Search for content in message boards

Looking for Sweet in Co. Monaghan

Looking for Sweet in Co. Monaghan

Posted: 31 Aug 2008 6:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Duffy
Please Help! The spelling may be actual or phonetic; it may be (or have been back in the early to mid 1850's) a 'pet' name or 'nickname'. Numerous newspaper clippings in America and some official documents (i.e. a birth certificate showing the mother's birthplace) show my Duffy ancestors saying they came from Sweet in Co. Monaghan. I've found no such place today or in the timeframe I'm seeking.

Patrick Duffy left for The States in 1850-51; is wife, Bridget, and five kids (Catherine, Rose, Mary, Felix & Patrick) arrived in New Orleans via Liverpool in March 1853. The family settled in Crittenden Co., Kentucky.

Patrick had a married sister (married a Molloy, choose your spelling i.e. Malloy, Moloy, etc.) who left in 1849 and settled in Crittenden Co.; suppose that is why he settled there also.

Any help, advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Lynette

Re: Looking for Sweet in Co. Monaghan

Posted: 2 Sep 2008 7:08PM GMT
There is no such place listed as a Townland or Parish in County Monaghan - the nearest I can suggest is "Sheetrim" & there are three or four places using this name, in & around the Town of Monaghan. Duffy is, of course, quite common in Monaghan so it is possible that they originated there.

Posted: 3 Sep 2008 4:24AM GMT
Hi, jackstory1!

I've checked every placename that was listed in Co. Monaghan between 1848 and 1862; none of them were even close to Sweet. Sheetrim isn't in Co. Monaghan. Because my relatives were living there in the early to mid 1800's and it doesn't seem to be an actual placename, I can't help but think Sweet is a nickname or pet name -- that makes it much more difficult to find since such names can (and apparently has) disappear(ed). Thanks for checking and if any ideas pop up, please let me know as at this point I'll check out most anything!

Lynette

Posted: 3 Sep 2008 8:44AM GMT
OK Lynette, Sheetrim is in County Monaghan - I am a native of County Monaghan & I know where Sheetrim is - there are four Townlands called Sheetrim. I have also a list of alternative Townland names which could be described as possibly an alernative to the Irish name, maybe in English. Much data which appears like your "Sweet" is because people memorised it, passed it on to children etc & in the process it became corrupted. I recently assisted an American lady who was absolutely sure that here Ancestors came from County Cork - in fact, they came from County Antrim but had saild from County Cork (Queesnstown or Cobh)

Posted: 3 Sep 2008 1:38PM GMT
Thanks for the input.

The Griffiths Valuation records I checked for Monaghan had 739 Duffys but none of the locations were anything like Sweet. I forget now what online source I used, but it supposedly listed all placenames alphabetically (and there were A LOT of them!) -- Sheetrim was only listed once and not noted as there being more than one so I don't know what might have been going on there. That same listing had some names including Sweet as part of it but they were not in Co. Monaghan.

Sweet is not a name that has been garbled through the years -- it is the name they used when they came to America. It is listed in several newspaper articles of the time and as the mother's birthplace on a birth certificate for a child born here.

We have been unable to find exactly when and where Patrick came over; naturalization papers show 1851. Bridget and the kids arrived in New Orleans in March 1853. Unfortunately they came via Liverpool and we have been unable to trace them from Ireland to Liverpool. Anyone have tips on such searching?

Posted: 3 Sep 2008 4:19PM GMT
It's strange how so many things at your end are just WRONG - I know Monaghan, you don't, the Griffits Valuation that I have here clearly shows FOUR Sheetrims but you can only find one. I know of the Family name "Sweeten" & there are a number of families of that name here. Online research is a shambles & you won't find anything of use - LDS is only a very partial list of names in the mid 1800s - any other listings are submitted by Researchers who may have conducted their Research online too - I tried to help. There are Duffys & Sweetens living side by side as neigbours in Clontibret Parish.

Posted: 3 Sep 2008 4:49PM GMT
My, My, jackstorey1 . . . having personal problems and taking your frustration out here? Calm down. Everyone else is wrong but you have all the answers? Most genealogy is a trial and error search so reaching dead ends is expected, along with getting/giving misinformation. And where did a family name of Sweeten come into play when I'm looking for a location, not a family name? Unless they had an area named for them, Sweetens living next to Duffys has no relevance.

I DO appreciate your attempts to help, but I don't think a working relationship with you is possible given your current 'tone'. Perhaps you will be able to help someone else in the future. Thanks for trying.

Posted: 4 Sep 2008 9:34AM GMT
It's amazing that when you try to assist & it contradicts (quite rightly) the data (which is inaccurate) of the submitter - the submitter (not a resident of the area) flies through the sound barrier in a rage & adopts a position where she will never ever find the data she seeks.
The facts are that there are FOUR Sheetrims in County Monaghan - not accepted by the submitter, there is no place called SWEET & that she's completely off the wall in her huge Ego-Trip

Posted: 4 Sep 2008 2:07PM GMT
I did not fly into a rage (YOU DID) and I am not on an ego trip (YOU ARE). Did I call you a liar? No. Did I say you were wrong? No. I merely stated information I had run across todate; in your mind you turned it into something negative.
Your attitude is the real problem here and you just confirmed it with this post. Neither this board nor any board needs angry, venomous posts like yours. I pity you . . . if you are not currently getting help for your anger, you should.
The genealogy community is notoriously generous and friendly; you are the first exception to that description I have come across. Since you are either unwilling or (more likely) unable to offer assistance in a pleasant, positive manner without injecting your vitriol, please refrain from answering this or any future posts I may make. Thank you.

Posted: 11 Sep 2008 8:44PM GMT
Just to change the subject. Many Irish placenames are shortened by the locals and some omit the first one or two syllables such as in Lisdoonvarna which the locals simply call Varna. Perhaps Sweet is the end of a placename.

Good luck.
J.T.A.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic