Search for content in message boards

Carew / Carey family from Solloghodbeg / Soloheadbeg, Co. Tipperary

Carew / Carey family from Solloghodbeg / Soloheadbeg, Co. Tipperary

Posted: 12 Nov 2003 1:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Mar 2004 2:35AM GMT
Surnames: Carew, Carey,Hanley
I'm looking for information on the Carey / Carey family from Solloghodbeg (now seems to be spelled Soloheadbeg), Co. Tipperary. The family were originally Carews but by the beginning of the 20th century, they began to go by the name Carey. My great-great-grandfather, Edmond Carew, married Mary Hanley in Solohead in 1849 and they had the following children: Edmond, Mary (my great-grandmother), Catherine, Timothy, Johanna, Daniel, Sarah, John and Bridget, born between 1849 and 1869. I have some further information on the family - see my website www.helensfamilytrees.com - but I'd love if anyone out there could add to it. Thanks.

Re: Carew / Carey family from Solloghodbeg / Soloheadbeg, Co. Tipperary

Posted: 27 Jul 2004 3:55PM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2004 4:53PM GMT
I have a birth certificate of my GGret grandmother, Anna Carew, Baptized Sept. 4, 1822 in the church at Solohead (Soloheadbeg). Her parents were: Edmund Carew and Mary Gavin. Sponsors were : Thomas Keogh and Joanna Keogh. She married Richard English at the same church on 4/21/1841. Witnesses were : Thomas Carew and Edmund Carew. I have a history on this line if they are yours.
By the way, Solohodbeg means little willow.

Helen O'Connor (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2004 2:33PM GMT
Hi Thomas,
Many thanks for responding. There's definitely a possibility that my g-g-g-grandfather, Edmond Carew, from Soloheadbeg, was a son of Edmond Carew and Mary Gavin. However I just don't have any proof that there's a connection. I remember coming across somewhere that Mary Gavin died in Newfoundland but older Carew relatives don't recall any Newfoundland connection. Nevertheless I think there might be a connection - I've just looked up Griffiths Valuation for Soloheadbeg and the only Carew or Carey is Mary Carey who was presumably Mary Gavin, widow of Edmund Carew/Carey. The fact that there are no more Carey/Carew families in Griffiths for Solohead, or Soloheadmore for that matter, seems to suggest that there might have been just the one Carew family. So I would be very interested in the history of Anna Carew's line - thank you. I look forward to hearing from you.
Helen

Posted: 28 Jul 2004 4:17PM GMT
Mary Gavin died in St. John's, Newfoundland on March 3, 1863, and is buried there. She was born in 1791. She was my g-g-grandmother. She hasmany direct descendants still living there. If you go to roots web.com, check the database on Irish church records, you will find the entire family at the parish of Oola-Solohead. Good luck.

Posted: 28 Jul 2004 4:23PM GMT
Surnames: Carew
I have a letter written by Mary Gavin Carew's son, John, in 1871 depicting where the famiy was and what they were doing. The entire family except son, Edmond, baptized 2/18/1820 at Solohead, went to St. John's. Edmond remained in Ireland and as far as I know, remained there. You can e-mail me at grove871_kid@yahoo.com if you need anything else.

Helen O'Connor (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2004 8:28AM GMT
Thomas, I tried sending e-mailing you at grove871_kid@yahoo.com but got a delivery failure notice. Can you let me know if this is the correct e-mail address. Thanks.
Helen

Thomas Suttles (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2004 3:38PM GMT

Posted: 20 Feb 2010 2:16PM GMT
I have been browsing the above. There is still a Carew residing In Soloheadbeg. Theirs is also a family by the name of Gavin in the locality.

Posted: 20 Feb 2010 4:20PM GMT
Do you have an address on either of them? I'd love to contact them and put them in touch with the large Carew family in St. John's, Newfoundland, who are direct descendants. Yo can e-mail me at do.chara@ me.comcom.

Posted: 20 Feb 2010 5:42PM GMT
Daniel Carew, Soloheadbeg, Donohill, Tipperary.
Mrs Pauline Mckeogh, Soloheadbeg, Donohill, Tipperary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions