Search for content in message boards

DeFEW, HAYDEN, BUSH, PAGE surnames in Norfolk

DeFEW, HAYDEN, BUSH, PAGE surnames in Norfolk

Sally McMahon (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jul 2005 3:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Oct 2012 1:16PM GMT
Looking for connections with DeFew, Hayden, Bush, Page surnames in Norfolk.

Re: DeFew/Hayden/Bush surnames

Caroline (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2005 9:58PM GMT
Hi Sally
We've lots of info on Haydens.
Where do your Haydens originate from in Norfolk?
May be able to help, Caroline

Posted: 22 Jul 2005 11:16AM GMT
hi there
they actually originate from a village in Cambs called Willingham, but my branch went to Islington, and married into Bush family who had relatives in Norfolk (as well as Clerkenwell too).

Re: DeFEW, HAYDEN, BUSH, PAGE surnames in Norfolk

Posted: 23 Feb 2006 10:34PM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2012 1:21PM GMT
Surnames: Hayden, Balls, Stone,DENMARK , Marshall , Hall
Hello Caroline,

We have a William HAYDEN born c1832 - Publican; wife Amelia nee BALLS and/or STONE** born c1833, and children William born c1851 - Shoemaker; Henry c1855 - Pupil Teacher; Frederick c1867, plus an aunt Ann DENMARK born c1803 (married), Amelia's brother John STONE born c1839 - Shoemaker and a lodger Edward HALL all in the 1871 census - Pockthorpe, Norwich.

Amelia and John STONE are the brother and sister of my 2 x great-grandfather. ** judging by Amelia's age on the census, it is possible her parents weren't married when she was born. Her mother was a Mary BALLS, as far as we know. Father may have been Edward STONE, who did marry Mary BALLS in 1835 (assuming we've found the correct couple).

Also, Amelia's sister Mary was married to a John MARSHALL, living in Norwich at the same time.

Are any of these names familar to you? Of William HAYDEN, we've no further info, so any help/ or connections to the HAYDEN children would be wonderful.

Cheers ~ Toni, Ontario Canada

Posted: 24 Feb 2006 12:36PM GMT
Hi Toni

where was your William Hayden born in 1871? Found his wife in 1881 Norwich, a widow. There was a marriage for a William HAYDON (spelt with an O not an E), March Q 1863 Norwich ref 4b 266, also a death for William Haydon Norwich March Q 1879 aged 35 (born circ 1844).

There could be a connection if you know the place of William's birth, and his father's name, obtainable from his marriage certificate.

regards
Sally

Posted: 24 Feb 2006 6:36PM GMT
Hi Toni
Although we were not aware of Amelia’s maiden name and haven’t pursued her line back, we have plotted their family across all the relevant local census to1901.
William Hayden however is definitely in our line. He was christened August 1831 in Norwich, St James Pockthorpe to John Hayden and Sarah Brotherwood. One of at least ten children of which at least eight survived. We can trace William’s ancestors back to about 1750, although we don’t have a lot of info with regard to his descendants.
We can certainly forward you the census information and William’s ancestors if it would be of interest. It would probably be easier if you emailed us direct.
Regards Caroline.

Posted: 15 Mar 2006 1:09AM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2012 1:20PM GMT
Surnames: STONE, HAYDEN, WILLGRASS,GRAVES,BALLS,DENMARK,MARSHALL, CLARKE, PREFITT
Hello Sally,

Sorry if I haven't answered you before now.

Our William HAYDEN was born in Norwich c1832/33, according to the 1861 & 1871 census. As it turns out, he is part of the family being researched by Caroline/Andy GRAVES.

Yes Amelia was widowed at age 48, by 1880 actually. It looks like she remarried in 1886 to a WILLGRASS, I believe. Eventually we will obtain the marriage cert. Have a long list of certs we need to buy.

Until about 3 weeks ago, we had no idea where our 2 x g-grandfather, Edward Bauld STONE, was born. A first cousin of my Dad's found our group (15 ~ 1st, 2nd & 3rd cousins) who are researching our STONE-BALLS family, providing us with a major breakthrough. He had letters written to our 2 x (who was in Halifax Co. Nova Scotia) in 1875 by William HAYDEN and in 1870 by John STONE (Amelia's brother), giving news of each family member. Suddenly we had a large family in Norwich to follow/investigate. So it is early days yet, still gathering data together.

In 1867 our William took over the "7 Stars" Pub at 112 Barrack St, Pockthorpe (St James), from his aunt and uncle, William and Ann DENMARK. When WH died, Amelia ran it until Sept 1881.

Other names associated with Amelia's family, cousins to the HAYDEN children are: MARSHALL, CLARKE and PREFITT.

Does any of that sound familar to you? Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers ~ Toni (Ontario)

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 10:54PM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2012 1:19PM GMT
Surnames: Hayden, Balls Paxton, Stone
Hello Caroline,

Hoping you are still about the boards. I've not done much researching these past couple of years, but have been dipping back in this past week. I've been attempting to trace the 3 sons of William HAYDEN's and Amelia BALLS. Amelia's parents were James BALLS and Mary PAXTON. Edward STONE was her step-father.

I do believe I've found several descendants, still in Norfolk but not Norwich. Also think grandson Henry (son of William b.1851) is in Notts.

Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Toni
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions