John M. Gambrel born 7 June 1853 Bell Co. KY. married
Susan Ann Hurley in Bell Co. KY. 1872. Any information
would be appreciated. Would like to know John's parents
names and any siblings.
Posted: 22 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Feb 2004 3:52AM GMT
Surnames: GAMBREL
Then, according to your dates, Vienna is from a different marriage? Susan was married before?

John GAMBREL

Posted: 22 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jul 2001 6:09PM GMT
Surnames: Gambrel, Gambrell, Mills, Woolum, Woodward, Ferguson, Miller
I have a John Gambrel born 1853 to Daniel King GAMBREL and Elizabeth BRACKETT Gambrel. This is from the 1860 Knox County Census. In the 1880 Bell County Census John is listed with wife Sauson (Susan), and children Vienna age 13, Daniel age 4, and Silvester age 2.
Daniel King Gambrel is the son of John GAMBREL , born abt 1781 in N Carolina. This John came into KY in the very early 1800's. He was married at least 2 times and was the father of at least 9 sons and 4 daughters.
This is my family also. I go back to the John GAMBREL of 1781 3 different ways.
I would enjoy corresponding with you about this family.
Brenda

John M. Gambrel Family

Posted: 25 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 Dec 2002 4:09AM GMT
Surnames: Gambrel, Hurley
Brenda-
Thank you for your response.
My inclination is to agree with you about Daniel King Gambrel. One listing from the Net, Margaret's Page, list
John Gambrel 178l North Carolina and children:
1. Garett
2. Isham
3. William
4. Harland
5. Franklin
6. Thomas Gordon
7. Martin
8. Daniel
9. Thomas
10. Martha
11. Esther
12. Susan
Do you agree with this information?

1850 Clay Co. KY Census list Daniel's brother, Isham Gambrel
with his children:
1. Gardin
2. Burrel
3. Anderson
My grandfather's name was James Burrel Gambrel.

Is Daniel King Gambrel, the Daniel Gambrel who served in the
Union Army during the Civil War?

Do you know what the "M" stands for?
Are birth certificates available?

Our family has a Vina or Viney this maybe Vienna. She maybe
Susan's daughter, because of dates. John & Susan married Bell Co. Ky. 1872.
Susan's father is Wilson
Hurley, who moved to Flatlick, Ky. in 1860.
Waiting to hear from you, GLG

John GAMBRELL

Posted: 28 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jul 2001 6:09PM GMT
Surnames: Gambrel, Gambrell, Woodward, Woolum, Ferguson, Mills, Miller
All the children listed are family of John GAMBREL who was born abt 1781 in NC. I have no idea what the letter M stands for as we seem to be short in names like Michael, Matthew, Mitchel etc...
Daniel King did serve in the Union Army I have his pension records. I think you are right about Vienna (Viney, Vina). SHe must have been from another marriage.
The Bell County list is a great place to ask for help. We have a lot of family here.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Brenda in Lenoir City TN

Re: John M. Gambrel Family

Posted: 24 Jun 2001 4:25PM GMT
Hi,

Does anyone have info of the children John and Susan Hurley Gambrel or places where the couple lived & died? I am researching the children of Wilson and Eliza Templeton Hurley. Susan b. abt 1845 is thier child. I once saw a query that she was born in Knoxville, Knox Co, TN but never could verify it, nor received a response from the requestor.

Any help on this Gambrel/Hurley union would be most appreciated.

Lee

Posted: 27 Jun 2001 2:59PM GMT
Edited: 11 Feb 2004 3:52AM GMT
Surnames: GAMBREL, HURLEY
WELL, I FINALLY FOUND THIS. I TRIED COPYING AND PASTING THE URL AND IT WOULDN'T TAKE ME HERE. THEN I TRIED A SEARCH AND THE SEARCH ENGINE MUST BE CASE SENSITIVE BECAUSE IT COULDN'T FIND THIS.
ANYWAY:
FROM THE 1880 BELL COUNTY CENSUS, ED 7 SHEET 7:
JOHN GAMBREL 25 (BORN KY)
SOUSON 30 (BORN TN AS WERE BOTH PARENTS)
VIENNA 13
DANIEL 4
SILVESTER 2

SOMEWHERE I GOT THE INFO THAT THEY WERE MARRIED IN 1872 BUT THEN THAT WAS WELL AFTER VIENNA WAS BORN. (I WILL FIND THAT AND POST ANOTHER RESPONSE)

I CHECKED THE 1870 CENSUS AND COULD NOT FIND THEM. I ALSO CHECKED THE 1900 SOUNDEX AND NONE WERE LISTED, NOT EVEN DANIEL OR SILVESTER. I CAN CHECK THE TN CENSUS NEXT WEEK IF YOU'D LIKE.

Posted: 1 Jul 2001 1:09PM GMT
Surnames: Hurley, Gambrel
Sue,

Thank you very much. I have Susan's and John's marriage date as 1872, per transcribed marriage record publications.So, it is not clear whose biological parent Vienna is. I will check the 1870 census and see if Susan is single. Vienna should be listed her if she is Susan's child or with John if his.

'Will report back what I find.

Lee

Brenda Gambrel Hatcher (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jul 2001 1:13AM GMT
The 1880 Bell County census shows John as being 25 and Sauson (Susan) as being 30, Vienna is 13. Sorta looks like Vienna could have a different father other than John since he would have been only 12 when she was born.
The 1900 census does not list a John married to a Susan.....where did they go or did John have a different wife then...there are several John's listed in the 1900 census one of which was 40 years old married to a 19 year old.........
Brenda in Tennessee

Posted: 24 Jul 2001 1:35AM GMT
Hello,

I could not find Susan or the rest of her family in the1870 Knox Co Census. It is odd, as there are quite a few others of my general ancestry missing from that Census too. 'Not sure if it was part of the disruption of the Civil War or confusion with the establishment of Bell Co in 1867.

Anyway, sometime before 1890, Susan and John moved to Keokuk, Lee Co, Iowa and lived their lives out there.

Lee
per page

Find a board about a specific topic