Search for content in message boards

McKnight

McKnight

Kay Comer (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2000 11:12PM GMT
Ihave been looking for the McKnight family Idont know where they came from.But they were from Oak Hill WVA I know I am related to them. My Great Grandmother was aKcKnight before she married a Gilbert.She had a brother I belive his name was Tilden.Any help appericated?

Robert McKnight

Posted: 22 Oct 2000 5:33PM GMT
Edited: 7 Sep 2003 9:21PM GMT
I am looking for the ancestry of Robert McKnight. He was born in Agusta Co. Virginia. He had a brother John. He lived in St. Louis in the early 1800's. Emigrated to Mexico. Any information would be appreciated.
Please reply via e-mail.
Posted: 3 Jun 2007 3:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
tilda mcknight was actually samuel tilden mcknight and i can help you quite alot with this side of my family. the mcknight your talking about is probably louisa or margaret. they both married gilberts and are both sisters of samuel tilden mcknight. my email address is msmibew683@aol.com

Re: Robert McKnight

Posted: 8 Jul 2009 9:22PM GMT
I don't have any specific information on Robert - two of his sisters married into branches of my family and I came across this information as part of my research on the sisters.

“Timothy McKnight came from Ulster. His son John, merchant of St. Louis and trader to Santa Fe, was a heavy owner of realty in and near the Missouri metropolis. Robert, another son settled in Chihuahua, Mexico, as a merchant and mine owner, and married a Spanish lady. Thomas settled in Iowa and was the first candidate for governor of that state on the Whig ticket. James remained on the Calfpasture, but his son John joined his uncle at Chihuahua and became a wealthy merchant. Rebecca, a daughter married William McCutchen, and the wife of William W. Rucker, Congressman from Missouri is a great granddaughter.” P 90 Morten's history of rockbridge county, virginia

Posted: 15 Feb 2010 10:18PM GMT
Surnames: McKnight, Griffin
Have been researching the lineage of Robert McKnight. I have found the Virginia resources showing Timothy McKnight and Eleanor [Ellen] Griffin residing in Augusta County until they left for Missouri, but nothing that traces their origins or their demise, in Missouri it would seem. I have access to the well-documented Robert McKnight story, but nothing on his parents.

Does anyone have any clues as to the McKnight-Griffin roots?
Any suggestions are welcome--

Posted: 17 Aug 2010 4:45AM GMT
I am researching McKnight too and not sure if this is anything but posted it to another McKnight person looking for an ancestor. A Robert McKnight is listed as an uncovered gravesite to a commercial building dig. Read Here:
Posted on Tue, Apr. 03, 2007reprint or license print email CMC-MERCY
Construction uncovers old cemetery
Graves and remains dating back to the 1770s found on expansion site
LINDSAY POLLARD
lpollard@charlotteobserver.com
Construction crews working on an expansion of Carolinas Medical Center-Mercy have unearthed grave markers and remains dating back to the 1770s.

"Here lies the body of Thomas Barnet," one of the markers reads. "Deceasd May The 3rd, 1776. Aged 22 years."

The markers and remains were found late last month where the hospital is building a new medical office building and parking deck at Vail Avenue and Caswell Road.

After four gravestones were found March 22, hospital officials contacted the N.C. Office of State Archeology. Work was halted while archeologists scoured the site. Nothing was found, and construction crews were cleared to continue working, said archeologist Chris Espenshade.

But, on March 27, a bulldozer turned up bones and work was stopped again.

Espenshade and colleagues from New South Associates then found skeletal remains and 13 graves. New South Associates is a Greensboro firm that specializes in archaeology, history and preservation.

Espenshade did more research and found that hospital land on Vail Avenue had once been home to Spratt Cemetery, a family burial ground that had been scattered over the years. Records on the Charlotte-Mecklenburg History Web site (www.cmstory.org) indicate that 13 people were buried there.

The state requires that the hospital advertise the discovery in hopes of reaching descendents. It cannot move the bones or test them until 60 days after a formal announcement is made. That is expected soon.

Working around the site will be challenging and pricey, said Scott White, media relations director for Carolinas HealthCare System. It will cost $100,000 to $150,000, he said.

Said White: "It's the right thing to do."

Seeking Relatives

Graves found at the construction site could belong to people who are recorded as being buried at Spratt Cemetery.

• Thomas Barnet

• William Barnet

• Mary Sprot

• Andrew Sprot

• Jean Barnet

• Mary Barnet

• Hugh Bingham

• Joseph Bingham

• Mary Bingham

• Samuel Bingham Jr.

• Esther Johnson

• James McKnight

• Robert McKnight

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you might be a descendent, call 336-379-0433 336-379-0433 or e-mail cespenshade@newsouthassoc.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: McKnight

Posted: 28 Sep 2010 3:26AM GMT
what is ur full name
Posted: 30 Sep 2010 3:12AM GMT
Keisha are you directing that question toward me.
Posted: 30 Sep 2010 3:13AM GMT
Keisha are you directing that question toward me.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic