Search for content in message boards

ESTELLE FRATUS - DENNIS - Has now been found ....tks

ESTELLE FRATUS - DENNIS - Has now been found ....tks

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 5:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Jun 2012 12:56AM GMT
Looking for any info pertaining to the death of a g/aunt from Australia - Estelle Fratus vaudeville performer in the USA during the 1920-35

She travelled to USA marring Carl Denny Dennis enroute 1927 in Hawaii. She performed on vaudeville as dancer/comedian with Earl Carrolls Vanities during the 1920-30s. Moving onto performing with Henry Santrey & Soliders of Fortune 1930-35. I have located numerous newspaper articles of her performances under her maiden name - which indicates she was doing well, even a plug from Walter Winchell, calling her "The Star from Down Under".

Unfortunately at the peak of her career she died 7th march 1940. I have been able to find two memoriums from her husband in the Variety Magazines indicating her date of deatch but unable to discover exactly what state she died in and is now buried. Not sure if she was buried under FRATUS or DENNIS. Have been searching high and low.

Would appreciated any help or advice.
Regards
Laurin

Re: ESTELLE FRATUS - DENNIS

Posted: 4 Jun 2012 3:36AM GMT
Hi Laurin,

A suggestion I would have is to contact the NY Public Library. They have a large collection on the theatre and the arts, including vaudeville, et al. Perhaps they have a file on her - some newspaper clipping that did indicate a burial location or information that was forwarded to them.

NY Public Library -
http://www.nypl.org/locations/lpa/billy-rose-theatre-divisio...

Perhaps one or both of them were in a union. That might be another avenue to explore.

Good luck to you!
Kathleen

Re: ESTELLE FRATUS - DENNIS

Posted: 19 Jun 2012 2:33PM GMT
Surnames: Dennis, Fratus
I found Estelle Fratus Dennis obit in "The Detroit Free Press", Sunday, March 10, 1940, part one, page 9, column 5. She had lived in Detroit for 2 years and lived at 60 Winder St. She had a night club act with her husband, Carl L Dennis. Her mother, Anzina Fratus and brother, Arthur Fratus also survived her. Both living in Sydney, Australia. Funeral home was A J McInnes, 15941 Woodard. Services at St. Patrick's Church. Burial in Mt. Olivet Cemetery. The cemetery has a search engine and Estelle is listed. Gravestone can be seen at www.findagrave.com

Carl was listed in 1941 Detroit City Directory as living at 56 Winder and occupation was actor. No listings for 1938 or 1939.

I found several newspaper articles on Estelle Fratus at www.fultonhistory.com which has many NY historical newspapers and it is free.
Contact me and I will email you a copy of Estelle's obituary. I had looked it up for another person requesting her obituary.

Regards, Kay
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions