Search for content in message boards

Can Someone Visit the Nassau County Courthouse (in Mineola, NY) For Me?

Can Someone Visit the Nassau County Courthouse (in Mineola, NY) For Me?

Posted: 6 Feb 2002 8:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
2-6-2002

I need to find out if there is a last will and testament on file for EVA PACKER (died March 1981 in Glen Cove, NY/Nassau County), and was born Sept. 15, 1901. I need to find out the name and address of the estate executor and the name and address of any surviving relatives of this lady. Please tell me how many pages are in the probate file, as I may need to get a photocopy of them.

The probate files are available for free for anyone who wants to look at them.

Thanks for your assistance.

SINCERELY,

KEITH NORTHINGTON, Genealogical Researcher
P. O. BOX 3328
TULSA, OK 74101-3328

e-mail: keith345@hotmail.com

Re: Can Someone Visit the Nassau County Courthouse (in Mineola, NY) For Me?

Walter Greenspan (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2002 7:04PM GMT
That's real nice of Peggee Seaman Nelson (PeggeeNels@aol.com) to volunteer to go to Surrogate Court.

Peggy eMails to the list (but, not the board) "If you don't get anyone to look up the will by March 16th, let me know and I will check it out when I go back east for two weeks. I'm in California but will be going home to visit my daughter for two weeks Easter time."

HOWEVER, the county seat is not and has never been in Mineola. Yes, it has a "Mineola, NY" mailing address, but Village of Mineola and the "Mineola, NY" postal zone have much differtent borders.

The county seat is in the Village of Garden City, which itself has a different border than does the "Garden City, NY" postal zone..

The somewhat gruesome details follows my name.

Regards,

Walter Greenspan

Nassau’s First Real Estate Scam

The History of Nassau's County Seat

While Mineola was designated the Nassau County seat when Nassau County seceded from Queens County on January 1, 1899, the county seat was actually built in Garden City as part of a real estate scam that began a longstanding Nassau County tradition.

In 1898, after Long Island City, the Towns of Flushing, Jamaica and Newtown and the Rockaway peninsular of the Town of Hempstead had joined New York City, the eastern 3 towns (Hempstead, North Hempstead and Oyster Bay) had to pick a location for the new county seat as the previous county seat was now inside New York City.

The choices put before the voters were: the Hamlet of Hicksville in Oyster Bay, the Hamlet of Mineola (Mineola was not yet a village) in North Hempstead and the Village of Hempstead in Hempstead. The residents of the two smaller towns, North Hempstead and Oyster Bay, did not want the county seat to be in the Town of Hempstead because of reasons dating back to the Revolutionary War when the residents of that area were loyal to the King. They voted for Mineola in the Town of North Hempstead. Mineola won.

However, A.T. Stewart’s Garden City Co. which owned property just south of Mineola wanted the county seat built closer to their property to increase its value. They offered land in Garden City free of charge to the new county government. This land was accepted, and to cover up this real estate scam, the Mineola postal zone was dragged down across the town line to cover this part of Garden City in the Town of Hempstead.

The County Executive building, Supreme Court and the County Court—the 3 key elements of a county seat—are all inside the Village of Garden City in the Town of Hempstead and all have a Mineola mailing address.

Meanwhile, the Garden City Co. owned all the land surrounding the county seat like a doughnut surrounds its hole and profited very nicely, thank you.

Keith Northington (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2002 1:34AM GMT
2-7-2002

DEAR MR. GREENSPAN:

Thank you so much for your helpful and informative reply. You certainly know much about the history of your area. However I am still a bit confused: do you have any idea of what street address and the exact city state or phone number I would write to (or call) to get information about the probate court records?

The information I have is possibly 240 Old Country Road, Mineola, NY, but are you saying the city should be Garden City, NY?

SINCERELY,

keith345@hotmail.com

Walter Greenspan (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2002 4:19PM GMT
The county court house has a "Mineola, NY 11501" mailing address despite the fact that it's physically within the Village of Garden City.

The U.S. Postal Service is extremely disingenuous when they instruct that the last line of any mailing address in the U.S.A. is "city or town, state and ZIP code". Simply not true.

The last line of any address anywhere in the U.S.A. is "postal city or postal town, postal state and ZIP code".

Never, ever assume that a place is actually in the community whose name is in its mailing address. The only sure way of knowing which community a place may be located is to look at that place's property tax bill.

Unfortunately for genealogists the mail delivery problem caused by the USPS in Nassau and Suffolk Counties (and everywhere else in the USA) is not the major problem to be aware of when searching your family tree.

The major problem is that the USPS uses non-conforming postal zones -- now referred to as ZIP Codes -- and this leads to severe geographic confusions about where a particular place may be located in the cities, villages and hamlets of Nassau and Suffolk Counties. Of all 292 communities located on Long Island, only the Village of Sea Cliff in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County and its same-named postal zone have identical borders. All the other postal zones in either county have a different border from the community (city, village or hamlet) whose name the postal zone "shares".

The following should help you understand better the confusion between postal zone community and true community -- and, it may also bring a smile or two to your lips:

This is a preliminary and partial listing of famous Long Island places that are "Not Where You Think They Are". It's somewhat incredulous that the majority of places in Nassau and Suffolk Counties have a different community name in their mailing address than the community they are actually in,

..............You Ain't Where You Think You Are
.................Place, Community (Postal Zone)

Cold Spring Harbor Lab, Village of Laurel Hollow (Cold Spring Harbor, NY)

C.W. Post University, Village of Brookville (Greenvale, NY)

Fishers Island, Hamlet of Fishers Island (Fishers Island, CT)

Hofstra University Dorms, Hamlet of East Garden City (Hempstead, NY)

Jericho Cider Mill, Village of Muttontown (Jericho, NY)

Leonard's of Great Neck, Hamlet of University Gardens (Great Neck, NY)

Long Island Jewish Hospital, Village of Lake Success (New Hyde Park, NY)

Long Island RR Station, Village of Great Neck Plaza (Great Neck, NY)

Long Island RR Station, Hamlet of East Northport (Northport, NY)

Nassau Executive Building, Village of Garden City (Mineola, NY)

Nassau County Community College, Hamlet of East Garden City (Garden City, NY)

Nassau County Supreme Court, Village of Garden City (Mineola, NY)

Planting Fields Arboretum, Village of Upper Brookville (Oyster Bay, NY)

Republic Airport, Hamlet of East Farmingdale (Farmingdale, NY)

Roosevelt Field, Hamlet of East Garden City (Westbury, NY)

Sagamore Hill, Village of Cove Neck (Oyster Bay, NY)

St. Francis Hospital, Village of Flower Hill (Roslyn, NY)

SUNY Farmingdale, Hamlet of East Farmingdale (Farmingdale, NY)

Suffolk Old County Seat, Hamlet of Riverside (Riverhead, NY)

Sunrise Mall, Hamlet of East Massapequa (Massapequa, NY)

Tilles Center, Village of Brookville (Greenvale, NY)

Troop L, NYS Police, Hamlet of East Farmingdale (Farmingdale, NY)

Veteran's Memorial Coliseum, Hamlet of East Garden City (Uniondale, NY)

Walt Whitman House, Hamlet of West Hills (Huntington Station, NY)

Walt Whitman Mall, Hamlet of South Huntington (Huntington Station, NY)

Westbury Music Fair, Hamlet of Jericho (Westbury, NY)

Please eMail me if you know of additional places that "Ain't Where You Think You Are" that I can add to the above list.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions