Search for content in message boards

UPTHEGROVE surname in Niagara in late 1700s

UPTHEGROVE surname in Niagara in late 1700s

Posted: 9 Jul 2008 4:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Upthegrove, Obram, Kelley
Nancy Ann UPTHEGROVE born in Ontario circa 1805 married (1837) Dennis KELLEY (or O'Kelley) also born in Ontario circa 1805. According to RootsWeb's WorldConnect the couple had five children, at least one of whom, their daughter Amanda, is known to have been born in Ontario (in Wainfleet Township in 1845). Nancy and Dennis at some point moved their family to Wisconsin where Dennis died in 1850 and Nancy remarried.

Looking especially for information on the parents of Nancy and Dennis. I have found a John UPTHEGROVE and Ann OBRAM UPTHEGROVE living in the Niagara area in the late 1700s. They are said to have come over the border from the USA during or immediately after the Revolution. Ann is thought to have some blood relationship to Seneca Chief Cornplanter. From various online sources I found the names of three sons born in Niagara: Abram (born 1776) Peter (born 1779), and Benjamin (born 1785).

Trying to see if there is any tie-in for Nancy to this family...a daughter???

Any information would be most appreciated.

Re: UPTHEGROVE surname in Niagara in late 1700s

Posted: 21 Jul 2008 10:07PM GMT
Surnames: UPTHEGROVE
This is the only record on line from the St.Catharines Library
Record Number:4423
Record Type:Marriage Notice
Source Type:Newspaper
Source Name:St. Catharines Standard

Publication Date:April 27, 1908
Page Number:5
Event Date:April 23, 1908

Husband's Name:Upthegrove, Charles Sylvester Mr.
Wife's Name:Bagley, Mabel Miss
Place of Marriage:
Residence of A. P. Kennedy, pastor of Morrison St. Baptist Church
City/Town of Marriage:Niagara Falls, Ontario
Notes:
Both parties from Hume, New York, USA

Posted: 26 Jul 2008 8:14PM GMT
Thanks, 9 generationsmanynames. I was asked for help off the message board by someone. Don't usually accept searches going back so far due to my limited resources and lack of time but thought I could at least help by putting a query on a few of the surrounding boards. Still think that Nancy Upthegrove Kelley could be a daughter or granddaughter of John and Ann Upthegrove of Niagara but have yet been able to prove it.

Thanks again.
Sharon

Posted: 24 Sep 2008 4:23AM GMT
There were Uptigrove families living in Delaware Twp.,Middlesex Cty.,Ontario from about 1800 onwards,maybe part of yours,the spelling is different but "???
per page

Find a board about a specific topic