Search for content in message boards

Killed For Five Cents

Killed For Five Cents

Janice Pate (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 2004 11:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jul 2004 4:38PM GMT
Surnames: Butner, Boone
I came across this at the library and the mention of Yancey County peaked my interest. I am not researching Butners or Boones and cannot provide any additional information. This is posted for the benefit of other researchers.

Janice Pate
Grand_ma@Hotmail.com
E-mail must contain the word genealogy in the subject line

New York Times - Jun 15, 1878 – page 2
KILLED FOR FIVE CENTS
The Charlotte (N. C.) Observer says “A gentleman from the western part of the State brings information of the killing, near Young’s mill, in Yancey County, on Saturday night last, of Samuel Butner by Thomas Boone. Boone is the Constable of the township in which he resides, and went to Butner to collect a debt of 5 cents. Butner denied owing the money, and in the course of a heated colloquy which followed Boone produced a knife, with which he fell upon Butner, cutting and slashing him in such a manner as to produce death. The slayer fled, and has not been arrested. The county authorities have offered a reward of $125 for his apprehension.

Re: Killed For Five Cents -- BUTNER / BOONE

Posted: 13 Aug 2004 8:24PM GMT
Surnames: Butner, Boone, Hauser
THis is some information That I have in my database: The Samuel you speak of is son of Samuel Herman Butner and Martha Hauser He was born abt 1851, and died JUNE 08, 1878. Samuel was stabbed to death in a drunken arguement by THOMAS BOONE. Boone was tried and convicted and sentenced to death, but then escaped, eventually moved to Oregon, and lived there under the alias of George Brown.
Would be interested if any one has information on this Thomas Boone
Fairlane@trccomputing.com

Re: Killed For Five Cents

Posted: 31 Mar 2008 1:25PM GMT
Tom Rusher mentions this case in his book ¨Until He Is Dead¨, pub. 2003. There were two Thomas Boones in jail for murder at the same time in Yancey county. Both escaped and were never recaptured.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic