Search for content in message boards

HMS Ganges

HMS Ganges

Posted: 6 Feb 2010 9:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Charlton
On my Great aunts birth certificate (1917) it states my g-g grandfathers (aged 50yrs at time) occupation as 'Stoker RN HMS Ganges' (Stoneman in Coalmine). I gather the Ganges was a training establishment so I am trying to find out why he was there.
Does anyone know where I can find records for HMS Ganges?

Thanks

Clare

Re: HMS Ganges

Posted: 7 Feb 2010 2:12AM GMT
Even “Stone Frigates” needed a crew to run them [in this case at least boilers for heating together with filtration equipment for the swimming pool] and to assist the Training Teams with evolutions [practice operations] associated with machinery [e.g. pumps for the damage control school] or boilers, so he was probably part of the “permanent staff”. Being 50 years old at the time, his presence would have released a younger man for service at sea or ashore in France with Naval Brigade.

The notation 'Stoker RN HMS Ganges' (Stoneman in Coalmine), suggests he was either a former Royal Navy seaman who had left the RN once, taken up civilian employment and been recalled from the Fleet Reserve, or volunteered for war service and that would indicate he was actually a member of the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve [RNVR] rather than the RN. As his occupation was not connected with shipping or fishing it’s unlikely he was member of the Royal Naval Reserve [RNR].

Records for Royal Naval Ratings from 1853 to 1923 and Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve [WWI] are available online from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/navy.asp .

The only records held for HMS Ganges at the National Archives, Kew covering the WWI years are in ADM 338 Admiralty and Ministry of Defence: Chaplain of the Fleet and successors: Registers of Baptisms, Confirmations, Marriages and Burials.

The Royal Navy’s Historical Branch may have some operational information but they will not have any records for personnel.

There’s plenty of information about HMS Ganges on the web as well as forums etc.

Posted: 8 Feb 2010 4:51PM GMT
Identified since my last.

In addition to being a Royal Navy shore based Training Establishment, H.M.S. Ganges of 1917 was also the name of the nearby WWI Auxiliary Patrol Base. There were quite a number of vessels of various types and sizes associated with both facilities, including a Depot Ship used for accommodation [source Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy, B.Warlow]. A man’s service record could show “Ganges” or “Ganges II” and may sometimes give another vessel’s name in brackets with either.

So he may have been stationed at the “Stone Frigate”, or he may have been part of the crew of one the Establishment’s associated vessels. Alternatively he may have been drafted to one of the Auxiliary Patrol Service vessels that were based nearby.

There’s plenty of information about HMS Ganges and the Auxiliary Patrol Service on the web as well as dedicated forums etc.

Posted: 12 Feb 2010 8:38PM GMT
Thanks for the reply. Will have to look further into the possible navy link, as far as I know my ggrandfather was a miner all his life in North East England.
Family history - always poses more questions than answers!!

Clare
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions