Search for content in message boards

Culkin's of Sligo

Culkin's of Sligo

Posted: 22 Aug 2001 10:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 May 2006 5:24PM GMT
I'm trying to trace the ancestors of Michael Culkin,born in Sligo in 1835. Married Bridget Martin in Pennsylvania in 1866.

Re: Culkin's of Sligo

Jerry Timlin (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2001 4:26PM GMT
Surnames: Culkin, Casey, Mannion
May wife's name was Culkin from Scranton Pa. Her ggf James Culkin came from Ireland, County Sligo near the Knock shrine area. His wife was Catherine Unknown and they had five children Michael Culkin (b 1833), John James (b 1863, my wife's gf), Ellen Culkin (b. ukn, h Casey, c Katheryn, John), Nora (h. Mannion, c Charles) and Kate (h unknown). We have no record of Michael having married and tend to think he did not, while he was in the US. He did return to Ireland and was never heard from to our knowledge.
If this looks interesting please contact me with further details that you may have.

Posted: 4 Sep 2001 8:48PM GMT
My Michael was born in 1833 in Sligo. He joined the Union Army during the Civil War in 1862. He was discharged in 1865. He married Bridget martin in 1866 at the age of 33. Had 5 known children. Mary A., John, Michael,Catherine, and Thomas Patrick(my grandfather.) He died in 1885 in Scranton. He and Bridget are buried in Cathedral Cemetery in Hyde Park section of Scranton. I know nothing about his parents or siblings. When I checked records for Sligo there were 3 Culkins living there circa 1840. Quite a coincidence if it's not the same family. If you know anymore please drop a line.

Posted: 5 Sep 2001 6:18PM GMT
There were a number of Culkin families in Scranton. One family I remember owned a Tire Company on Wyoming Ave., but they were not related to my wife.

A copy of the Scranton directory for about the mid 1800 (I dont have an exact date) lists the following Culkins:

Culken Michael, brushmaker, h. Chestnut, n. Troy. H.P.
Culkin James, saloon, Penn Ave., n Phelps, h. do., P.B.
Culkin, Mary Mrs., h. Penn Ave., n. New, P.B.
Culkin, Michael, laborer, h. Penn ave., n. New, P.B.
Culkin Michael, bricklayer, h. Penn. ave. ne New P.B.
Culkin Thomas, laborer, D. Mine, h. Diamond Flats.
(sorry I have no idead what the P.B. stand for after the address)

Another copy of the directory (taken from microfilm in the Scranton Public Library) has the following listed

Culkin Agnes B clk ICS r 327 Phelps
Culkin Alice clk r816 S Wyo Ave.
Culkin Anna lace wkr r932 Prov rd
Culkin Anna M stayer r910 W Elm
Culkin Cath A sten r1044 W Market
Culkin Cath L bkpr r432 N Chestnut av
Culkin Eleanor E student r930 Jeff Ave
Culkin Eliz G clk ICS h327 Phelps
Culkin Eliz L h432 N. Chestnut Ave
Culkin Eug J. attdt r403 Phelps
Culkin Frank student r140 S Van Buren Ave
Culkin Gerald J. clk Burton E. Stevens r920 Jeff AVe
Culkin Henen H Sec Garry Shampanier r1044 W Market
Culkin Helen M. bkpr B&J Service STa r403 Phelps
Culkin Helen R bkpr r432 N Chestnut Ave.
Culkin Hugh H. (Bridget G) h907 Capouse AVe
Culkin James P plmbr r614 Genet (my wife family
Culkin John (Cath) cond h435 Pear (my wifes family
Culkin John J (Margt) cond h1079 W Market
Culkin John J (Fannie) eng h138 S Van Buren Av
Culkin John j (Sarah) janitor h614 Genet (wifes family
Culkin John J (Agnes) slsmn h 403 Phelps
Culkiin John T (Julia) prin Thaddeus Koskiusko Sch h1078 W. Market.
Culkin Michl F pump runner 4140 S Van Buren av
Culkin Michl J h1044 W Market
Culkin Michl J (Florence)lab h 1107Rundle
Culkin Michl J (Maia T) miner h13120 Capouse AVe
Culkin Nora D instr ICS r614 Genet St. (wifes family)
Culkin Patk lab r932 Prov rd
Culkin Patk F lieut Fire Dept r 1044 W Market
Culkiin Robt P appr r930 Jeff Av
Culkin Romayne M. student r403 Phelps
Culkin Sarah nurse r910 W. Elm
Culkin Thomas lab Aver Safety Lamp &Mine Supply Co r1324 Capouse Ave.
Culkin Thomas (Mary) mach r307 Church(D)
Culkin Thomas window trimmer r910 W Elm
Culkin Thos A (Cath) mtrmn h816 S Wyo Ave
Culkin Thomas J lab r1317 Monsey Av
Culkiin Wm A. adjuster r326 Warren
Culkin Wm R. (Cath V)driver h 916 Capouse AV.

I believe but am not sure the above directory dates about 1870, but again I'm not certain of that since the pages I copied have nothing to indicate date.

Posted: 5 Sep 2001 10:35PM GMT
Thanks, I've been through all the Scranton directories. I too was born in Scranton. I now live just north of there.
My father and 2 of my aunts were in the lower one you sent.
If you find out anything else in the ancestor line let me know. Maybe we connect further back.

Posted: 18 Sep 2001 1:27PM GMT
Edited: 6 Feb 2002 4:24PM GMT
Surnames: GILMARTIN, JUDGE, HICKS, MC DONALD, FLYNN, DOLAN, HOLLORAN
Hi Jerry and Linda, I have a connection to the CULKIN'S in Scranton. Probably as neighbors and friends of my HICKS, GILMARTIN & HALLINAN relatives. I have J. CULKIN, who in 1865 was Godfather of Michael J. HICKS (my grandfather) and Michael CULKIN, on 5-14-1913 was a pallbearer for Mary GILMARTIN HALLINAN (my greataunt). They were parishioners of St. Peter's Cathedral and buried in Cathedral Cemetery. P.B. stands for Pine Brook, an Irish neighborhood near S.B., stands for Sandy Banks, near the Lackawanna River in Scranton. Phelps, Wyoming, Mineral and Penn Avenues are in that area. If you have any knowledge of my surnames I would appreciate knowing. Mary

Posted: 18 Sep 2001 2:41PM GMT
My wife family had the following:

James Culkin (married Catherine (UKN) Culkin
Children
John James
Ellen who married a Casey and they had two children Katherine and John. The Casey family ran a drug store in the Pittston area near Scranton.
Nora who married a Mannion
Kate whose husband is unk.
Michael b. Abt 1833 whom we think returned to Ireland but are not sure.
Thomas b. abt 1837

Does any of this strike a cord, if so let me know.

Posted: 18 Sep 2001 4:54PM GMT
Jerry, Unfortunately I don't know any more of the Culkin's on my list. My husband's name of Casey did not come from that area. We live in Michigan and his family came to Detroit, not PA. Mannion, I don't have on my list as a friend or relative of my families. I think the Michael I have is a later child, if he was a pallbearer in 1913, and don't know if he is a child of your Michael. Thanks for answering. Wish we had more answers. Mary

Posted: 20 Sep 2001 8:45PM GMT
My Thomas Culkin was born in Ireland and came to Scranton, Lackawanna Co., PA. He married a Bridget that may have had the last name of Feeney. I believe that they had eight children. I am directly related through one of their daughters named Winifred. Does this so8und familiar?

Posted: 21 Sep 2001 3:05AM GMT
Surnames: GILMARTIN/KILMARTIN, JUDGE
Unfortunately, I don't have a Thomas listed as a wedding witness or godparent to my families. Do you know anymore about their friends or life in Scranton? Where they lived? Thanks for answering. I've collected a lot of info from St. Peter's cathedral, the census and city directories. Mary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic