Search for content in message boards

Richard Jefferson Family - from Delaware to Ohio

Richard Jefferson Family - from Delaware to Ohio

Posted: 1 Feb 2001 7:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Aug 2012 12:45PM GMT
I am tracing a line of Jeffersons I rarely see anyone else looking for. I am hoping someone will see this and tell me they are onto this same line and hopefully we can share information!

Richard Jefferson I, settled in Old Somerset between 1666 - 1682. He had two children, Mary and Richard II. Richard can be found in Upland Court Delware Census Index 1677 and is also in the Register of Maryland's Heraldic Families.

Richard II died abt 1742 and had two sons, John and Richard III.

Richard III married Mary Polly Warren, dau of Benjamin Warren and Elizabeth Hanson. His will was made 01/02/1780, with his heirs being his wife Mary, his sons: Elihu, John, Richard IV, Joshua, Job, and Warren; daughters: Elizabeth, Ede and Rhoda.

If anyone has any information on Richard's children or their descendants, please let me know. My GGGG Grandfather was Job Jefferson, born 1788 in Delaware, died 1884 in Prele County, Ohio. I have substantial information on this line once they reach Ohio. One of Richard III's sons is Job's father (and it isn't Richard's son Job - I've tried that angle). The likely father of my Job is either John, Elihu or Warren.

Help!

Walter Jefferson - Sussex Co., DE

Posted: 3 Sep 2002 12:43PM GMT
Edited: 26 Aug 2012 12:45PM GMT
Surnames: Jefferson, Carey
I ma looking for Walter Jefferson who witnessed the will of Peter Carey in 1854 in Sussex Co Delaware. I think he might have married one of the daughters of Peter Carey. Did you make any more progress in tracing the Jefferson family? There is a Jefferson file of information at the Nabb Center in Salisbury Maryland because the lower part of Delaware used to be part of Maryland and a lot of the records are Maryland records for the earlier generations of Sussex County families.
Anyway, have you ever seen the name of Walter in the Jefferson family of that area? Pamela

Re: Richard Jefferson - son Absalom ??

Posted: 3 Sep 2002 12:48PM GMT
Edited: 26 Aug 2012 12:48PM GMT
I forgot, sinece Absalom Jefferson patented land in 1743 in Worcester Co MD, do you think he might also be a son of Richard? Pamela

Re: Walter Jefferson

Stacey Jefferson (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2002 1:51PM GMT
Edited: 26 Aug 2012 12:46PM GMT
Pamela - The only Walter I have documented is my GGG Grandfather and he was just 14 years old in 1854, so he is unlikely to be the one you are in search of. I have a lot of information on the Jefferson branch that settled in Md and migrated to De, but haven't seen a 2nd Walter yet. I am interested in reviewing the source you mentioned about Md. If there's anything I can do to help you, let me know. I do have access to many of the Census records (details for 1850, 1880, 1900 and 1920 - just names for the others).

Stacey Jefferson
Austin, Texas

Re: Absalom Jefferson

Posted: 6 Sep 2002 1:55PM GMT
He could be a relative, but all of Richard's children are listed in his will and can be found in the "Register of Maryland's Heraldic Families" - I show the following: Richard Jefferson's will was made January 2, 1780. It mentions his wife, Polly (aka Mary), and children Warren, Job, Rhoda (m. Ennis), Elihu, John Richard, Elizabeth, Ede, and Joshua. Places mentioned include: Poplar Island, Poplar, Jefferson's Lot, Hog Quarter, Good Luck, Little Neck, Hutchson's Addition. In 1741 Richard Jefferson received a grant of 253 acres called Poplar Ridge, on Tuskey (probably Turkey) Branch. In 1888, it was the home of Miles Messick, called Pleasant Plain. (Source: De. Hist. Society Genealogy Surname List Card) He purchased 35 acres of land from Edward Wright on June 5, 1711 at Barren Quarter (Delaware) in Nanticoke along Barren Creek. Jefferson received land grants having served in the Colonial Wars, and would eventually accumulate over 1,100 acres of land."

I have no Absolom in my database, but there are many unnamed males for Richard's grandchildren.

Stacey Jefferson
Austin, Texas

Re: Absalom Jefferson

Posted: 6 Sep 2002 1:57PM GMT
Another lead might be for Absalom to be a nephew of Richard's. Richard III had 3 brothers: Henry, John and James. I have children listed for John and Henry (which may not be all of them) and none for James. Perhaps Absalom belongs to one of these men?

Stacey Jefferson
Austin, Texas

Pamela Zull (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2002 4:07PM GMT
Edited: 26 Aug 2012 12:46PM GMT
Surnames: Jefferson
Stacey: Thank you for all of the information. I am on vacation and do not have all of my notes, but I am sure that the Walter Jefferson I am looking for is part of the larger family. He is a collateral line. I think going through marriage records in Delaware would give me the answer I need. However, Delaware has not published many of those records so this will require a trip to the archives. What are the dates for the one Walter? Pamela

Posted: 11 Sep 2002 1:37AM GMT
Edited: 26 Aug 2012 12:47PM GMT
Pam - My 2G Grandfather Walter Jefferson was born 1840 in Eaton, Preble County, Ohio. His father, 3G Grandfather, was Lemuel Jefferson, born 10/8/1816 in Delaware. Lemuel was one of 4 sons born to my 4G Grandfather, Job Jefferson, born Sussex Co DE 01/25/1788. Job was a grandson of Richard Jefferson III.

My biggest mystery is proving which one of Richard's son is my Job's Dad. I have a belief, but no proof. I have tracked all of Richard's heirs and especially the 4 possible dads for my Job (only 4 of them had a son in their house that would have been 12 in 1800 like my Job): Elihu, Job, Warren & John.

Warren is my unproven 5G Grandfather. I started with Job (namesake theory and all) but all of Job Sr.'s kids are accounted for in his will - no son Job. I then tried John since my Job named his first son John, but found a descendant who had well traced this line - no Job. Warren is the only one who still had a son at home Job's age (22) in the 1810 Census. Job married in 1812. And my Job named his fourth son Warren, so for now - without further proof - Warren's my man. I have emailed the Delaware Archives for birth records or marriage records for Job in case they might indicate parentage, but no luck. Perhaps you are right about the Maryland instead of Delaware possibility. If you come across anything on this line, let me know. I'll keep my eyes open for your Walter.

Stacey Jefferson
Austin, Texas

Re: Richard Jefferson -- son Isaac Jefferson ?

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 12:40AM GMT
Edited: 26 Feb 2013 1:20PM GMT
Surnames: Jefferson, Ratledge, Groves
We have spoken before regarding the Delaware Jeffersons. My Isaac Jefferson was born in New Castle Delaware in 1792. We are fairly certain circumstantial lay that his father was Richard Jefferson because his first son was named Richard Jefferson. The person who signed the bond for Isaac's marriage was Moses Ratledge. Can you clarify the relationship of the Delaware Jeffersons and your Jefferson family to the Virginia Jeffersons.

Re: Richard Jefferson Family - from Delaware to Ohio

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 2:07AM GMT
Surnames: Jefferson, Groves
Stacey:
You and I have corresponded before. I believe that my husband is descended from this line. His furthest ancestor is Isaac Jefferson born 1792 in Delaware. The best guess is that his dad is Richard IV since he named his oldest son Richard.

Isaac moved to Kentucky and then to Missouri. My husband has done the Family Tree DNA thing. We are currently trying an experiment for my son's science fair project on changes in the Jefferson Y DNA by testing the male Jefferson members of his family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic