Search for content in message boards

Nickname Help

Nickname Help

Posted: 5 Jun 2012 10:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nickname - Sells
I looked for an appropriate board to post this, but this was all I found. Looking for some help with a given name that I believe is a nickname. The name is "Sells Wilson." Does anyone have information about a possible formal given name that is associated with a nickname of "Sells?"

Re: Nickname Help

Posted: 12 Jun 2012 9:29PM GMT
Surnames: Wilson
At https://familysearch.org I keyed in the name Sells as a first name to see what possible names might come up and didn't really see any other full first names it might be associated with. You might find something. It appears to be a surname given as a first name which happens in some families - or it becomes popular in a certain region and then perhaps it may spread to other areas.

(I also keyed in Sells Wilson; did not click "exact search", to find other possible names).

Posted: 14 Jun 2012 12:36PM GMT
Thanks for the response. Found it - Sells is the "nickname" for Sella. In this case, Sella is a male name.

Posted: 14 Jun 2012 6:00PM GMT
Sella? I'll have to look that up. That is new to me. Good for you for finding out the answer re. Sells!

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 2:54AM GMT
The more I think about it, I don't think Sells was a nickname at all. It was typed on a death cert. I now wonder if it was a typo since the letters are next to each other. Oh well, mystery solved!

Re:Help, please, with female nicknames.

Posted: 29 Aug 2012 1:45AM GMT
I,too,need help with a particular name that I have seen in the past as a nickname. However, I am drawing a total blank in remembering the real name. I know Polly is for Mary; Peg, Peggy or Meg is for Margaret; Patsy for Martha; Lolly for Laura, etc. However,I am stuck on the name Cyrena/Serena/Sirena. Does anyone associate one of these spellings used as a nickname with a particular name?
I have a female using this name in two key transactions and am wondering if she had used her real name in other settings. I have no clue what the real name was. I do appreciate your reading my query and hope someone can help me.

Re:Help, please, with female nicknames.

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 2:57AM GMT
The names you are asking about are not necessarily nicknames, although they could be. They look like female names, coming from the word "Serene". They may also come from words in other languages, or just be made-up spellings. (Serena Williams is a famous tennis player.)
My grandmother was born in Hungary--her name in Hungarian was Szeren (pronounced Se-rain). This was a popular name in Hungary in the 19th century,although I understand it is rare today. When she came to America, Grandma changed her name to Sarah, because it was easier for Americans to pronounce. By the way, I never heard that Patsy was a nickname for Martha--it doesn't seem to be related. (My legal name is Patricia, but as a child I was called Patsy--I no longer use that nickname, prefering Pat instead.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic