Search for content in message boards

STEWARD, STEWART, STUARD AND STUART in MS

STEWARD, STEWART, STUARD AND STUART in MS

Posted: 15 Oct 2001 4:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: STEWARD, STEWART, STUARD AND STUART
Does anyone know of a Nathan Stuart; born abt. 1840's in AL. His mother name is Jeannie. In the 1880 Mississippi, Desoto County Census, she was abt. 60 years old. Nathan married Bettie Moody in 1870. There were several children; Tom, Epfriam, Annie, Eliza, George and others.

Re: STEWARD, STEWART, STUARD AND STUART in MS

Posted: 16 Nov 2008 4:57PM GMT
Surnames: Stewart, Stuart, Steward, Shiart, Thompson
What other information have you found out about the Mississippi connection to the "Stewart" name? Are all of your "Stewart"'s from Alabama or Mississippi? And did any of your "Stewart"'s migrate from Desoto county into neighboring counties?

Although I'm sure now that "Nathan Stuart/Stewart" was a common name of the times, it seems too much of a coincidence not to follow it up. I am also searching for further information on a "Nathan Stewart".

Posted: 19 Feb 2009 5:56AM GMT
DID ANNIE HAVE A SISTER NAME LAURA ? IF SO PELASE LET ME KNOW. BECAUSE MY GREAT AUNTS NAME WAS ANNIE STEWART MARRIED NAME WAS MC CANN FROM LAURA MISS. MY E-MAIL IS FORDTRULYBLESS@YAHOO.COM

Posted: 12 Apr 2009 7:40PM GMT
Surnames: All Stewart Spellings
Hi, its been awhile sine our last email. Did you ever find and Stewart relatives in or near Desoto County, MS?

Posted: 17 Apr 2009 7:08PM GMT
Surnames: Stewart, Steward, Stuart, Stuard, Shiart, Thompson
Wow. . .I'm so glad that you took the plunge to reply.

It's been sooo long since I've been on here, I've been seriously thinking of discontinuing my membership. With the current economic environment, having this account is a bit of a luxury, especially if you're not using it.

To answer your question: I was never really sure if there was a connection between my Great-Grandfather Nathan Stewart and Desoto County, but in any great detective story every coincidence should be pursued just in case. MY Nathan Stewart was married to Nora Jackson in June 1876 in Yazoo Co. (and there is a record for Carroll Co. as well). I have actually seen the marriage certificate on microfiche (very cool). What I'm currently seeking is the death certificate and or any other document that will tell me HIS Father's name. I've had no success. I also tried another approach -- researching his only known relatives. According to my Father, Charles Stewart (now 78), my Grandfather had a brother named George Thompson. Apparently there was no explanation ever given as to why his last name was different. Also, my Grandfather and his Dad were very dark skinned apparently, while this George Thompson was a very fair skinned man. He also came to Carroll Co. with money and property, and was able to purchase even more property in Teoc, so he had to have been a freed Slave or a "freeman" from birth.

If you have any clues, or have found anything in your search that might not have applied to your realtives yet might apply to mine, please let me know. . .
per page

Find a board about a specific topic