Search for content in message boards

How did Smithridge/Chauvin get started?

How did Smithridge/Chauvin get started?

Lene (View posts)
Posted: 12 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jul 2012 2:39PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Haralson, Jones
I'm Trying to find information on my GGGGrandfather who is said to be Benjamin F. Smith who was married to Lavania Haralson and fathered a son Harry from this union.Ben also had an older Daughter from a previous relationship (name unknown). There were also 2 more son he fathered with Nellie Jones, Robert and Edward Smith. If you have any Information on any of these people or their children please contact me. Thanks

Re: How did Smithridge/Chauvin get started?

Posted: 3 Feb 2002 9:03PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Harris, Coffee
Well I am not sure if this well help but my mother's family is from Smithridge/Chauvin. Most still live there. I will have to contact my mom about specific names and relations. My family names are of course Smith and also Coffee, Harris.
My Ggrandfather is Cleveland G. Harris Sr. 1902-1981
Ggrandmother is Mamie Coffee unsure about the spelling
If you are able to use this info please reply. And when I get more info I will let you know.

Lene (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2002 4:20PM GMT
Oh My God! Someone really replied! I am told that my GGGgrandfather and his brother purchased land from their father's widow and founded the town/City. They got into trouble and lost or was losing the land and was helped to get it back by someone by the Harris and others.Is this your GGGgrandfather?

My family names are Smith,Stewart and Harris to name a few.
I hope to hear from you soon,sorry it took so long for me to reply. I will be checking often : )

Veronica (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2002 6:27AM GMT
Edited: 22 Jul 2012 2:40PM GMT
I had seen your query some time ago, and knew I had read the history in a book called "Slaves by Choice" by Sims. I had given the book to my daughter and did not have access to it, but guess what? I ran into Mr. Sims in the grocery store, and asked him about the history and he said that Ben Smith had a plantation and had two sons Ed and Robert. As soon as I get the book back, I will read the history and get back in touch with you. Mr. Sims (I cannot remember his first name at the moment) lives at Smithridge and is a retired teacher. He asked me where were you living. I hope I can help.

Posted: 15 Oct 2002 7:21AM GMT
Oh my God! you are kidding he is my Cousin or I should say my GrandMothers' Cousin her name is Muriel Smith Stewart Theriot. She lives in Bourg now. Or she did she passed away on Friday. If you can give him my email address I would greatly appreciate it.Are you a family member also. I live in Los Angeles,Ca. Would you happen to know of some way for me to contact him? If so could you please let me know thank you so much!

Posted: 23 Nov 2002 5:16PM GMT
Edited: 4 Aug 2003 3:13AM GMT
Surnames: Chauvin
Hello Lene,
I was wondering if you had ever got in touch with Mr. Sims of Chauvin?
Veronica

Posted: 15 Nov 2004 5:24AM GMT
No I didn't but I'm still interested in doing so . I have so many questions! If you have a number for him please let me know. or give him my e-mail address PLEASE! Thanks.

Posted: 20 Jul 2006 3:28PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jul 2006 11:33PM GMT
I am almost sure that you would be of some relation. I also have a list of Harris's in my tree just not sure where they all fit. Sorry it has taken so long to answer this post and i hope you're still around to answer. I would love to hear from you.

Posted: 14 Nov 2006 10:00PM GMT
Sorry, I have no information about Smithridge/Chauvin settlements except that it is in Terrebonne Parish; however, I do know that Edith Smith, age 56 in 1920 and Arthur Taplett, age 62 in 1920 were married and to that union there were twelve (12) children. Even though, all twelve are deceased, some of their children still live in Houma, LA.

Hope to hear form you soon.

Posted: 15 Jan 2007 2:58PM GMT
Yes!!!! I am sure that I am able to use this information. I am told that the surnames that you have mentioned belong somewhere in my puzzle. Now I would like to get with you concerning any other information that you may have. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply but I am back and with a "COUSIN" that Replied to a message here on the boards!!!

You may be the next in the family line : ) I hope so!!
Hope to hear from you soon!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic