Search for content in message boards

RICHMOND, HOLLINGER, CURRY

RICHMOND, HOLLINGER, CURRY

Paul Richmond (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Richmond, Hollinger, Curry, Ross, Wasson, Kernahan, Bunting, Gibson
William Richmond married Jane Hay c.1860. They had a son Alexander in 1866. Alexander married Margaretta Ferguson c.1895. They had son William John Richmond in 1897 who later married MIldred Marian Wasson. All these people came from the Ballymena or Ballymoney areas.

Joseph Hollinger(BORN 1857- 1859)married Isabella Murray (BORN1853- 55) (both from Ballymena) They had Isabella (BORN 1896), Joseph, Lizzie, Thomas and James. Isabella later married William Ross.(MARRIED IN 1922)

KERNAHAN

Peggy Isbell (View posts)
Posted: 6 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: KERNAHAN
What are your KERNAHAN interests?? I don't see this spelling very often. My KERNAHANs were in New York state, USA in the early 1800's. An unknown KERNAHAN had the following children in Ireland: James, Nancy(m.William NICOLSON), Mary Ann (m.William HIGGINSON), Thomas (m.Jane BLANCHARD)--this is my line, and Alexander (m.Hannah ?) I have letters dated in the 1850's from the family in Ireland to the US. They were postmarked from Leitrim and Crookedstone. Could use all the help I can get!!

Adam Hollinger 1770s Hollinger's Island, Mobile, Ala., from Ireland

Posted: 28 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Apr 2003 1:18PM GMT
Surnames: Hollinger
I desc. Adam Hollinger of 1770s Hollinger's Island, off Mobile, Alabama. He was born Ireland, parents unknown. Possibly he is kin to Absolum, William, and Titus Hollinger of 1790s Augusta, Georgia, also from Ireland? Do you know anything about the Hollingers in Ireland? Jim, Charlotte, N.C.

JUST A STORY?

Posted: 5 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 2:34PM GMT
Surnames: CARNAHAN, CARNAGHAN, KERNAHAN, KERNAGHAN
Perhaps someone may be able to review & correct or confirm the assumed facts in the following family "story" sent to me by descendants of one of the Carnahan family lines in America. I would like to know if there are documentary resources which confirm any parts of this. Thanks.

----
THE CARNAHANS

The earliest connected ancestors of our line of Carnahans we believe is William Carnahan, who on Sept. 2nd 1476 became a burgress (sp?) of the guild of Fleashers of Aberdeen, Scotland. He was licensed to the trade of what we call a butcher. One of his son, William Carnochane was a farmer and a tenant under the Maxwells of Kelton, Kirchudbrightshire. A son of his William Carnoquhan was licensed to marry Marian Aull, a widow of Thomas McCormick in Caryk, Aryshire, Scotland. His son, James Careghan was born in 1540 and on May 3rd 1574 married Mareono Kinny or Kinnair daughter of John Kinnair a family of importance whose name appears in various writs of the time.

About this time it appears that three clans, all somehow related (Carnochan, Carnaghan and Carnathan united for their mutual protection. They lived on the North Ireland coast and in Scotland. During the Great Reformation they followed the Calvinistic faith under the leadership of James Alexander Carnahan. They did battle with Mary Tudor around the time of 1553 to 1558. In the last year of her reign their leader was killed and their goods and land was confiscated by the crown. Of those who survived and escaped there are traces of two branches that took refuge in Scotland. One settling near Dunfriere and becoming weavers, the other at Aberdeen, becoming stone masons owning large rock quarries. This may be where the name Baille Mackarnaghan or Micharnaghan comes from. This means the son of the man where there was apile of stones in his field (son-stone-field).

This family line gets kind of confused here, but some of the Carnahan heritage is listed below. One of sons of James Careghan and Mareono Kinny is Andro Carnaghan. He was born about 1575 and inherited his father's land in Caryk, It appears that he was also a "smith", this could be the rock smith from the quarry. He married a Margaret Kennedy prior to 1603. From this point it appears that a son, William Caragan was born around 1600. He was the first member of the family to whom a special appellation of gentleman applied. The term indicated that he was a land owner of significance. He married Mareon a daughter of Herbert Maxwell of Kirconnell. It is not clear if this is the same Maxwell family that 200 years prior had married into the line but the area of Scotland is the same. She died, evidently in childbirth about a year later 1623 and William married his second wife in February 1640 who was Margaret Orr. They had a son named James who was born in Auchincairn, Kirchudbrightshire in 1643. James inherited all of the land, and then went to Legeniel (sp?), County Antrim, Ireland on Oct 14,1687. He died on August 14, 1718. In 1702 Queen Anne decreed that only members of the Established Church of England could vote. This along with high land rent encouraged some of the Carnahans to go with William Penn to the US. It appears that one of the sons of James above was James Alexander Carnahan. He had fourteen sons, three of which came to the US in 1700s settling in Cumberland Valley. The three were James, Hugh, and John.
----

ANCESTORS

Posted: 5 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2001 5:01AM GMT
Surnames: CARNAHAN, CARNAGHAN, KERNAHAN, KERNAGHAN
Thanks for your note. I, too, have questions about documentary information for ancestors of the American Carnahans.

The following persons are reported to be from Antrim County. Any help with location of documentation about them will be most welcomed.

We have a large number of Carnahan descendants in America who are very interested to establish the documentary links for those who immigrated here in the 1700's and 1800's. Thank you, in advance.

Carnahan, David b. 17 SEP 1747 Randallstown, Antrim Co., Ireland d. 24 DEC 1824 St. Clair Twp., Allegheny Co., PA

Capt. James Carnahan born 10/19/1692, married to Margaret Janny, came to America, ca1731, from County Antrim, Ireland with four sons, William,John,Joseph and James.

additional information (unproven, as yet) about Capt. James Carnahan:
"Capt.James Carnahan (b.10/19/1692) married Margaret Janny on 8/4/1714; died possibly 1780-1788, probably in Pa.
They came to America, with sons William, John, James, and Joseph, ca 1731. They sailed in a ship from Londonderry and landed at Cape Henlopen, Delaware.  The ship was owned by some of the families or a family who came on the voyage. This boat included the families Brady, McCune, McCormick, Carnahan, Hemphill, Sharp, McConnell, Jamison, and Young."

-----
If any of you have information about these ancestors, please know that we are interested.
http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/genbbs.cgi/surnames/car/Carn...

Relatives

Doris Jean Richmond Wise (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Richmond

I am looking for Richmond relatives. I am originally from Waldron AR

Shankill forebears

Frank L. Bunting (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: BUNTING
GRIFFITH'S MENTIONS JAMES BUNTING AND ELIZABETH BUNTING AS BEING IN SHANKILL IN CO. ANTRIM IN OR AROUND THE MIDDLE 1800'S. MY ELIZABETH WOULD HAVE BEEN ELIZABETH MCWADE. IF THEY ARE 'MINE' THEN THEY MOVED ON TO BRAY IRELAND WHERE THEY PRODUCED A FREDERICK W. BUNTING IN SEPTEMBER OF 1881. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY WORD FROM ANYONE HAVING CONNECTIONS TO THESE FOREBEARS. FRANK L. BUNTING

Shankill Forebears

Frank L. Bunting (View posts)
Posted: 3 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bunting, McWade, Morrissey
Dear Maree: I thank you for your interest and assistance. I was aware of the famous Edward Bunting, but not his brother, John. I shall keep this data along with my existing notes on Sir Edward just in case I find that I am connected to him and/or his brother, John. Thanks again. Frank L. Bunting

BUNTING, BELFAST

Posted: 3 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jul 2001 1:05AM GMT
Surnames: BUNTING
The only reference for Bunting I could find for you is taken from Old Belfast Families and The New Burying Ground, Graveyard Inscriptions Vol. 4, compiled by A.C.W. Merrick and edited by R.S.J. Clarke.

BUNTING: Erected in memory of John Bunting who died 18th Oct. 1828 aged 52 yrs. Harriet Bunting died 12th Jan. 1830 aged 23 yrs. Thomas Ash Bunting died 17th Nov. 1833 age 21 yrs. Mary Bunting died 17th Jan. 1837 aged 21 yrs. Sarah Bunting died 21st May, 1837 aged 67 yrs. The rist and last on this tablet were the parents of the intervening three, their beloved and only children.
[John Bunting ran a school for young ladies at 1 Donegall Place. In the 1800's it was situated at 67 Donegall Street. His brother, Edward Bunting is famous for having chronicled so much of Ireland's old music]

Hope this helps,
best wishes
Maree

Re: KERNAHAN

Posted: 8 Sep 2001 4:54PM GMT
Edited: 24 May 2002 12:58AM GMT
Surnames: kernahan and dennison
I have ancestors named Kernahan in upstate NY. Would appreciate any information. Thank you
per page

Find a board about a specific topic