Search for content in message boards

William Tandy's father

William Tandy's father

Posted: 3 Jan 2002 5:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 May 2002 3:49AM GMT
Surnames: Senter, Lisle, Meek, Vasbinder, Thompson, Waggener
I am from Henry Senter/Rebecca Avant. For some reason in my family stuff, I just ran across a photocopy of a will from William Tandy Senter and three family group sheets for him. I read on this board that his father was Stephen.

I am wondering where this line crosses mine? Was Stephen a brother of Henry or Henry's father??

Thanks for any info, Judy Senter

Re: William Tandy's father

Nancy Watkins (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2002 4:18PM GMT
Judy-
I have several William Senter, but do not have middle names for many of them. Can you give me more clues, such as any dates or who he married? This would help me know if I have records of him, or not.
Hope I can help and add to both of our information!

Nancy

Posted: 3 Jan 2002 4:37PM GMT
Edited: 23 Aug 2002 4:00AM GMT
Henry's father was Stephen and Henry had a brother William .
That could be William Tandy , I don't know, whats the birth date of This William ? I have never seen the Tandy line connected with Henry but I am far from an expert. I have always thought they would connect somewhere.

Michael

Posted: 18 Jan 2002 11:43AM GMT
Edited: 28 May 2003 1:16PM GMT
Be careful of the Stephen Senters. There were three in the VA/NC area about the same time.
Stephen the father of Henry and possibly William (who married Fereby) was in Johnston/Dodds/Cumberland NC 1760/s to 1800.
Stephen the father of William Tandy was born in the Bedford Co. VA area. He was in Henry Co./ Patrick Co. VA. and died in Grainger Co. TN
There was another Stephen - the son of James who died 1782 in Lincoln Co. NC.
I believe that all these southern Senters could have come from the Henrico VA area as there was a Stephen there 1700-1730. With all the record burning there may never be a way to prove it.

Judy Senter (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2002 1:25AM GMT
The info I have on him is: William Tandy Senter b. 1753. Married 3 times: Susan Lyon or Matson, Mary Ann Crumbliss, and Alice Crumbliss.
Wm. Tandy was born in VA and died in TN, Roane Co. He was buried in TN, Harriman. This info I obtained from a Family Group Sheet filled out by Lucile Prior of Atherton CA in 1971. She states the info came from the will of Tandy Senter and from marriage records.

Now I wonder, did he just go by "Tandy Senter" later in life, as there is no mention of "William Tandy Senter" in his will??? Good grief - is it a different person??

BTW, I have 9 William Senters in my file.

Judy

Judy Senter (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2002 1:28AM GMT
Birthdate of this Wm. Tandy Senter is 1753 in VA.
(see my other response of this day).

Judy

Judy Senter (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2002 1:44AM GMT
yikes. My head is swimming now!

In my chart, I have two Stephens, both Stephen Henry Senter.
One (1814-1893, born in VA, St. Clair's Bottom and buried in KY) had three wives and is the father of Andrew Franklin Senter (1839-1891) and a Henry (1880?). The other is Andrew's son. This Stephen married Rena Rakes Davis.

Now, who is Fereby? I don't have that name at all!

Judy

Posted: 10 Sep 2005 7:57PM GMT
My grandmother began researching Tandy Senter in an effort to become a member of the DAR. She was his great-granddaughter. Although I joined the DAR through another ancestor, I became involved researching Tandy about six years ago, and, with the help of a professional researcher working at the Heritage Quest Christmas Tour in Salt Lake City, found that his first name was William. His father is Stephen (b: about 1732 in Bedford County, VA; m: Susannah (b: about 1736 in VA); d: 1799 in Grainger, TN. Children: Mary (b: before 1754); Tabith (b: before 1759); William Tandy (b: June 1759/1761; Milton (b: abt 1768); Susannah (b: abt 1776); Stephen Willis (b: abt 1780; d: 1799 in Grainger Co., TN); Abner (b: abt 1787).

Stephen's father was another Henry, however, I have no further info but will be researching again in December on the Christmas Tour. My researcher is an expert in TN history and also in American Indian history. Tandy is rumored (newspaper article) to have been half Cherokee and we think that his mother Susannah (no last name) may be the Indian. I have a picture of Tandy and his third wife Alice Crumbliss that was accepted by my school district as an Indian ancestor to qualify them in counting me as an American Indian that had been hired. Funny? He definitely has Indian features. He was a Dragoon in William Washington's service when he was 17 years old, and I have a letter sent to my grandmother by her cousin teling of an experience when Tandy was showing him how he swung his sword over his head and told him how frightened he was when they rode into Cowpens. He was also involved in the battle at Yorktown.

Tandy is a fascinating man, and I have fully enjoyed researching him. There is more about the Senter name (which was originally Center) if you are interested. Feel free to contact me so that we can share whatever info we come across.

Judy

annlilbear2001 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2006 10:08PM GMT
Surnames: Senter-Center
Judy,do you have anything on Zack or Zachariah Senter?Anything on the Senter's from Va.or Surry Co.NC?I am stuck on Zachariah.I believe he connects to Tandy as Well,and Stephen Senter.Waiting for a response.

Posted: 20 Mar 2008 6:25PM GMT
I know this is an old thread, but if you would like, I have pictures of the grave sites for William Tandy Senter, Sr, William Tandy Senter Jr., DeWitt Clinton Senter(reconstruction Governer of TN), and some other Senters(13 of my relatives). I am a great-great-great- grandaughter of William Tany Senter, Jr. Most are buried in the Senter Memorial Cemetary, located in Morristown, TN. The land for the cemetary and church was donated by the Senters and was the original site of Panter Springs Methodist Church, which was built with money donated by the family. Panther Springs Methodist Church has relocated and the land is now occupied by another church. I live about 200 yards from the cemetary. I was born and raised in Morristown and my family still owns some of the land that was part of the original Senter farm which has occupied the land for about 6 or 7 generations. Lots of Senter history in Morristown, (Hamblen County) TN. If you are interested in viewing the pictures, just let me know and I will email/mail them to anyone who is interested. Martha Miller
per page

Find a board about a specific topic