Henrietta SNEAD (likely his 2nd cousin). Henrietta was my ggrandfather John James SNEAD's sister. I have substantial information about G. W. SNEAD and his ancestors and siblings. There are also quite a few other researchers who are descendants of G. W. SNEAD's brothers and half-brothers. As you may or may not know, there is a substantial mystery about the ancestry of George Washington Snead. The Bible you seek could very well shed light on an incomplete picture of his ancestry.

Therefore, I am very interested in exchanging additional information about these families and keeping abreast of your search for the Bible you are seeking.

Please contact me via e-mail so that we may discuss this in more detail.

Posted: 27 Feb 2004 3:07PM GMT
Nolan,

Thank you so much for answering my posted message.

Unfortunately, other than the 1880 census records, I have no other proof that the same G. W. Snead is the father of Robert Edward. I do know that Robert Edward Snead (from Georgia) is the name of my great great grandfather and the dates fit on the 1880 census. I had no idea that there is a mystery to G.W.'s ancestry, but would be very interested in learning about it.

I am new to genealogy research and am trying to work my way back through time, as I know the most about my grandparents generation and a little less about my great grandparents generation, although what I do have on them is correct.

It seems that I have found most of the Snead's came from Virginia (and do not seem to be related) and the ones from Georgia are very hard to locate. I'm hoping that letters I've sent and messages I've posted will shed some light and give me more information. And I too agree that finding the family Bible would be very, very helpful.

Do you have any information on Robert Edward's children (my ggrandfather's generation) and I'm wondering if any of those names match up with what you have?

I will continue the search for the family, as I have become somewhat obsessed with it. I'll be gald to keep up correspondence with you and share anything I find.

(This is my work email address. My home email is jennyd3562@aol.com, should you wish to contact me over the weekend.)

Sincerely,
Jennifer

Posted: 27 Feb 2004 4:41PM GMT
Jennifer,

Other than the 1870 and 1880 US Census, I have no information on George Washington SNEAD's son Robert E. SNEAD. One of my other contacts may know more about him. I will check and let you know via e-mail. I will also pass on a list of other researchers looking at this SNEAD branch.

The first part of the mystery regarding G. W. SNEAD's ancestry concerns his natural father, "Unknown" SNEAD, who was married to Dianah Beasley sometime before 1829. They had several children including George Washington SNEAD. "Unknown" SNEAD died sometime around 1838-1839. Dianah then married Absalom SNEAD in Forsyth County, GA in May 1839. Absalom and Dianah had at least 7 children. Legend has it that Absalom and "Unknown" SNEAD were brothers. That they were in fact brothers has yet to be proven to my satisfaction. Many SNEAD researchers have been trying to identify "Unknown" SNEAD for quite some time.

The rest of the mystery regards the connection of these men and their siblings/parents. It is very likely that these SNEAD's came to Georgia from Richmond County, NC along with two other SNEAD men, Samuel S. and Phillip. Samuel S. SNEAD is my likely, though not proven, ggg-grandfather. My theory is that all four of these SNEAD men were brothers and the son of Solomon SNEAD (b ca1766-d after 1836) of Richmond Co., NC. Their history from NC to Georgia and eventually to Cherokee County, AL reveals a definite close relationship among them. I have viewed a substantial number of records, mostly land transactions in NC, GA, and AL, which consistently connect Absalom, Samuel S., and Phillip in all three states. However, to date I am aware of no one who has proven with reasonable certainty that any of these four SNEAD men were in fact brothers or that any were sons of Solomon.

One more bit of information regarding G. W. and R. E. SNEAD. G. W. was a Confederate veteran and lived for some years in the Confederate Soldiers' Home of Georgia in Atlanta. Part of his record at the home states the following:
"Date of this Record: Nov. 13, 1902
Remarks: In case of death, notify W. T and R. E. Snead, South Jackson St.; Atlanta, Ga. The above are sons and he leaves all in their hands."

I have looked at the 1900 Census, and W. T. (William Thomas) SNEAD was living at the address shown above. No R. E. or Robert SNEAD was living with him at the time. I have done no serious search for Robert in the 1900 Census.

The Bible your are seeking could very well provide some information which might shed light on these connections. I will contact you via e-mail to discuss in more detail the information that I have collected.

Ken

Posted: 27 Feb 2004 5:45PM GMT
Ken,

Again, I have found your information very enlightening and it leaves me to believe that we may very well have some family connection since all your information comes from Georgia and N. Carolina.

I have the delayed birth certificate issued in the 1940's by the State of Georgia for my ggrandpa, Rupert Earl Snead. That is how I learned the name of his parents, (my g g grandparents) Robert Edward Snead and Mary Frances Stowers, both from Georgia. I have reason to believe that Robert Edward was also married more than once. I have one great aunt left from that generation, although she is now in a nursing home and not too good at remembering things anymore. She lives a good distance from me now and I have very little communciation with her any logner. A few years ago she told me that her husband, Rupert Earl II (the oldest child of Rupert Earl) had also had a step mother named Mamie. The 1920 Census shows Robert Edward married to Mamie, with children Bessie and Jack. The 1930 Census shows Robert E. married to Mary Frances and no children were listed? My problem is that from some old letters I have and things that my aunt did remember, the names all fit in one way or another and at one time or another.

I find it all very fascinating and I love working out this great puzzle. Again, I appreciate all the info you sent and will keep in touch.

Jennifer

Posted: 28 Apr 2004 8:47PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jan 2005 3:17AM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions