Search for content in message boards

Looking Indian Heritage

Indian Heritage

Nancy Bedgood (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ginny Hassell
My Grandmother Orphia Hassell Alexander was raised in Pea Ridge.We were told we have Cherokee Indian .Would like information :Please

Looking Indian Heritage

Nancy Bedgood (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Ginn Biggs Hassell
I was raised in Washington Co.I am beginning my ancestor search.My great Grandmothers name was Ginny Biggs Hassell Peacock.She had a daughter Orphia Ida Hassell,Virginia Hassell,Sylvester Hassell.I am looking to find out the Indian Heritage if their is any?

Cherokee Indian Research

Posted: 29 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jan 2003 8:57AM GMT
Surnames: ALEXANDER, ANTHONY, BOLTON, CROSS, CHRISMAN, COOLEY, CONNALLY, CONNOLLY, EDMONDS, FOSHEE, GRAVES, HILL, KIRKPATRICK, MALONE, MCMINN, PRITCHETT, SMITH, SPRUILL
My g.g. grandfather on my mother's maternal side, William Riley Chrisman, purportedly also married a full-blooded Cherokee Indian. I have always been very much interested in doing some Indian research; however, because of limited time available, I have done no research into my purported Cherokee ancestry. Recently, at the Huntsville Public Library I did briefly check some of their Indian research sources displayed on the counter of their Genealogical Room and extracted names of many individuals with surnames that I am researching! One of the documents was an undated "Cherokee Messenger" published by The Cherokee Cultural Society of Houston entitled "So Your Grandmother was a Cherokee Princess?" If you have a FAX capability, I will be glad to FAX this document to you. Along with other discussion, the document discussed two different things related to "Finding Your Cherokee Ancestor." They were, quote: "I. Did your ancestor live in Oklahoma between 1893 and 1906? A. If yes, are they on the Dawes Rolls? (Microfiche M-1186, roll 1) 1. If not on the Dawes Rolls, are they on the Guion Miller general index (M-1104, roll)? a. If yes, follow references from Miller records on M-685 to Drennen or Chapman Rolls (M-685, Roll 12.) You can get a copy of someone's application by sending the application number to: National Archives(NNFJ), Washington DC 20408 b. If no, are they on the "Intruder" lists? (7RA-53 and 7RA-55) 1. If yes, they were not recognized as Cherokee citizens. 2. If no, check the 1896 Old Settler Payment Roll (T-985) a. If yes, check Old Settler Roll of 1851 (M-685, roll 12) 1. Check History of the Cherokee Indians, by Emmet Starr b. If no, your ancestor may be Cherokee but it is unlikely they are on any roll. 2. If yes, (they were listed on the Dawes Rolls) note their enrollment number and category and find their enrollment card on M-1186. 3. Then use the information on enrollment card to search earlier rolls such as 1896 Census (7RA-19) and 1880 Census (7RA-07) 4. Then check M-1301 for enrollment packet. 5. Is this a direct ancestor? 6. If yes, you are eligible for registration: Contact Cherokee Nation, Tribal Registrar, PO Box 948, Tahlequah OK 74465-0948. II. Did your ancestor reside in the North Carolina/Tennessee area? A. If yes, is their name on any roll in CHEROKEE ROOTS by Bob Blankenship? 1. If yes, contact the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians, PO Box 455, Cherokee NC 28719 B. If no, are they on the Guion Miller general index (m-1104, roll)? 1. If yes, follow references from Miller records on M-685 to Drennen or Chapman Rolls (M-685, Roll 12.) 2. If no, are they on the "Intruder" lists? (7RA-53 and 7RA-55) a. If yes, they were not recognized as Cherokee citizens. b. If no, check the 1896 Old Settler Payment Roll (T-985) 1. If yes, check Old Settler Roll of 1851 (M-685, roll 12) a. Check History of the Cherokee Indians, by Emmet Starr 2. If no, your ancestor may be Cherokee but it is unlikely they are on any roll." I hope these details provided by this Cherokee Cultural Society of Houston helps in your research! If you want me to FAX the two page document to you, please send me your FAX number!

Also, my g.g.g. grandfather on my mother's paternal side was John Anthony Alexander (1772/1773)(NC). In the Washington County N. C. Alexander and Spruill Deeds on the Internet at http://c-23.rootsweb.com/usgenweb/archives/nc/washington/dee... (on page 8 of 11 pages) as entry G 818 1834 it shows land sold by him and his heirs to Hezekiah Lewis, on 20 Dec. 1834 (Reg. on 5 April 1837, Wit: ___ Lewis, Joshua Tarkenton). That deed named Anthony Alexander, Ephraim, William, Osters [believed to be Ostin or Austin], Valentine, Mary, Nancy, Penelope, and Rebecca Alexander. I would very much like to find a copy of that deed. Can you please give me an official contact in Washington County, NC (address and phone number) from which I can order this deed and two other related deeds listed therein? All of these Alexander individuals and their families, plus a Franklin -- living in a separate household with Mary -- were first shown in the 1850 Marshall County, Alabama Federal Census. Per a local newspaper clipping in possession of my cousin, John Anthony Alexander and his family came to Marshall County, Alabama in the mid 1800s to be with his son Ephraim Alexander (my g.g. grandfather). There were 4 Alexander Heads of Households here at that time: John Anthony Alexander (78)(NC), Ephraim (39)(NC), William (36)(SC), and Franklin (40)(NC). Since Franklin was not named in the referenced deed, he must have been the son of another Alexander family from NC.

Doris Cooley Edmonds

Washington county

Joyce Phelps (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Alexander

I am NBedgood's sis and I got her started in this search. Read your request, phone number for Washington County Register of deeds office is 252-793-2325. Plymouth, NC 27970. Thanks for all your help. and good luck!
i don't have a name but they will help.

hide and seek-Pritchett

Posted: 2 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 13 Aug 2001 3:04PM GMT
Surnames: Respess, Respass, Langley, Pritchett, Cutler, Bowen, Waters, Baynor, Wallis, Wallace, Webster, Campbell, Gurganeus
Washington Co. NC records of 1844 say that Elizabeth Respess, daughter of John, is married to Thomas A Pritchett. Records further show she and Thomas sold land she heired from her granddad Langley Respess...Then what became of them? did they move away? Anyone having the Pritchatt line (no matter how its spelled) please contact me at vdrh@tri-countynet.net. All my surnames contacts are welcome Jenny

Cherokee Ancestry

Posted: 2 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: ALEXANDER, AUSTIN, BOLTON, CROSS, CHRISMAN, COOLEY, CONNALLY, CONNOLLY, CONLEY, EDMONDS, FOSHEE, GAMBRELL, GRAVES, HILL, KIRKPATRICK, MALONE, MCMINN, PRITCHETT, SMITH, WILLIAMS
Hi Joyce,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply that provided me with the telephone number for the Washington County Register of deeds office. I hope to call them on Tuesday to see what I have to do to get a copy of three deeds.

My g.g.g. grandfather, John Anthony Alexander and many other Alexanders born in NC were picked up for the first time in the 1850 Federal Census of Marshall County, Alabama -- where descendants have lived for 9 generations. On the Internet at http://c-23.rootsweb.com/usgenweb/archives/nc/washington/dee... we found a deed (G 818 1834) where Anthony Alexander, Ephraim, William, Osters, Valentine, Mary, Nancy, Penelope, and Rebecca Alexander sold land in Washinton County, NC to Hezekiah Lewis on 20 Dec. 1834, Reg. 5 April 1837 Wit: ____ Lewis, Joshua Tarkenton before they moved on to Mecklenburg Co. NC and then on to Alabama. We believe that the Anthony shown in that deed is our John Anthony since all of the names provided in that mentioned deed entry are shown as 4 separate households in the Federal 1850 Census of Marshall County (if the Osters could have been Austin or Ostin). The only Alexander born in NC that was here in 1850 but was not mentioned in that deed was a Franklin Alexander who was married to a Mary. We believe that he was from another Alexander family in NC but was married to the daughter, Mary, shown in the deed for Anthony Alexander and his family members. We have no proof at this point of that belief.

Good Luck in your research on your Cherokee Ancestry! I hope you find your ancestors listed in the proper category of the referenced lists so that you can validate your purported Cherokee heritage passed down verbally by your family members. I hope to do the same thing although I have only purchased some books on the subject and have not actively pursued that Chrisman surname family from the Cherokee Indian standpoint. I do have an 88-year-old Chrisman cousin still living whose mind is good and who remembers being told personally by her mother and grandmother that William Riley Chrisman married the Cherokee Indian. She is the only daughter/child of "Tack" Chrisman, granddaughter of Joseph Alonzo "Joe" Chrisman (b.2 November 1857), great granddaughter of William Riley Chrisman (d.15 October 1882)!

Have a good day! Thanks again!

Doris Cooley Edmonds
256-582-2530

Alexander/Spruill Deeds for Washington County, NC

Posted: 4 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: ALEXANDER, SPRUILL
Hi Jean,

I apologize that the hyper link where I found the referenced document for the Alexander/Spruill Deeds won't pull up the document! Here is what I have to do this morning to go to that document. I hope it works for you! Also, getting to it this way may open up some references in Washington County, NC to which you have not gone in your research. It is "great" corresponding with you! Please take the following actions:

1. Enter either the full browser address http://www.rootsweb.com - or -- it usually will work by just entering the short address rootsweb. My 17-year-old senior in high school (my oldest grandchild, Adam Williams) showed me that shortcut. Taking the shortcut saves an awfully lot of typing and verification of exact, detailed addresses when you spend a lot of time on the Internet every day reaching Web Sites that are not connected from the existing page by hyper links. Once you reach that Web Site you can then usually much more easily use the hyper links to reach anything that they have available on the Internet. This address takes you to the basic Rootsweb Web Site.

2. Then enter under "Search by Keywords:" Alexander/Spruill Deeds and Washington County, NC -- and then click with your mouse on the blue box "Automated Keyword Search, Search Major Text Files." When it takes you to another Window, just click on "Continue." That takes you to a MetaSearch. It has entered your query into the Surname block of the Search capability. All you need to do is click with your mouse on the "Gen Seeker" hyper link (where it says it has found one such document). That takes you to the results of that "1 of 1" search result by "GenSeeker".

3. Now click on the hyper link topic for the one document "Washington County, NC Archives." That gives you the Washington County, NC Digital Library. The Web Site provides a section on Bibles, Cemeteries, Census, Deeds, etc. for Washington County, NC. Go to the "Deeds" section and click on the hyper link for Alexander/Spruill Deeds. That click should bring the referenced document to your screen and you can use your Find capability in your Edit Menu browser to enter any name or number search, e.g., Anthony Alexander or G 818 1834.

Please let me know if you still cannot reach the Alexander/Spruill Deeds document and I will pull the document/list to the screen and do a "Send Page" to forward the document to you. When that is done, it still retains "at the top of the document" the hyper link address that I initially gave you in my prior email -- but which would not pull the document up to the screen. Again, sorry it doesn't pull it up from that address!!

My husband and I have a Wedding Anniversary today. We have been married 46 years!! We are very thankful that God has been so good to us to allow us to live together for all these years, to have 3 wonderful, healthy children (2 boys and 1 girl) and to have 7 wonderful, healthy grandchildren (4 boys and 3 girls - with another one on the way and due next April). We look forward to many more good years together if God sees fit to continue our lives here on this Earth.

May God richly bless you and your family! Have a good day. I hope this works for you!

Doris
Posted: 4 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 15 May 2005 4:51PM GMT
Surnames: Alexander
Could you recheck the internet address you gave for the deed. I have tried several times to access it and the page cannot be displayed.

Jean

Cutler Family

Posted: 23 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jul 2003 12:48AM GMT
Surnames: Cutler, Reid, Sawyer, Harris, Bridgman
Pennelope Cutler, dau of John and Phenny Cutler married James Reid from Edinburgh Scotland and settled in Washington County North Carolina in 1870's. Her daughter Florence married John P. Harris II and they raised their family in Washington, North Carolina ine early 1900's. John Harris was descendant of Sawyers and Bridgmans of the surrounding area. ANyone with any information on these families would appreciate connecting.

Re: hide and seek-Pritchett

Travis Pritchett (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 2005 9:58PM GMT
Great-grandfather migrated from Tenn. to Stephens Co.
Oklahoma,1900. His father was named Thomas. His sister was married to a man named Bowen..Therman, and Edith.
Alot of Pritchett's in the Comanche Oklahoma area.cir.1900
Seymour Clinton(GREAT-GRANDFATHER)married Laura Williams.1905-06. Need help too !!!!

Thanks.

Travis Pritchett
per page

Find a board about a specific topic