Search for content in message boards

Millview or Milsted Cemetery

Millview or Milsted Cemetery

Posted: 23 Jun 2011 2:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for clarification as I research the Pursell family. I have obituaries for Samuel T Pursell in 1954 and Charles Adrian Pursell in 1947 that say they were buried at the Milliew Cemetery. Not sure about Charles, but today I went to what is called the Milsted Family Cemetery and saw the headstone of Samuel, and I was wondering if at one time, the Milsted Cemetery might have been called the Millview cemetery?
I think there may be other Pursell's buried there but many of the graves are unmarked. I am wondering if Samuel's wife was buried there and Charles, and perhaps their parents, Henry Thomas Pursell and Louisa Elizabeth Williams Pursell.

Steve

Re: Millview or Milsted Cemetery

Posted: 23 Jun 2011 11:40AM GMT
Since you are in the area, why not visit a funeral home?
Bet they know the history?

Posted: 24 Jun 2011 12:10PM GMT
So far I have had no luck with that as the people I have talked to haven't been around long enough to know the history. Will keep trying.

Posted: 24 Jun 2011 11:35PM GMT

Posted: 25 Jun 2011 12:09AM GMT
Yes I saw these listings. The question that I have comes from about 3 different obituaries and/or funeral home records listing that the person was buried in Millview Cemetery. At least 2 of these 3 are buried in what is now called Milsted Cemetery. The period range for these obits is from 1947-1961. I am just wondering that if sometime after 1961, the cemetery names were somehow changed and what was commonly known as Millview became Milsted, etc.

Posted: 12 Nov 2011 7:10AM GMT
It is confusing. There's also a small cemetery on old Bronson Field further down Hwy98 that has some Milstead's buried in it. I've heard some of my older relatives call that one Milstead Cemetery. The Black Millview Cemetery is accessed from Blue Angel Pkwy. The 'other' Millview or Milstead Cemetery is just on Lillian Hwy across from Perdido Bay. The one you may be talking about, on Lillian Hwy, was at one time the object of an access feud and a fence was placed around it. The other locals were not amused and placed their own fence around the rest of the burial area. It is still used today but only by a member of one of the original familys who have always been there. I believe the cemetery was started during the time when the sawmills were in abundance there. The Southern States Lumber Co. owned the land at that time.
If I remember right, the first burial was a soldier who drowned. Someone robbed his grave of his sword and medals and that's when the argument on access began.I will pass this query along to our local 'expert' who has researched this.

Posted: 14 Nov 2011 1:44AM GMT
Thanks for your response and hope you can more information. Really would like to know more about the graves that have concrete slabs but are unidentified.
Thanks again.

Posted: 14 Jun 2012 4:51AM GMT
Edited: 14 Jun 2012 4:52AM GMT
Surnames: Pursell
yes Grandpa Pursell is there as his wife and Uncle Sams wife They are buried in unmarked graves by the large Oak as you enter the cemetary I don;t know about Great Grandpa Pursell and great Grandma But I know someone who will know if I can contact het feel free to email me a Kpursell53@yahoo.com

Posted: 14 Jun 2012 4:57AM GMT
Edited: 14 Jun 2012 5:03AM GMT
Close the black cemetary was call bayou marcus "by moccas" for locals The other is indeed the Milstead Pursell Reeves cemetary It was actually 2 young boys who drowned in Perdido Bay the graveyard was there before the sawmills The so called feud was because people were trying to take part of the property

Posted: 14 Jun 2012 4:59AM GMT
Which ones do you need to know about
per page

Find a board about a specific topic