Search for content in message boards

Peter "Patrick" Jordan

Peter "Patrick" Jordan

Brian Nilson (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jan 2003 7:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for info on my 5th Great-Grandfather Peter "Patrick" JORDAN.
Peter "Patrick" JORDAN was born about 1738 in County Mayo, Ireland. He died 9 Aug
1798 in Mercer Co., Kentucky.
Peter married Mary SHULL. Mary was born 1742 in Loudoun, Virginia

Re: Peter "Patrick" Jordan

Posted: 5 Jan 2003 2:57AM GMT
Edited: 25 Jul 2003 11:46AM GMT
Surnames: Jordan
Could you please email me. I think I may be able to help you.

I have a typed version of his Will. A short list of his children. I descend from his son Jacob Jordan who married Mary Ann Shriver. He had a set of twin sons. Patrick and Peter. He had a daughter Elizabeth, Son Garrett, and maybe sons John and Jared. He was brought possibly to this country as a prisoner. Sold into indentured servitude to Isaac Zane. This is still being investigated.

Posted: 6 Feb 2003 6:07AM GMT
Edited: 26 Apr 2006 4:51PM GMT
Jordan Genealogy
· ID: I325
· Name: Patrick Peter JORDAN
· Sex: M
· Birth: ABT. 1725 in County Mayo, Ireland
· Death: 9 AUG 1798 in Mercer County, KY
· Note:
Notes for PATRICK 'PETER' JORDAN:
Sources for a lot of this information is through the internet. I searched the genealogy web sites. I searched the query boards, also the family trees that were posted as gedcom files. I would post queries of my own and I received responses. I will list the email addresses of people that are researching the family lines as we are, on a seperate resource list, and most of them gave this information to us of the earlier Jordan's. My grandmother, Donna Edith Jordan Kuebler and my mother RoseMary Margaret Wespesser Kuebler researched some and filled in most of the immediate lines. I myself have completed some research have added it to the database.

Patrick immigrated to America. Virginia. Served in the Revolutionary War. After the Revolutionary War moved to Kentucky with some of his sons. One son, Jacob moved to Pennsylvania, then later to Ohio.

(From "The Genealogy of Jacob Jordan and Mary Ann Shriver" = There is a book written on our Jordans. It was a reunion in 1967. LDS site has it.):
1790 Census of Virginia, Frederick Co. - Peter Jordan listed immediately after Adam Shriver. Adam Shriver was the father of Jacob Jordan's wife, Mary Ann Shriver. It is rumored that Patrick was known as Peter to his German wife and friends. {In all records in this country, including his will, he is listed as Peter Jordan.} Being the youngest son, his Irish family had expected him to join the priesthood. He had other plans, and boarded a German ship bound for the colonies. He met his future wife aboard that ship.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will of Patrick "Peter" JORDAN, Mercer Co., KY
Will Book 3, pages 113-114,
Written 8 Aug. 1798,
Proved March 1799,
Probated May 1805:

In the name of God amen, I Peter Jordan of the County of Mercer and State of Kentucky being very sick and weak in body and of perfect mind and memory thanks be given unto God, calling to mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die do make and ordain this my last will and testament, that is to say principally and first of all I recommend my soul into the hand of almighty God that gave it and my body I recommend to the earth to be buried in Decent Christian Burial at the discretion of my Executors, nothing doubting but at the general resurrection I shall receive the same again by the mighty power of God and as touching such worldly Estate wherewith it has pleased God to bless me in this life, I give demise and dispose of the same in the following manner and form:

First I give and bequeath unto Gerard Jordan and John Jordan, my grandsons, they two being Patrick Jordan's sons, the half of the tract of land which Patrick Jordan now lives upon to include the plantation said Patrick Jordan now lives on. Also Gerard and John Jordan above mentioned is not to disinherit their father Patrick Jordan, but let him have the privilege of living on said plantation as long as he shall see proper and raise such produce as he shall see proper on said plantation. Also Gerard and John Jordan shall pay their Brother Peter Jordan ten pounds each in property within the term of two years.

Also I give to my well beloved sons Peter Jordan and Jacob Jordan the other half of the before mentioned tract of land to be equally divided between the two if Jacob Jordan comes personally and demands his part of said land he is to have it, otherwise it is to be Peter Jordans.

Also my account against Jacob Frowmand give and bequeath to my son Patrick Jordan to settle and do with as he shall see proper, and do hereby utterly disallow, revoke, and disown all and every other former testament, wills, legacies, bequeaths and Executors by me in anywise before named, willed and bequeathed, ratifying and confirming this and no other to be my last will and testament in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this ninth day of August in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and ninety eight.
{Signed} Peter Jordan {Seal}
Signed, sealed, published, pronounced and declared by the said Peter Jordan as his last will and testament in the presents of us who in his presents and in the presents of each other have here unto subscribed our names: Jno. Gibson, Jesse Slaughter, Jesse (his mark) McGuire.

1799 March County Court: The last will of Peter Jordan deceased was exhibited into court and proved by the oath of Jesse Slaughter, one of the subscribing witnesses thereto and ordered to be certified. Teste Tho. Allin, CC

Mercer County Sct. May County Court 1805. This last Will & Testament of Peter Jordan was fully proved by the oath of John Gibson, a subscribing witness thereto and ordered to be recorded. Attest Tho. Allin, CC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From "The Book of Irish Families Great & Small"
Volume I, 2nd edition,
by Michael C. O'Laughlin, p. 159:

Mac JORDAN - - - - - Mac Jordan, MacSiurtan, MacShurton

The JORDAN family were among the chief Anglo-Norman and English settlers of Ulidia under De Courcey and his successors. Ulidia was an ancient territorial division which included Down and parts of Antrim.

It is further stated in Keatings History that the de Exeters of Mayo changed their name to 'Mac Jordan.' Settling in Ireland following the Norman invasions of the 12th century, this family assumed the name of MacSiurtan or Mac Jordan.

'Mac Jordans Country' is found in the barony of Gallen in Co. Mayo. The name when translated means descendant of Jordan, in this case one Jordan d'Exeter.

Those of the name given above became thoroughly Irish in manner and custom, and adapted well to the way of life in Ireland.

In the 17th century JORDAN was a principal name of Waterford and Jordane is found in Tipperary. Other spellings of the name include JORDON, JORDIN, and JORDANE.

By the time of the 1890 birth index 'JORDAN' was main spelling of the name, with births recorded in Dublin, Mayo, Antrim and Galway.
More About PATRICK "PETER" JORDAN:
Census: 1790, Frederick Co., VA
Military service: Veteran of the Revolutionary War. Said to have been among the old men & boys to guard Burgoyne's men

Misc. #2: May 1805, Will probated
Residence 1: 24 July 1758, Frederick Co., VA
Residence 2: March 1799, Will proved

Marriage 1 Mary ELIZABETH , Schull, Shull, Tistan b: UNKNOWN in Germany
· Married: ABT. 1748 in Virginia
Children
1. Patrick H. JORDAN b: ABT. 1749 (Twins?)
2. Peter JORDAN b: ABT. 1748 (Twins?)
3. Jacob JORDAN , Sr. b: 1764 in Louden County, VA (?)
4. Elizabeth JORDAN b: 18 MAR 1770 in Louden County, VA(?)
5. John Y. JORDAN b: ABT. 1775 (?)
6. Garrett JORDAN b: BET. 1775 –1780(Not plausible) d.1777
7. Jared JORDAN b: UNKNOWN

· ID: I329
· Name: Patrick H. JORDAN
· Birth: ABT. 1749
· Death: UNKNOWN
· Note:
Notes for PATRICK H. JORDAN:
Twin brother to Peter Jordan. This Patrick could be getting mixed up with his father who went by Peter and sometimes Patrick. A lot of the dates listed here fall within the years of his father who was still alive.
From "Collin's Historical Sketches of KY", p551 - In June or July, 1776, Patrick Jordan, James Waters, Thomas Clark and R. Hendricks built a few rounds of a cabin on a branch of Johnson's Fork of Licking, belted a few trees, and marked a white oak tree, "R H 1776". This was afterwards known as James Waters entry. (see also p 606 in photocopies from bk)

p176: the McAfee party surveyed land at Frankfort, and were on the north side of the Kentucky River several miles above that point. p177: In April 1775 Joseph Lindsay, Wm. Lindsay, Patrick Jordan, Garret Jordan, and others met at Drennon's Lick ) near the Kentucky River in Henry Co.) and came up to Elkhorn, thence up Elkhorn to the forks, from {there} to the place now called Georgetown and thence to the place where Lexington now stands* {*Depositions of Patrick Jordan, 24 August 1797, at Harrodsburg, and of 5 others} their business to explore the country and make improvements. The morning after they encamped at... where Lexington now is...Patrick Jordan went alone down the north side of ...the fork...and discovered a large spring... When he returned to Camp and told of {it}, Joseph Lindsay said he would have it, and offered Jordan 2 guineas to go with him and show it...
p106: Deed abstracts, court order and suits, Jan Court 1802: Deposition of Patrick Jordan to Est. land of Jno. Haggin. Sep 1803, Deposition of Patrick Jordan, age 54, to Est. James Wrights (Military) Survey.

From "History of Washington County, Pennsylvania", edited by Boyd Crumrine, Philadelphia, 1882, p.701:
John FIFE came to this township (Cecil Twp.), and on the 22d of February, 1799, purchased four hundred acres of land of Patrick Jordan, adjoining land of Rueben WAITS.

From "The Kentucky Gazette, 1801-1820, Genealogical & Historical Abstracts" by Karen Mauer Green, 1985, p 9:

Volume XV, Number 785, Monday, 5 October 1801:
A list of letters at the post office in Danville: ........,Patrick Jordan on the Salt River,..... Entered by Jos. Hertick, post master.

And from "The Kentucky Gazette, 1797-1800, Genealogical & Historical Abstracts" by Karen Mauer Green, 1983, p 200:

Volume XI, Number 577, 22 November 1797:
Benjamin Clarke, agent for John Clarke, regarding a land claim. Mentions: William Keith (living about 2 miles from Georgetown in Nelson County) and Patrick Jordan.

From "Kentucky in Retrospect: Noteworthy Personages and Events in Kentucky History, 1792-1967", Sesquicentennial Edition, 1942 by Mrs. Wm. Preston Drake, Judge Samuel M. Wilson and Mrs. Wm. Breckenridge Ardery; New Material - 175th Anniversary Edition, 1967 by Glenn Clift; Pub. by The Kentucky Historical Society, Frankfort, KY, 1967, p191:

"Others found to have been in Fort Harrod through Draper manuscripts and depositions: Thos. Allin {County Clerk who signed the will of Peter Jordan when it was proven in 1799, and probated in 1805},......., Col. Boone and family,.............,General George Rogers Clarke,......., Patrick Jordan,.......,McAfee brothers - Robert, Jas., George, Wm., and Samuel,......."

From "Records of the District of West Augusta, Ohio County & Yohogania Co., VA" by Loveless, 1970, p 218 --
Minutes of Court of Yohogania Co.
Court met according to adjournment April 29, 1778.
Patrick Jourden on list of jurors.

Also, p. 249 - Yohogania Co. Court, August 24, 1778.
"Patrick JORDAN acknowledged two deeds of Bargain and Sale to Charles NORRIS which are ordered to be recorded."

and page 343 - Yohogania Co. Court, May 24, 1779
"Two deeds Patrick JOURDAN to John FIFE proved by Dorsey PENTECOST and Ralph BOWKER, two of the witnesses. Ordered to ly {sic} for further proof."

From "Kentucky Records, Vol. II", p105: (Bourbon Orders)
January Court, 1802 -- Deposition of Patrick JORDON to establish land of Jno. Haggin. Deposeth: in spring of 1799, in company with Thos. Clarke, was on way to Martin's Station; a man named Berry informed him John Haggin was about erecting a station on that place and he had joined sd. Haggin in cutting the logs and was going there to live. In month of Aug. or Sept. preceding, while at Harrodsburg, Jno. Haggin had informed him he would erect station and when he set out he accompanied him part of way. Hugh Shannon deposth: in fall of 1778 he came to place with Jno. Haggin in order to build for sd. Haggin, himself and others, having thought of living there as soon as station was erected. Patrick Jordan deposeth: in 1776, in company with Jno. Townsend and sd. Jno. Haggin, made improvement.

p. 106 - September Court, 1803 -- Deposition of Patrick Jordon, aged 54 years., to establish James Wright's (Military) survey. In yr. 1775 came with Jno. Floyd, Jacob Baughman, Spottswood Dandridge and Thos. Carpenter to place in question, called for in patent as Jas. Wright's Military survey. Daniel Chambers told him his son, Silas Chambers, had blazed out corner abt. 1784-5. McDowell's Military survey was above Wright's on creek. p. 111

More About PATRICK JORDAN:
Military service: Militia & Regulars, Illinois Dept.9
Veteran: Revolutionary War

Marriage Notes for PATRICK JORDAN and ? UNKNOWN:
1810 KY Census, Mercer County:

JOURDON, Patrick 00011 00001 000

(1 male 26-45 years, 1 male over 45 years; 1 female over 45 years.)

Father: Patrick Peter JORDAN b: ABT. 1725 in County Mayo, Ireland
Mother: Mary ELIZABETH , Schull, Shull, Tistan b: UNKNOWN in Germany

Marriage 1 UNKNOWN
Children
1. Peter R. JORDAN b: 8 FEB 1778
2. Garret 'Gerard' JORDAN b: UNKNOWN
3. John JORDAN b: UNKNOWN
1 Patrick Peter JORDAN b: ABT. 1725 d: 9 AUG 1798
+ Mary ELIZABETH , Schull, Shull, Tistan b: UNKNOWN d: UNKNOWN
2 Patrick H. JORDAN b: ABT. 1749 d: UNKNOWN
+ UNKNOWN
3 Peter R. JORDAN b: 8 FEB 1778 d: 10 FEB 1848
+ Sarah BAKER b: 22 JUL 1779 d: ABT. 1870
3 Garret 'Gerard' JORDAN b: UNKNOWN d: UNKNOWN
3 John JORDAN b: UNKNOWN
2 Peter JORDAN b: ABT. 1748 d: 2 AUG 1824
+ Susannah SHUTT b: ABT. 1762
3 Mary JORDAN b: BET. OCT - NOV 1787 d: UNKNOWN
+ Unknown DISPONETTE
3 John M. JORDAN b: ABT. 1789 d: UNKNOWN
3 Abraham JORDAN b: 25 AUG 1799 d: 23 APR 1839
3 Boy JORDAN b: ABT. 1803(*Possibly Gggrandfather James R. Jordan)
3 Girl JORDAN b: UNKNOWN
3 Girl JORDAN b: UNKNOWN
================================================================
· Name: Peter JORDAN
· Birth: ABT. 1748
· Death: 2 AUG 1824 in On Salt River in Mercer County, KY
· Note:
Twin brother to Patrick Jordan. Might get mixed up with his brother or father since father sometimes went by both names.

I have a copy of Peter Jordan pension File #W9091. Posted by a Volunteer on Sunday, 22 August 1999 on Mercer County, Kentucky Web Site. It states this:

Name: Jordan, Peter 1818 - date of request
Pension #: W9091 - 69 - subtract age
State: VA 1749 - year of birth
Ap. Date: 2 Nov 1818

JORDAN, Peter: Peter Jordan a resident of Mercer Co., Ky...first enlisted in 1776 in Frederick Co., VA. In 1820 he stated he has a wife & 4 children dependent on his support, a son about 17 years & 3 daughters. From old age & hardships of life I am now totally disabled from performing manual labor myself, but have to depend upon the labor of my son who is about to leave me, as his 2 oldest brothers have already done to work and shift for themselves.

Spouse: Susannah Shutt 1838 - date of request
Sp. Age: 76
Sp. Ap. Date: 24 Sep 1838 1762 - year of birth
Susannah Shutt: She is the widow of Peter Jordan who was on the pension Roll. She married Peter Jordan in 1786 about 2 to 3 weeks before Christmas in Frederick Co., Virginia on the Waters of Cedar Creek, not far from General Zane's Iron Works. Her husband died 2 August 1824 in Mercer County, Kentucky.

Affiant 1: Col. Abraham Bowman
Col. Abraham Bowman: He commanded the 8th VA. Regiment in 1776 & he was acquainted with Peter Jordan & says his service as stated by Peter Jordan is correct.

Affiant 2: Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan: Justice of the Peace for Mercer County, KY states in 1838, that Mrs. Susanna Jordan is his aunt & they moved from Virginia to Kentucky about 1798.

Affiant 3: Mary Disponette
Mary Disponette: 24 Sep 1838...Mrs. Mary Disponette, states she is the oldest child of Susannah & Peter Jordan deceased & she was born in October or November 1787 & is now 51 years old & well remembers her parents and family moving from Frederick Co., VA in the fall of 1797 & landed in KY about May 1798 & settled on the Salt River in Mercer Co. where my father lived until his death on 2 August 1824 & my mother, Susannah Jordan still lives there.

Affiant 4: John M. Jordan
John M. Jordan: 24 Sep 1838...from the best recollections of his parents he was born 1789 & is now 49 and well recollects coming to KY...in May of 1798 & settled in Mercer Co.. My father died 2 August 1824.

Affiant 5: Magdalen Hatfield
Magdalen Hatfield: Brookville, Franklin Co., Ind...Mrs. Magdalen Hatfield, age 66, states that Susannah Jordan married Peter Jordan, now deceased, in the fall of 1786 in Frederick Co., VA...She is a sister of said Susannah, whose maiden name was Shutt & this deponent lived with Peter & Susanna Jordan while they lived in VA. for 6 or 6 1/2 years, after their marriage. That they migrated from VA to KY in 1798. This deponent was at their residence in Mercer Co., KY in 1806.

Order the full pension: Jesse Hagan
Other research on this applicant: Harrodsburg Historical Society

Notes from Pattie Hannon:
From "Historical Register of Virginians in the Revolution - Soldiers, Sailors, Marines - 1775-1783", by John H. Gwathney, 1938: 8th Virginia Regiment, Continental Line.

Pension record in National Archives shows: Peter Jordan, b. ca 1749, VA;p d. 8-2-1824, Salt River, Mercer Co., KY; enlisted ca 6-1-1776, Frederick Co., VA for 2 years, in Capt. Wm. Crogan's Co., Col. Abraham Bowman's 8th VA Regiment; later transferred to Capt. Jonathon Clark's Co., 3rd Regiment; was in battle of Germantown; discharged at Valley forge, PA summer 1779; m. early Dec. 1786, near near Gen. Zane's Iron Works, Cedar Creek, Frederick Co., VA (by Rev. Raypass or Respass), Susannah Shutt (b. ca 1762; living in Sept. 1838; had sister Mrs. Magdalena Hatfield, b. ca 1772, r. with Peter and Susannah for 6 or 7 years in VA; r. 1838, Brooksville, Franklin Co., IN); moved from Frederick Co., VA, fall 1797, reaching Salt River, Mercer Co., KY, May 1798, and remained there; Rev. Pension #W9091. 6 Children living in 1820, 2 sons moved away, 1 son , 3 dau at home.

From "Collin's Historical Sketches of KY", p519 - ...the following persons were among those who resided at Harrodsburg, during some portion of ..1775, after March 11, which was the date of the first arrival and re-occupancy of the cabins built in 1774--and which was at least 20 days before Col. Daniel Boone's company reached the Kentucky River and laid the foundations of Boonesborough. Fourteen of them raised corn, within a few miles of Harrodsburg, and 2 of them near Lexington, that season: ... Garrett Jordan, Patrick Jordan ... .

From Rev. War Pension Papers of Peter Jordan:; Number W9091:

State of Kentucky, Fayette Circuit Sct.
Be it remembered that on the 22nd day of September 1820, Peter Jordan made affidavit in open court and produced a schedule of his property amounting to two hundred and ninety two dollars and fifty cents, agreeably to an act of Congress passed the first of May 1820 concerning pensioners which was ordered to be entered of record in the words and figures following to wit: District of Kentucky, Fayette circuit Sct. On this 22nd day of September 1820, personally appeared in open court, being a court of records for the said district & circuit of Fayette County, Peter Jordan, aged seventy years, resident in Mercer County, Kentucky, in said district, who being first duly sworn according to law, doth on his oath declare that he served in the Revolutionary War as follows: That he enlisted in the year 1776 in Frederick County, Virginia in Capt. Clarkes Company, in the Eighth Virginia Regiment on Continental Establishment commanded by Col. Bowman. That he continued in said Regt. in the service of the United States for two years, when he was discharged by Gen. Scott, that his original declaration is dated the eleventh day of October 1819, and his pension certificate the 1st day of Nov. 1819, and No. 15,601.

And I do solemnly swear that I was a resident citizen of the United States, on the18th day of March 1818, and that I have not since that time by gift, sale or in any manner disposed of my property or any part thereof with intent thereby for to diminish it, as to bring myself within the provision of an act of Congress entitled "an act to provide for certain persons engaged in the land and naval service of the United States in the Revolutionary War" passed on the 18th day of March 1818, and that I have not, nor has any person in trust for me, any property or ???, contract or debts, due to me; nor have I any income other than what is contained in the schedule hereto annexed and by me subscribed. 80 acres of third rate land, about

20 acres cleared; valued................................$160.00
one horse........................................................ 30.00
fourteen head of cattle, big & little.................. 70.00
two head of sheep.......................................... 2.50
Between 20 & 30 head of hogs, big & little.... 30.00
$292.50

About twenty five dollars due me, and I am giving about thirty dollars.
Peter Jordan {his mark}
My occupation is farming - I have a wife and four children now living with me dependent for support, a son about seventeen years old and three daughters. From old age and the hardships I have experienced through life, I am entirely disabled from performing manual labor myself, but have to depend upon the labor of my son who is now about to leave me as his two eldest brothers have already done, to work and shift for themselves.
Sworn to and declared, on the 22nd day of September 1820 before me,
W. Warren, Circuit Judge

Also from Rev. War Pension Papers, Cert #W9091:

District of Kentucky, Fayette County Sct.

On this 11th day of October 1819 before me the subscriber one of judges of the Fayette Circuit Court for the said district personally appeared Peter Jordan aged sixty-nine years, resident of Mercer County in the said district, who being by me first duly sworn, according to law, doth , on this oath, make the following declaration in order to obtain the provision made by the late act of Congress entitled "an act to provide for certain persons engaged in the land and naval service of the United States in the Revolutionary War" that he the said Peter Jordan enlisted in the year 1776 in Frederick County, Virginia in the Company commanded by Captain Jonathon Clarke of the 8th Virginia Regiment on the Continental line Commanded by Col. Abraham Bowman, for two years that he continued to serve in said corps on in the service of the United States until the spring of 1778, when he was discharged from service by Gen. Charles Scott at the Valley Forge in the State of Pennsylvania, in consequence of his time of service having expired, that he was in the Battle of Germantown, and a skirmishing party at "Darby" state of Pennsylvania, and that he is now in reduced circumstances and stands in need of the assistance of his country for support and that he has now no other evidence of his power of said service except Col. Abraham Bowman, sworn to and declared before me the day and year aforesaid. He further states that he ........(basically repeats what was just said.)

I Peter Jordan of the county of Mercer, State of Kentucky, do hereby state on oath that about the 1st of June 1776 I enlisted as a regular soldier with Capt. William Croghan of the 8th Virginia Regt., commanded by Col. Abraham Bowman of Gen. Jonathon Clarke (this name is crossed out and the following written above it:) of Gen. Scott's Brigade, & was afterward transferred to the company of Capt. Jonathon Clarke of 3rd Regt. That I enlisted for two years and served faithfully as a regular soldier in the Continental Line in 3rd Regiment, was honorably discharged at Valley Forge in Pennsylvania in the summer of 1779. I was in the Battle of Germantown, have lost or mislaid my discharge and I know of no other person at this time by whom I can prove my service at this time and I hereby relinquish all other claims I may have to any further pension, and I am now old and unable to ??? hard labor and so reduced are my circumstances that I stand in need of assistance from my country for support given under my hand this 2nd day of Nov. 1818. Peter Jordan {his mark}

More About PETER JORDAN:
Military service: Revolutionary War, Continental Line, Regiment

Notes: JORDAN, PETER: Peter Jordan, a resident of Mercer Co., KY...first enlisted in 1776 in Frederick Co., VA. In 1820 he stated he had a wife & 4 children dependent on his support, a son about 17 years & 3 daughters. "From old age & hardships of life, I am now totally disabled from performing manual labor myself, but have to depend upon the labor of my son who is about to leave me, as his 2 oldest brothers have already done to work and shift for themselves."

Spouse: Susannah SHUTT age 76 Sp. Ap. Date: 24 Sept. 1838

Susannah SHUTT: She is the widow of Peter JORDAN who was on the pension roll. She married Peter Jordan in 1786 about 2 or 3 weeks before Christmas in Frederick Co., VA on the Waters of Cedar Creek, not far from General Zane's Iron Works. Her husband died 2 Aug. 1824 in Mercer Co., KY.

Affiant 1: Col. Abraham BOWMAN: He commanded the 8th VA Regiment in 1776 and he was acquainted with Peter JORDAN and says his service as stated by Peter JORDAN is correct.

Affiant 2: Peter JORDAN: Justice of the Peace for Mercer Co., KY, states in 1838, that Mrs. Susannah JORDAN is his aunt and they moved from VA to KY about 1798.

Affiant 3: Mary DISPONETTE: 24 Sept. 1838 - Mrs. Mary DISPONETTE states she is the oldest child of Susannah and Peter JORDAN, deceased, and she was born in Oct. or Nov. 1787 and is now 51 years old and well remembers her parents and family moving from Frederick Co., VA in the fall of 1797 and landed in KY about May 1798 and settled on the Salt River in Mercer Co. "where my father lived until the date of his death on 2 Aug. 1824 and my mother, Susannah JORDAN still lives there".

Affiant 4: John M. JORDAN: 24 Sept. 1838 - ...from the best recollections of his parents he was born 1789 and is now age 49 and well recollects coming to KY...in May of 1798 and settled in Mercer Co. "My father died 2 Aug. 1824."

Affiant 5: Magdalen HATFIELD, Brookville, Franklin Co., IN - Mrs. Magdalen HATFIELD, age 66, states that Susannah JORDAN married Peter JORDAN, now deceased, in the fall of 1786 in Frederick Co., VA. She is a sister of said Susannah, whose maiden name was SHUTT, and this deponent lived with Peter & Susannah JORDAN while they lived in VA for 5 or 6 years after their marriage. That they migrated from VA to KY in 1798. This deponent was at their residence in Mercer Co., KY in 1806.

Father: Patrick Peter JORDAN b: ABT. 1725 in County Mayo, Ireland
Mother: Mary ELIZABETH , Schull, Shull, Tistan b: UNKNOWN in Germany

Marriage 1 Susannah SHUTT b: ABT. 1762 in Virginia
· Married: DEC 1786 in Fredrick Co., VA on the Waters of Cedar Creek
Children
1. Mary JORDAN b: BET. OCT - NOV 1787
2. John M. JORDAN b: ABT. 1789
3. Abraham JORDAN b: 25 AUG 1799
4. Boy JORDAN b: ABT. 1803
5. Girl JORDAN b: UNKNOWN
6. Girl JORDAN b: UNKNOWN
================================================================
2 Jacob JORDAN , Sr. b: 1764 d: 22 FEB 1849
+ Mary Ann SHRIVER b: 1766 d: 18 MAR 1834
3 Adam S. JORDAN b: BET. 25 DEC 1785 - 1786 d: 6 OCT 1861
+ Anna MAPLE b: 1783 d: 9 NOV 1856
4 Jacob JORDAN b: BET. 1805 - 1811 d: BET. 1848 - 1849
+ Susanna MCBRIDE b: ABT. 1813 d: UNKNOWN
5 J. JORDAN b: 1830 d: BET. 1840 - 1850
5 Alexander JORDAN b: 6 APR 1832 d: 26 JAN 1842
5 John M. JORDAN b: 1834
+ Eliza Jane FARRA
5 J. JORDAN b: ABT. 1836 d: BET. 1840 - 1850
5 Adam JORDAN b: 1837 d: 28 JUN 1862
+ Delilah COOPER b: 1834 d: 2 FEB 1919
6 John Wesley JORDAN b: 28 MAR 1856 d: 1930
+ Dianah BLOSSER b: 16 FEB 1861 d: 12 MAR 1936
7 Ella JORDAN b: 11 MAR 1879 d: 29 NOV 1949
+ Dorcey Crittenden FOSTER b: 15 JUL 1875 d: 1 AUG 1958
8 Russell Allen FOSTER b: 10 NOV 1898
+ Living THOMPSON
8 Orna Alton FOSTER b: 24 OCT 1900 d: 9 JUL 1901
8 Living FOSTER
+ Living PURTEE
8 Carey Edward FOSTER b: 19 AUG 1904
+ Living CRABTREE
8 Hershall Lee FOSTER b: 24 JAN 1907 d: 30 NOV 1991
8 Elsie Ionne FOSTER b: 26 JAN 1911 d: 9 JAN 1954
+ Living SMITH
7 William A. JORDAN b: 1881 d: 1931
7 Thomas Jefferson JORDAN b: 1883 d: 1928
+ Trin FREE
7 Albert (Bert) A. JORDAN b: 1885 d: 1 APR 1965
+ Margaret MILLER b: 1892 d: 1958
8 Living JORDAN
+ Living SHEETS
8 Edith JORDAN b: 16 AUG 1918
+ Living WILSON
8 Living JORDAN
8 Paul JORDAN b: 12 FEB 1925 d: 1963
+ Living FREDERICK
8 Living JORDAN
+ Living KING
8 Living JORDAN
7 Hattie M. JORDAN b: 24 MAR 1887 d: 1942
+ Edwin Watson JONES b: 2 JAN 1878 d: 26 OCT 1966
8 Living JONES
+ Living BACK
9 Living JONES
9 Living JONES
9 Living JONES
8 Sadie Myrtle JONES b: 3 JUL 1908 d: 1984
8 Living JONES
+ Living MERCER
9 Living MERCER
9 Living MERCER
9 Living MERCER
9 Living MERCER
8 Cleta Maxine JONES b: 26 MAY 1915 d: 5 MAY 1998
+ John William CONNER b: 6 NOV 1913 d: 5 APR 1968
9 Living CONNER
+ Living POHSEN
10 Living CONNER
+ Living WOODS
10 Living CONNER
+ Living AUXT
10 Living CONNER
+ Living WRIGHT
9 Living CONNER
+ Lynn STONEBURNER d: 23 SEP 1986
10 Living STONEBURNER
+ Living O'BRIAN
+ Living JONES
+ Living BITTNER
+ Living GEARHART
10 Living STONEBURNER
+ Living BINGAMON
+ Living CURRENT
9 Shirley Lou CONNER b: 17 MAY 1937 d: 26 SEP 1999
+ Living CURREY
10 Living CURREY
+ Living THOMAS
+ Living SCHUTTE
+ Living TITUS
10 Living CURREY
+ Living WOODWARD
+ Living HACKLEY
9 Living CONNER
+ Living UNKNOWN
10 Living CONNER
10 Living CONNER
+ Living UNKNOWN
+ Living UNKNOWN
8 Living JONES
+ Living RUDD
7 Abraham (Abe) JORDAN b: 21 JUN 1889 d: 1 MAR 1939
+ Jennie Capitelo SMITH b: 10 JUN 1886 d: 18 FEB 1983
8 Living JORDAN
8 Living JORDAN
8 Living JORDAN
8 Living JORDAN
8 Living JORDAN
8 Living JORDAN
8 Living JORDAN
8 Living JORDAN
7 George Washington JORDAN b: 14 AUG 1891 d: 28 JUN 1965
+ Laura Pearl KATES b: 3 JUL 1894 d: 27 MAR 1936
8 Donna Edith JORDAN b: 9 OCT 1913 d: 29 SEP 1990
8 George William JORDAN , Jr. b: 16 SEP 1914 d: 22 APR 1983
8 James Ralph JORDAN b: 7 JUL 1916 d: 25 SEP 1946
8 Living JORDAN
8 Living JORDAN
8 Frederick Leon JORDAN b: 27 MAR 1921 d: 1 SEP 1962
8 Robert Paul JORDAN b: 3 FEB 1923 d: 1980
8 Living JORDAN
8 Richard Kates JORDAN b: 22 FEB 1936 d: 2 APR 1936
7 Bertha JORDAN b: 29 MAR 1893
+ Alva Huffman SMITH b: 17 FEB 1892 d: 12 DEC 1949
8 Living SMITH
8 Living SMITH
8 Living SMITH
+ Living OLVIS
8 Wesley SMITH b: 7 APR 1935 d: 1954
8 Living SMITH
+ Elmer Hayes HATCH b: 10 AUG 1883 d: 18 OCT 1928
8 Living HATCH
8 Nola H. HATCH b: 15 OCT 1915 d: 8 MAR 1997
8 Living HATCH
8 Living HATCH
8 Living HATCH
7 Roy (Tab) JORDAN b: 1895
+ Veda ALLEN b: 1897 d: JUL 1983
8 Living JORDAN
+ Living RHUDE
8 Living JORDAN
+ Living BROWN
8 Living JORDAN
8 Living JORDAN
+ Living DAUGHTERY
8 Living JORDAN
+ Living BILDERBACK
8 Living JORDAN
+ Living WILSON
7 Dorsey Charles JORDAN b: 5 MAY 1897 d: 12 JUL 1979
+ Marjene Cloe KATES b: 20 MAR 1901 d: 31 MAY 1980
8 Lawrence Edwin JORDAN b: BET. 14 MAY 1922 - 1923 d: BET. 24 SEP 1923 - 1924
8 Living JORDAN
8 Living JORDAN
8 Living JORDAN
8 Living JORDAN
8 Living JORDAN
7 Oliver (Ollie) Oscar JORDAN b: 9 JUN 1899 d: 13 FEB 1966
+ Chloe E. ANDERSON b: 25 JAN 1902 d: 1987
8 Living JORDAN
8 Living JORDAN
8 Living JORDAN
7 Lafayette Ernie JORDAN b: 17 MAR 1902 d: 7 MAY 1961
+ Fannie WARNOCK b: 1901 d: 1929
8 Living JORDAN
+ Living VON LAURITTE
8 Living JORDAN
8 Living JORDAN
8 Living JORDAN
8 Living JORDAN
+ Ellen MCCALLISTER b: 30 JUN 1911 d: 12 NOV 1962
7 John Wesley JORDAN , Jr. b: 17 MAR 1902 d: 18 JUN 1971
+ Living GRAY
7 Henry JORDAN b: BET. 1903 - 1910 d: BEF. 1910
7 Anna Belle JORDAN b: UNKNOWN d: BEF. 1910
6 Clark JORDAN b: 4 OCT 1860
6 Adam JORDAN , Jr.
5 Mary JORDAN b: 1840
5 Anise JORDAN b: 1842
5 Ellen JORDAN b: 1844
5 Henry JORDAN b: BET. 1844 - 1845
5 Martha JORDAN b: ABT. 1848
4 William JORDAN b: BET. 1808 - 1809 d: 1883
4 Eleanore JORDAN b: BET. 1811 - 1813
4 Mary JORDAN b: BET. 1812 - 1816
4 Sarah JORDAN b: BET. 1814 - MAR 1815 d: JUN 1890
4 Abraham JORDAN b: BET. 1816 - 1819
4 John A. JORDAN b: JUN 1818 d: OCT 1895
4 Peter JORDAN b: ABT. 1820
4 Susanna JORDAN b: BET. 1821 - 1823
4 Benjamin JORDAN b: BET. 1824 - 1825
4 David JORDAN b: 28 JUL 1826 d: FEB 1888
+ Elizabeth DOWNEY
4 Rachel Ann JORDAN b: BET. 1830 - 1831
3 Peter J. JORDAN b: 7 APR 1787 d: 23 JAN 1868
3 Sarah JORDAN b: 16 MAY 1790 d: 2 NOV 1863
3 Elizabeth JORDAN b: 11 DEC 1791 d: 3 AUG 1876
3 Garrett JORDAN b: 9 FEB 1793 d: BET. 1870 - 1884
3 Abraham JORDAN b: 1 SEP 1797 d: 4 JAN 1868
3 Isaac JORDAN b: 13 APR 1800 d: 29 OCT 1878
3 Jacob JORDAN , Jr. b: BET. 13 APR 1800 - OCT 1867 d: 25 OCT 1867
3 John JORDAN b: 3 FEB 1804 d: 19 MAR 1885
3 Elijah JORDAN b: 6 DEC 1805 d: 7 SEP 1888
3 David S. JORDAN b: 28 JUL 1808 d: 12 JUL 1878
3 Mary Margaret JORDAN
3 Harrison JORDAN
3 Jefferson JORDAN
3 Ellen JORDAN
2 Elizabeth JORDAN b: 18 MAR 1770 d: 2 JUL 1865
+ James LARUE b: 22 APR 1758 d: UNKNOWN
3 Sarah LARUE b: 24 MAY 1794
3 Charity B. LARUE b: 15 APR 1796
3 William B. LARUE b: 20 SEP 1797
3 Pamelia LARUE b: 26 JUL 1799
3 John LARUE b: 6 FEB 1801
3 Margaret LARUE b: 29 OCT 1802
3 James LARUE b: 20 OCT 1804
3 Laban LARUE b: 18 OCT 1806
3 David LARUE b: 23 JAN 1812
3 Elizabeth LARUE b: 7 JUL 1819
2 John Y. JORDAN b: ABT. 1775
+ UNKNOWN
3 Elizabeth JORDAN
+ William CRAIG
2 Garrett JORDAN b: After 1749 d: 11 SEP 1777
===============================================================
· Name: Garrett JORDAN
· Birth: BET. 1775 - 1780
· Death: 11 SEP 1777 in Battle of Brandy Wine Creek or Princeton
· Note:
Notes for GARRETT JORDAN:
From "Collin's Historical Sketches of KY", p519: ...the following persons were among those who resided at Harrodsburg, during some portion of ..1775, after March 11, which was the date of the first arrival and re-occupancy of the cabins built in 1774--and which was at least 20 days before Col. Daniel Boone's company reached the Kentucky River and laid the foundations of Boonesborough. Fourteen of them raised corn, within a few miles of Harrodsburg, and 2 of them near Lexington, that season: ... Garrett Jordan, Patrick Jordan ...

From "Genealogy of Jacob Jordan & Mary Ann Shriver" by the Jordan Reunion Committee, 1967, p3:

"......John H. Gwathmey, 1938, 'Historical Register of Virginians in the Revolution - Soldiers, Sailors, Marines - 1775-1783', Dietz Press, Richmond, VA, p430, lists three familiar names:
Patrick Jordan.....
Peter Jordan......
Garrat Jordan, ........ on list of militia paid off at Pittsburgh (Fort Pitt) in 1775, probably Colonial troops in Dunmore's War late in receiving their pay. Practically all of them immediately joined the revolutionary forces.
The Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D.C., 2-1-1934, wrote Della Finsterwald (K82), 'The records of this office show that one Garrett Jordan served in the Revolutionary War as a private in Capt. William Butler's, later designated Capt. James Chrystie's Co., 3rd Pa. Regiment, commanded successively by Col. Arthur St. Clair and Col. Joseph Wood. He enlisted Feb. 6, 1776, and his name is last borne on the Company Pay Roll for the period from Jan. 1 to Mar. 31, 1777 without remarks as to date of termination of service.'
Pa. Archives, Index to Series 5, Vol. II, p98: Garrett Jordan, Pvt., under Col. Arthur St. Clair, enlisted in vicinity of Greensburg, Westmoreland Co., PA, 1776, Jan. 5-Nov. 25.
Vol. II, p1001: Garrett Jordan, Pvt., Continental Line, 3rd Pa., killed in action. So Garratt was probably the brother killed in the Battle of Brandywine Creek (Sept. 11, 1777), or Battle of Princeton (say others)."

More About GARRETT JORDAN:
Military service: On list of militia paid off at Fort Pitt
Residence: 1775, Resided near Harrodsburg7
Veteran: Revolutionary War
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
2 Jared JORDAN b: UNKNOWN d: UNKNOWN

Karen Martin (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2006 9:07PM GMT
Surnames: Jordan, Harmon, Guinn, Shriver, Saxton, Morris
Hello Corrinna,
We are descended down from Garrett Jordan who married Elizabeth Harmon d/ Conrad and Elizabeth Guinn Harmon. Their daughter Jane Jordan married John Isaac Saxton ca. 1849. Both died in Jackson Co. Ohio.I would like to know more about the other family members and if possible a copy of the will (typed version to put with my records)
I can only share from Garrett's side to present descendants.
You can e-mail me without going through this message board-- so it won't muddy it up too much with questions. Would love to hear from you about our ancestors
Karen Morris Martin

Heather Walker (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2006 4:30AM GMT
Robert:

Do you have any more information on Peter "Patrick" Jordan and where exactly in Ireland he came from? Any information on his parents? I may be going to Ireland this summer and would like to look up info there if possible. If you could get back to me that would be great!
Thanks,
Heather (Jordan) Walker
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions