Search for content in message boards

John Sutton and Temperance Lane

John Sutton and Temperance Lane

Carolyn Sutton (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2005 5:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Jun 2005 9:49AM GMT
Surnames: SUTTON, LANE
Has anyone written a book on John and Temperance Lane?
I would love to have a copy.

Carolyn Sutton

Re: John Sutton and Temperance Lane

Bette Rodey (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2005 4:00AM GMT
Surnames: Sutton
Hi,
Are we talking about John Sutton from Caswell North Carolina?? Father of Bailey? If so, he is not the husband of Temperance Lane. John's wife's name was Hailey.
I know that somehow someone posted Temperance Lane and it took on a life of it's own. However there has never been documentation. One of those internet things that refuses to die.
Bette Sutton Rodey

Posted: 15 Dec 2009 6:45AM GMT
Yes, there is a book, published in 1941, titled Descendants of John Sutton and Temperance Lane. My family has copies of it,and you can occasionally find it available on Amazon.com.

The John Sutton referenced in the reply does not appear to be the same as the Sutton who married Temperance Lane.

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 8:20PM GMT
Surnames: Sutton Heritage
Greetings:
My name is Travis Sutton. I live in Claiborne County Tennessee. Harrison and Melvina Sutton were my Great Great Grandparents. My Great Grandfather was Robert "Bob" Sutton who was married to Lillie Daniels as they gave birth to John Sutton, my grandfather. Both Bob and brother Zaney were killed by the time they were 30 years old, here in Claiborne Tennessee. My grandfather John died in 1947 of TB. My Dad's name is Ronda. I would love to share information and pictures. I have pictures of Robert "Bob" Sutton and John Sutton dating as far back as the early 1920's. Here is relationship to Bailey Sutton of Virginia:

Bailey Sutton (1793 - 1887) is my 4th great grandfather --->John M. Sutton (1821 - 1888) Son of Bailey and is my 3rd great grandfather ---> Harrison S Sutton (1857 - 1926) Son of John M. and is my 2nd great grandfather --->Robert "Bob" Sutton (1889 - 1916) Son of Harrison S is my great grandfather --->Robert John Sutton (1916 - 1947) Son of Robert "Bob" is my grandfather --->Ronda Sutton (1946 - ) Son of Robert John is my father....... I am Charles Travis Sutton, the son of Ronda.

I have searched many places for any information about my grandfather's service in the Army during World War II. I would pay someone for research if I seemed assured that they could confirm or add more to what I already know. The things I know is basically what others have told me and what reads on his tombstone, in which I have discovered that his birthday is incorrect. I have his birth and death certificate as well as his obituary along with a few family pictures.

Descendents of Bailey Sutton of Lee County Virginia - John M. Sutton and Sarah Pridemore

Tennessee-Claiborne County/5th District: Harrogate, Poplar Grove, Oak Grove, Riverside, Tazewell, Little Creek, and Middlesboro (KY)

Robert John Sutton's father Robert Bob Sutton was killed by Vince Cosby on 14 May 1916, 3 months before John was born. His mother Lillie Mae Daniels Sutton remarried Clarance Bussell in December of that same year. Almost immediately, Lillie gave John to her Aunt Caroline Cosby. Sadly, Lillie died of flu only 3 years laters (1919) after John was born. Caroline Cosby, Lillie's Aunt, continued to raise John. They lived with Lillie's grandfather/Caroline's father (Chadrack "Shade" Cosby), during most of his early years. Then later, Caroline and John moved in with Caroline's nephew, Robert Shade Daniels/Lillie's brother. Caroline was much older and losing her sight. Robert Shade Daniels continued to raise John at the death of Caroline. This was during John's teenage years.

John's grandparents were Harrison Sutton and Melvina Sutton; Duff Daniels and Elizabeth Louisa Cosby. (Just as Duff Daniels was married several times, Harrison Sutton and Elizabeth Brown (born 1855) applied for their marriage license in 1877 however, the marriage certificate was never apparently returned to state. So, I am not sure if they were ever legally married or had any children. I do know that Elizabeth Brown died of cancer (in 1919), buried in Martin Cemetery of Harrogate (along with her children and husband) and that this is NOT Melvina Sutton; and as far as I know, Melvina's middle name is NOT Elizabeth as well. They are entirely two different individuals. Harrison Sutton had a family/children with Melvina Sutton (a cousin), daughter of George W. Sutton. Elizabeth Brown Martin was married to Alexander E. Martin. Elizabeth's father and mother are William Brown and Nancy Wares. Elizabeth's children are Christopher C. Martin, Margeret "Maggie" Martin and Carlie Patton Martin.)

John's uncles and aunts were Minnie Daniels, Robert Shade Daniels, Johnny Sutton, Sephes Sutton, Zany Sutton, Hugh Sutton, Edward Sutton. He probably attended Riverside Elementary School.

John worked as most did on the farm. At age 25, he stayed with Paris and Esther M. Brooks located around the Forge Ridge area in 1940. Also, he may have briefly visited some place in Michigan just prior to joining the Army. He owned and drove a logging truck until he went into the army for 5 years serving 3 of them in the south pacific. He appeared to be approximately 6 feet and 4 inches and 190 pounds. He was a Private First Class and part of the 192nd field Artillery Battalion.

The 192nd FA BN was equipped with tractor drawn 155mm howitzers and departed from the San Francisco Port of Embarkation on 1, October 1942 and arrived in New Zealand on 22, October 1942. The battalion entered the Pacific Theater of Operations on 21, February 1943. The 192nd FA BN is credited with campaigns in Guadalcanal; New Solomon Islands; New Guinea; and Luzon, Philippines. The battalion returned to the San Francisco Port of Embarkation on 19, October 1945.

It was during this time he with Alberta Mustard gave birth to two children: daughter Joyce and then son Ronda Sutton, named after a place in the Philippine Islands near Cebu City. Ronda is a Philippine municipality. It is located in the province Cebu in Region VII Central Visayas which is a part of the Visayas group of islands. The municipality Ronda is seated about 64 km south-west of province capital Cebu City and about 573 km south-south-east of Philippine main capital Manila. The geographic coordinates of Ronda are 10° 0' 3'' N, 123° 24' 28'' E. and today consists of 14 barangays/villages.

John died in Christian County; Outwood, Kentucky at Veterans Administration Hospital stayed for 25 days. He died at age 30 years, 7 months and 9 days.

He was sent to Cawood Funeral Home; Clark Beshear/Dawson Springs, Kentucky 3/13/1947

Cause of Death: TB.pul.chr.far adv.act. severe for duration unknown

March 15, 1947 2p.m Saturday Little Creek Baptist Church with Rev. Charley Hatfield and Rev. John Dixon in charge. He was buried in Crane Cemetery in Harrogate, Tennessee located in Claiborne County.His tombstone has him being born in the year1919, to the contrary, he was born in 1916.

Please respond if you could help with any of my genealogy, thanks!

Travis Sutton
Phone: (865)585-0653

Posted: 18 Jul 2012 2:27PM GMT
John M. Sutton (married Sarah Pridmore) was my 2nd great grandfather,
But I have his dates as, born 3/3/1821, DIED 5/6/1918
However, on his tombstone the date of death is May but you can't really make out the year. I have a picture of the stone. I also have many Sutton photos. John's son James was brother to your Harrison Sutton.
A lot of the sir names you mention here are in my family. My mom is a Hatfield & her mom was a Sutton. She is from Claiborne Co, TN
Will share more later,
Jeanie

Posted: 24 Jul 2012 10:53PM GMT
Thanks for the reply. It was good to hear from you. I would love to share some pictures with you. I would love to see some pictures of John M. Sutton and Sarah Pridemore and/or any of their children especially Harrison.

Thanks,
Travis
suttont1@k12tn.net

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 3:59PM GMT
I have a copy of 'The Descendants of John Sutton and his wife Temperance Lane' published 1941. If you have an active interest in their line, I'd like to donate it. Please reply here.

Ron Swetnam

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 3:41AM GMT
Do you still have the book? i would be interested. They are my Sutton line.

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 1:49PM GMT
Ms. Vaughn,
I'd be glad for you to have the book, just on the condition that it not be sold for profit. If that's agreeable, all I need is a physical address.

Best,
Ron Swetnam
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions