Search for content in message boards

Jesse Coleman m Susannah Peter 11/4/1789 Amherst VA

Jesse Coleman m Susannah Peter 11/4/1789 Amherst VA

Kathleen (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2005 12:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Peter Peters
Any other information on Jesse Coleman or their children? I have Susannah's family info. I believe Jesse was the son of William Coleman.

Re: Jesse Coleman

Dorla Evans (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2005 12:55AM GMT
Surnames: Coleman
I also have a Jesse Coleman born around 1783/84, perhaps in Virginia. He moved to Edgefield, SC and to Elbert County GA. Ultimately, he and his wife, Faithy Jordan? Coleman died before 1870 in Lamar County AL. Buried at Mt. Carmel Primitive Baptist Church in Millsport, AL.

There seems to be another Jesse Coleman who came from Amelia, VA who is a little bit older. He died in Marengo County, AL. I believe his name was originally Jesse Gwin (or Gwen) but changed his name after he was left an inheritance through his mother, Amelia Gwin, from Francis Coleman (an illegitimate son?) This is from pp. 79-80 in J.P. Coleman's book, The Robert Coleman Family from Virginia to Texas, 1652-1965.

J.P. says there was another Jesse Coleman who married a Jordan (I think that is my Jesse) who comes from the Robert Coleman of Nansemond County, VA. I'm going to search this direction. If you have any suggestions on how to separate them, I'd love to hear it.

Dorla

Posted: 13 Sep 2005 12:16AM GMT
Jesse Coleman, married to Elizabeth Fathy Coleman, is my 3grandfather. I have some printed material that my mother left when she died that she had copied I think from J.P. Coleman's book, but I have been unable to spot Jesse in that material. If you have found anything further that you could share on this family line, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks.

Nancy Hamilton

Dorla Evans (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 2005 1:38PM GMT
My Jesse Coleman and yours are the same. Which child of Jesse's are you descendent from? We are from Hardy.

I looked through the J.P. Coleman book at the DAR Library in Washington. On the web you can find a subset of it. There are a couple of pages related to Jesse Coleman. It makes it clear there are 2 Jesse Colemans. J.P. Coleman's Jesse is the one who appears to be an illegitimate child who took the name Coleman only after his "father" died. He died in Marengo County, AL.

Our Jesse Coleman is much harder to pinpoint. He married Fathy (Faithy?) Jordan and traveled west with her family. There is a book "The Colemans of West Alabama and Allied Families" which is about our Jesse Coleman. It is by Jean Coleman McBride and Bobbye Ann Coleman. They are descendents of Jesse's son, Andrew Jackson (A.J.) Coleman.

Jesse and Faithy had the following children: Hardy A., Andrew Jackson, Burrell Jordan, Sarah Marlizia, Mary Eveline, Delilah Elvira, and Melvina.

Do any of these names ring a bell?

Dorla

Kathleenb (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 2005 8:48PM GMT
Dorla,

I'm not a descendant of any Jesse Coleman. "My" Jesse Coleman, son of William Coleman, married Susannah Peter in Amherst, VA, in 1789; I don't even have the names of their children. I descend from Susannah's Uncle Richard Peter(s), and in trying to straighten out the family lines, I've collected a lot of info on branches other than my own.

Doesn't look like ours are connected.

Nancy Hamilton (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 2005 10:16PM GMT
Yes, they ring a lot of bells!

Burrell Jordan is my great, great grandfather. B. J. had a son that he named Andrew Jackson who was born on June 23, 1850. His youngest son was named Linnie Andrew Franklin Coleman. Linnie was my grandfather. He died in 1939 from tuberculosis which he contracted after his lungs were weakened by mustard gas poisoning in Germany during World War I.

My mother had started this research before she died and had been in touch with Gov. J. P. Coleman and had some copies of the pages you describe in her research papers. And I agree that is not our ancestor.

I believe that "our" Jesse Coleman migrated from the Fairfield SC area in the early 1800's, as your ancestor, Hardy, appears to have been born in South Carolina. However, Hardy's brother, Francis, was born in Tennessee, 3 years later, then 3 years later Andrew J. was born in South Carolina, there is a daughter, Sara, between Andrew J. and Burrell that I've not been able to find where she was born, and then by 1825 Burrell was born in Georgia. They may have been in Green County, Georgia at that time (see U.S. Census 1820), but I don't have that proved yet. And by 1840, Andrew J. and Jesse were in Coosa County, Alabama and from there to Pickens County, Alabama.

Do you know where I can get a copy of the book you describe--"The Colemans of West Alabama and Allied Families" which is about our Jesse Coleman. It is by Jean Coleman McBride and Bobbye Ann Coleman.

I would love to have a copy. And I love to hear from you. Nancy

Posted: 14 Aug 2006 7:38PM GMT
Surnames: Coleman
The Jesse Coleman that I have information on was the son of Daniel Coleman and Million Coleman. He married Susannah Peter in Amherst County, VA on October 20, 1789. His brother William is the one I'm researching and info and very scarce.

Here is a website with more information.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~mobjackbaycolemans/...

Re: Jesse Coleman/ Samuel Coleman, Robert Coleman et al

Posted: 7 Nov 2006 8:51PM GMT
Surnames: Coleman, Clayton, Spilsby, Morris, Wyatt, White, Vinson
I am trying to get the Colemans straightened out for my family tree. I have Robert E. married to Eizabeth Mott, then Robert E. married to Ann Spilsby, then Robert E. Coleman and Mary Clayton as parents of Samuel Coleman b 1704, d 1748. The problem is that Samuel and Elizabeth Wyatt were the parents of Spencer M Coleman, BUT this cannot be right as Spencer was born in 1752. Anyone who has any info would be helpful - thanks

Posted: 17 Sep 2007 11:42PM GMT
LOOKING FOR INF ON LILLIE BELL DUNCAN,

Posted: 7 Mar 2011 6:02AM GMT
Surnames: Jesse Coleman
I think we may be kin. Did your Andrew Jackson Coleman marry Mary Ann Smith? And did they have a son named Augustus Burrell Coleman that married Annie Elizabeth Nash?
And did A.B. have son named Elber Willett Coleman?
You can email me at ColeenCole@aol.com.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions