Search for content in message boards

ROONEY, O'CONNOR, MCCANN

ROONEY, O'CONNOR, MCCANN

Posted: 23 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jul 2004 7:33PM GMT
MICHAEL EDWARD ROONEY was apparently born in Sligo, Ireland,
about 1794. He may have had a sister or mother named BRIDGET O'CONNOR.

According to his son's death certificate, Michael's wife
was named MARY DELLING.

Michael and his wife used to attend the forbidden Catholic
masses at Sligo's "Mass Rock" with their son William, a mere babe in arms,
and there was much fear that his crying would attract Protestant or military attention. (Mind you, I've also heard that it was Mike's parents who attended the Masses, with a priest disguised as a working man holding Mass in a cave and fearing that Mike, a babe in arms, would cry and give them away. Date-wise, that makes more sense, I think.)

Pat McCann and John O'Connor were two Rooney cousins who
emigrated to NYC, and my great-aunt used to write to Pat in Ballygall,
Sligo, after he returned there.

Do our lines cross paths anywhere?

McCann

Michael F. Sheehan (View posts)
Posted: 24 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: McCann
Is there anyone familiar with McCanns of Sligo - and what is proper spelling of place of birth (Mother)
Cloona Cloc Bowlie
Mike Sheehan

Re: ROONEY, O'CONNOR, MCCANN

Posted: 30 Apr 2003 3:51PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jun 2003 12:42AM GMT
Surnames: Rooney
I am helping my friend Ellen Rooney with her Sligo Rooney family. She is descended from John Rooney, born in 1798, cousin of the Michael Rooney listed in this 1998 posting. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Paula (Rooney) Hyre (View posts)
Posted: 22 Dec 2005 5:29PM GMT
I am a descendent of Rooneys supposedly from Sligo,Ireland. We have been trying to confirm this and would like to hear from anyone who might be able to further our research. Thanks.

CAPTAIN JOHN CROSS

Posted: 20 Aug 2008 7:49PM GMT
Surnames: Cross
info from old newspaoer clippings donated to our library
Boston Evening Transcript
Sept.27,1938

Captain John Cross, who's shop sailed between Ipswich, England and Ipswich, Mass.
Robert (1) Cross born in England, June26,1613.
From Ipswich in 1634 via the Mary and John.
Robert (1)born in England June 26, 1613. He settled in the "Cebacco River area where he had a large estate. which he bought in 1654. The 100 acre "Croos Island" he deede to his son Stephen upon his marriage to Elizabeth Chancey in 1672. Robert was in the Pequot War. He was granted land in Winchendon ( for serices in the expedition to Quebec). 1735. Indian troubles caused the early settlers or grantees to abandon the place.
Robert Cross married Aug.20, 1635, Anna Jordan, daughter of Stephen and Susanna Jordon. The family removed to Winchendon, Mass. and later went to Prestion, Conn. where Anna died Nov. 29, 1677. Robert Cross made oath Dec.5, 1693 in a land suit in an Ipswich court that Martha Cross, born March 15, 1643 was the daughter of Robert and Anna.
Ipswich Vital Records give the marriage of Marthy Crose to William Durkye on 12/20/1664.

Posted: 22 Jul 2010 1:56AM GMT
Hi, I'll be posting a new thread on this, but I thought I'd mention that my great-grandmother's name was Mary Mahony and she married a Rooney (first name unknown). Her parents were Seamus Mahony and Bridget O'Connell, according to her death certificate in 1918. The information was given to the cononer by her brother-in-law, so he could have said "O'Connor" instead.. I am finding in my research that many misspelled names appear. Those being counted in each census were at the mercy of the census taker, who transcribed what he heard them say, many times with language barriers....
My point is, maybe there is a connection to our families??

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 9:28PM GMT
Hi, My name is Ellen and I have been in search of my grandmothers family for a long time. She came to the states in april 1899 on the furnessia. The ship manifest said she was a 16 year old dairy maid from Sligo. I just found out she was actually from Kinlough, country Leitrim. They are very close. I also found out that her dad was Dominick O'Connor who married a Catherine Rooney. I believe they had at least 3 other children, perhaps more, Bridget, Denis and Mary. Since Dominick's dad was named Dominick, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a son Dominick. My point is you might want to try the neighboring counties too. Love to hear from you with any other info.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic