Search for content in message boards

Barnetts from VA to Southern states?

Barnetts from VA to Southern states?

Posted: 28 Feb 2007 7:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Barnett
I have ready many posts regarding Barnetts in the southern states. My ancestor, Alexander Barnett was born in VA., fought in the Rev. War in S.C., then migrated to Kentucky. His descendants went to Ill., where my grandfather was born.
He had a large number of siblings, so, my question is: does anyone from these families in the South know of having VA. roots, particularly William Barnett?

thank you,

Sue Barnett Gaumer

Re: Barnetts from VA to Southern states?

Posted: 1 Mar 2007 9:17PM GMT
Surnames: Barnett, Hutchins
My wife comes from a Virginia Quaker Barnett line. The earliest ancestor was a John Barnett, ca. 1680-1765. These Barnetts subsequently went to Ohio & Indiana; then Iowa & Nebraska; then Oregon. If this is your line, a good resource is Rita Hineman Townsend's Hutchins-Hutchens. Descendants of Strangeman Hutchins. Born 1707, of the James River in Virginia and Surry (Yadkin) County, North Carolina, because they intermarried with the Hutchins family

Posted: 2 Mar 2007 8:25AM GMT
Most of the Barnett's in the South are descendants of two brothers, Robert and James, who migrated from Pennsylvania to Virginia. (According to Pennsylvania Genealogies-Chiefly Scotch and Irish.) Their ancestors were originally from Ireland. The descendants of these two brothers have spread across the country.

My ggggrandfather, James Barnett, was born in Virginia and died in Kentucky. His father, William, was born in Pennsylvania and died in Indiana.

When and where was your William Barnett born? You can e-mail me privately at mizkitty92@hotmail.com

Karen Barnett

Posted: 15 Mar 2007 6:49PM GMT
Thank you for responding. My Barnetts did not migrate to the states that you mentioned. An interesting point is that my ggrandfather married a Hutchin, but he is not from the same line as Strangeman. It is no wonder that searching our ancestors can get very confusing.

Thank you again.

Posted: 8 Apr 2007 1:06AM GMT
My Barnett's are from southern Illinois. The earliest I can verify is Joseph Barnett,born around 1800. His father MAY have been David Barnett, but not sure. Does any one have any other information. Were they from Virginia? Thanks.

Posted: 8 Apr 2007 1:41PM GMT
In my research recently of the same Alexander that Sue is researching, I came across of a legal record showing a James Barnett renting land in Culpeper Co. VA at about the time of Alexander's birth (1754).

Does anyone have information about this James Barnett?

Allan Barnett

Posted: 13 Apr 2007 1:39AM GMT
is it william allen barnett?

Posted: 15 Apr 2007 1:03AM GMT

I don't know the middle name.

Posted: 1 May 2007 6:21PM GMT
my ancestor-william barnett-moved from nelson co., VA to Madison co, KY in the 1790's. is this of interest?

Posted: 13 May 2007 8:18PM GMT
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond - for some reason I wasn't notified of this response, or missed it.
I would be very interested in the information on your line.

Thank you,

Sue Barnett Gaumer
sgaumer@wildblue.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic