Search for content in message boards

Indiana-Detroit Traders/Metis

Indiana-Detroit Traders/Metis

Jennifer Harrison (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brouillette, Shepoconah, Laselle, Lacelle, Bonneau, Doudevoir
I'm interested in other researchers working on trading connections out of Detroit. I'm trying to trace a metis, Tahquakeah or Autumn aka Jean Baptiste Brouillette who was b. c 1796 near Terre Haute, Indiana. He came to Detroit at age 10 or about 1806. I don't know why, or with who, or for how long. He returns to Indiana and marries the eldest dau. of Frances Slocum (aka Maconaquah a white captive) living as a Miami in the Wabash valley.

How can I learn more about Tahquakeah in Detroit? His father is Michel Brouillette, who comes from a lines of traders out of Quebec. The Wabash traders were supervised and supplied by the Detroit traders and merchants. Some of Michel Brouillette's trading/family connections include the sons of Jacques LaSelle including Hiacinth, Charles Boneau, Dudevoir, Renaudet.

Would the metis son be sent to Detroit possibly as a result of death of his mother? To be educated? To escape hostile relations on the Wabash? Tips, leads appreciated.

I'm writing a narrative on this family as a final project for grad school. An impt aspect of this story is the "in-between" nature of life as a metis. Interested in learning about the experience of other metis.

J-B Brouillette & Frances Slocum

Posted: 10 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jul 2001 4:33AM GMT
Surnames: Brouillette, Slocum
Is the Slocum you seek in any way connected with Deaf Man Shepoekonah? He had a daughter named Ozahshinquah Jane (among other children) by a Frances Slocum in about 1815 (Miami Reservation).

If so, your Detroit-area leads may include the name Bondy. I have some information (albeit limited) on these folks.

Also, I am a direct descendent of many of the Québec- and Detroit-area fur-trade patriarchs (names include Bourassa, Réaume, Chevalier, Boucher, Pelletier, etc.) as well as the direct descendent of Roch Manitouabeouich & Outchibahabanouk Oueue (their daughter and Martin Prevost, according to Jesuit records, were the first marriage between an European and native/First Nations woman). Still other of my family were voyageurs (and translators) who spent time at Michilmackinac and the St. Joseph Mission before settling in Detroit and at across the river in Essex County, Ontario.

(Of more interest to you may be my connections to J-B & Toussaint Charbonneau.)

At any rate, email me and let's compare notes. It seems as though we're on the same research path.
Posted: 30 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Nov 2001 12:29AM GMT
Surnames: Brouillet, Bourassa
Hello Jennifer,

Is this your Jean Baptiste Brouillet? I have more info on the Bourassa tie in. I also have a marriage for Bonno and LaCaille/Lacoy.(which is similar to your other surnames) He died 9/1919 and they had 12 children. This may not be your line. Would like to share info with you.
BettyK

Descendants of Jean-Baptiste Brouillet

Generation No. 1

1. Jean-Baptiste1 Brouillet He married Marie-Anne Josette Bourassa November 21, 1774 in St.
Joseph de Chambly, Quebec, daughter of Francois-Albert Bourassa and Marie-Anne Brosseau.

Bourassa, Réaume, Chevalier, Boucher, Pelletier, Charbonneau)

Posted: 30 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bourassa, R�aume, Chevalier, Boucher, Pelletier, Charbonneau
Hello Madeleine,

I was pleased to see the surnames you are researching. I also have all these names in my lines and would like to compare notes with you and share info. To get me started what where some of the first names and bithdates to get us connected? Glad to share what I have.
BettyK

Brouillette/French in Chambly

Jennifer (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Brouillette, Bonneau, Bono
Betty,

Thanks for your message. The Jean Baptiste you posted in not the same man as French-Miami Jean Baptiste aka Tahquakeah (Autumn). But it's likely they descend from the same line of Brouillettes if he was married in Chambly.

In the next few days I'll export a brief family chart and post it here. Bono might also be Bonneau, in fact I do recall another marriage to that family in the line I'm working on. I've learned to read French phonetically as it mutates so quickly to new forms ;-)

How would you pronounce LaCaille/Lacoy ? Would it be similar to LaSelle? The LaSelles were originally known as La Cell[e]. There were a no. of Lacelles who traded out of Detroit including Jacques, Francois, Antoine, Hiacinth.

Jennifer

Jennifer

Chart for Immigrant Brouillet

Jennifer Harrison (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Brouillet, Bonneau, Bourassa, Menard, Renaudet, Dudevoir, Drouet de Richerville, Dubois, Chartier, Laselle, Boucher, Godfroy, Bondy, McKenny, Shepoconah
Betty,

Finally have a chart I'm willing to post on the web. It traces the descendents of immigrant Michel Brouillet from Quebec, some come to the U.S. and trade on the Wabash being connected to Detroit by merchants and suppliers etc. I know the LaSelles resided for a time in Detroit. They aren't related to the family, but one of the Brouillette's worked for Antoine LaSelle for a time.

This isn't a comprehensive chart of all descendents, but traces the line I'm working on. However it does include the marriage you mentioned. Let me know what you think and hope this helps other researchers.

>Descendants of Jean-Baptiste Brouillet
>
>Generation No. 1

>1. Jean-Baptiste1 Brouillet He married Marie-Anne Josette >Bourassa November 21, 1774 in St.
>Joseph de Chambly, Quebec, daughter of Francois-Albert >Bourassa and Marie-Anne Brosseau.

Chart for MICHEL BROUILLET IMMIGRANT: http://www.netcom.com/~jahmn/famtree.jpg

best,
Jennifer Harrison

Chevalier

Linda Loebach (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Chevalier
Hi,
I am look for Anthony Chevalier born 1753 in St. Malo, France.
Thank-you for any information
Posted: 19 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Chevalier
Hello, I do have quite a little on the Chevalier families but not on a Anthony b. 1753 France. If you have other given names, I would be glad to compare notes with you.
BettyK
Posted: 12 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 May 2002 2:26PM GMT
Surnames: Chevalier, Sylvester, Lincoln
You said you had a lot of information on Chevalier. Do you have any on Francis Chevalier, born probably late 1800s, or is son, John C. Chevalier, b.28 Aug 1924, d.4 April 1948. Francis's mother-in-law was (Al)Dora Sylvester. Dora's mother was Maggie, a Native American. Thanks in advance for your help.

Brouillet/Brouillette

Don Brouillette (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Brouillet, Brouillette
I have considerable information on the Brouillet's/Brouillette's/. Would you be willing to share?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions