Search for content in message boards

Wright and Griffin families from Mecklenburg to Granville Co. NC

Wright and Griffin families from Mecklenburg to Granville Co. NC

Posted: 21 Jun 2012 1:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wright, Griffin, Stovall
Looking for information the the Wright families and the Griffin families that were living in Mecklenburg County VA in the 1770'2. William Wright married Drucilla Griffin. They moved to Granville County North Carolina in 1777. Drucilla's brother was Owen Griffin who was also living there. They are connected to the Stovall family who had also moved to Granville Co., NC. Owen Griffin married Ann Stovall.

Re: Wright and Griffin families from Mecklenburg to Granville Co. NC

Posted: 26 Jul 2012 11:55PM GMT
Calvin,
Is there a documented year of birth for William Wright, and what is it based on? Also what document proves that William and Drucilla were in Granville County by 1777?

Bill

Posted: 27 Jul 2012 12:23AM GMT
I have that William Wright was born ca. 1748 in VA. How accurate that is I do not know. Based on the age of his eldest daughter Sarah who was born in 1774. In Dec. 1777 William Wright of Mecklenburg County Virginia purchases 50 acres on Jonathan’s Creek from John Chandler of Granville County North Carolina. Witnesses to this deed were Matthew Brown, Ransom Boswell and Owen Griffin.

In 1778 William took oath of allegiance along with most of the Stovall's and Owen Griffin.

Aug 5, 1779 William received a land grant from the state of North Carolina for 150 acres also in Granville Co., NC.

about a week later William and Drucilla (both are mentioned) sell 50 acres land they purchased in 1777 to William Stovall. Josah Stovall and Owen Griffin witness.

In 1783 William purchased 39 acres. He sold this 39 acres to William Stovall in 1787. They had moved to Wilkes Co., GA in 1786 where purchased 200 acres from John and Mary Troy on Soaps Creek.

Owen Griffin moved with them and he purchased 50 acres there William Wright was witness.

Posted: 21 Sep 2012 2:45PM GMT
Surnames: Wright, Griffin
Calvin,
Thank you for your reply. I have several questions.

Does the December 1777 deed state that William Wright was a resident of Mecklenberg County, VA when he purcahsed the 50 acres in Granville County, NC?

Is there any evidence that William Wright lived anywhere else other than Mecklenburg County, VA and Granville County, NC during and after the Revolutionary war.

I have seen one account that has him in Mecklenberg County, NC instead of VA.This is after he had moved to Wilkes County, GA in 1786. I have reasons to doubt the connection with Mecklenburg County, NC and believe it is a different William Wright.

Where can I find a copy of this oath of allegiance that William Wright took in 1778, and was this oath to the newly formed United States govt.? I am trying to prove William's service during the Revolutionary War, and so far have no concrete evidence other than the oral history from Otis Ashmore in 1921.

Is there a marriage record for William Wright and Drucilla, and what is the evidence that her surname was Griffin.

Regards,
Bill

Posted: 21 Sep 2012 11:41PM GMT
Surnames: Wright, Griffin, Stovall
Lots of good questions. I think I can answer most of them to the best of my knowledge.

First question is yes, the deed actually says William Wright of Mecklenburg Co., VA.

Second question is no. I have found nothing that shows that they lived anywhere else other than Mecklenburg Co., VA to Granvile Co., NC to Wilkes Co., GA in the part that later became Lincoln Co., GA.

A transcribed copy of the oath is at this site
http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/granville/court/allegian966...

The oath is at the top of the page William is listed in the area listed as county line district along with the Stovall's and Owen Griffin.

If William ever served in the RW I have found nothing on it. I found a notation on-line somewhere that states "William Wright was in the Revolution under Captain Elijah Graves from Mecklenburg County. His certificate of service is dated October 11, 1782 and signed by J. Randolph and I. Bourke."

I don't know what certificate they are talking about. I know that Captain Elijah Graves was commissioned as Captain in the Mecklenburg Militia on February 12, 1781. He was murdered in Mecklenburg Co. VA in 1799.

The Otis Ashmore papers have been brought to my attention many times, but I have never actually seen them. I believe that there may be some inaccuaracies though. I know one major one that is going around the net is that William and Drucilla's daughter Mary is said to have married David Stovall. This can not be factual. William's will proves that his daughter Mary had died before he wrote his will. So the Mary who married David Stovall was not William's daughter.

There is no marriage record for William and Drucilla. There is no proof of her name being Griffin.

Posted: 27 Sep 2012 11:05PM GMT
Calvin,
Thank you for the good info. I have a copy of Otis Ashmore's tree which I will be glad to e-mail to you. Regarding William's daughter Mary, the will of William Wright in 1827 in Lincoln County, GA referred to her as "Mary Barnett, formerly Mary Stovall". She was deceased at the time the will was written. It does not mention which Stovall to whom she had been married. There is another reference in the will to William's daughter "Lucy Stovall, wife of Drury Stovall". I have not been able to find the certificate of service from 1782 that Otis Ashmore referred to. I have read that some of the Mecklenberg County, VA militia records from the Revolutionary War have been destroyed, so any complete record of Capt. Elijah Grave's regiment may not be available. Otis Ashmore seemed to indicate that William had a brother Nathan Wright who also moved to Wilkes County, GA. There is good documention on Nathan via his Revolutionary War pension application. Thanks again for your help.

Bill

Posted: 27 Sep 2012 11:32PM GMT
Yes I do agree. Mary who married David Stovall was not the daughter of William and Drucilla. If you ever do find proof that William did serve in the Revolutionary War please let me know. I look forward to seeing the Otis Ashmore tree. My e-mail address is calvin_dorris@yahoo.com

I have seen that Nathaniel Wright was the brother of William but have not seen any actual proof of it. I also haven't seen them living in the same area until William moved to Wilkes Co., GA. I don't know if they arrived together or not.

If you happen to find anything about Lewis Wright of Lincoln Co., GA please let me know as I descend from him. Lewis married Sarah "Sallie" Wright, eldest daughter of William and Drucilla.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions