Search for content in message boards

Significance of Mecklenburg Co. Virginia

Significance of Mecklenburg Co. Virginia

Posted: 21 Feb 2012 11:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
I was wonder what the significance of Mecklenburg County is in genealogy. I have noticed that several of my ancestors came from this area, and have noticed that on a episode of "Who Do You Think You Are" that it was pointed out that a lot of research ends up in Mecklenburg. So what is the significance of this area? Surely, some of you Mecklenburgers have an answer for this. Just curious.

Thanks in advance....
Bob

Re: Significance of Mecklenburg Co. Virginia

Posted: 5 Mar 2012 2:24AM GMT
I would like to know the answer to your question, since I have relatives from this area also.

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 5:28PM GMT
Here are a couple of reference materials:
1) The History of Mecklenburg County from 1740 to 1900 by J B Alexander, MD (this book has been withdrawn from the library but may be available online book store)
2) Life by the Roaring Roanoke, A History of Mecklenburg County, Virginia by Susan L Bracey is also an excellent choice.

Posted: 15 Mar 2012 2:45PM GMT
Most of my Ancestors came from Mecklenburg and Brunswick Counties in Virginia. My research has just shown that they were connected by familial and personal lines in that area and came together to this local, or came later, as they already had family in the area, much as people do today when they relocate, unless it is for a job. One member of a family hears of good bottom land, or an opportunity in another area, the grass is greener, etc. And several of them relocate together, or...others arrive after the first ones already are settled in. Then, they remain bound by area, religion and family ties and intermarry, so many of the same people are in the family trees of the modern citizens of this area.

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 11:24PM GMT
I am also interested in Mecklenburg County, Va. because my maternal great grandparents have long roots there with some relatives still there today. Thank you for sources for some general information.

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 12:06AM GMT
Mecklenburg County, Virginia and Warren County, North Carolina are across the State Line from each other. Prior to the War of Northern Agression, both of these counties were the most influential in their respective States due to the fact of the size and wealth of their tobacco plantations. Both Counties were had a lot of influence socially and politically. Both supported the Confederate cause with their wealth and when the South loss the war, both states lost their wealth and political clout. Due to their geographic locations, the climate and the rich soil, they were very productive when tobacco became King and exported much leaf to England. After the war, many families were unable to support the large expanded family and many moved west.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 1:29AM GMT
Cool, thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions