Search for content in message boards

Davenport/Burnley

Davenport/Burnley

Posted: 28 Jun 2008 2:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davenport Burnley Barksdale
The decendents of John Davenport, son of Martin of Hanover Cnty VA are desperately seeking decendents of Jack Smith Davenport and Lucy Barksdale (later Burnley) to help solve a family mystery.

Jack Smith Davenport was born around 1745 in Hanover Cnty VA. He married Lucy Barksdale in 1772 and died in April, 1781, shortly after being wounded at the Battle of Guilford Courthouse in NC. We believe that Lucy and Jack had several children, 3 of them boys: Jack Smith (John) Jr, William, and Richard. Lucy remarried; his name was Henry Burnley. This was sometime in 1782. We believe that the whole family moved to Hancock Cnty, GA shortly thereafter.

So, we are looking for decendents of Davenports, or perhaps Burnleys from Hancock Cnty GA in the late 1700s or early 1800s. My understanding is that the Davenport DNA project does have some scholarship money to help with the cost of DNA testing for qualified decendents, but don't hold me to it.

You can contact the Davenport DNA project directly or reply to in this thread and I will try to connect you.

Mark Davenport

Re: Davenport/Burnley

Posted: 22 Jan 2009 7:16PM GMT
Hello Mr. Davenport, I was wondering if I could get the info o the DNA testing ? My grandmother is a Davenport. I have several cousins that come from an unbroken line of Davenport from Charles. We desend from a mulatto Davenport named Charles Davenport. He was half black half white, John Davenport was his father. He was owned by John Davenport that married Nnacy Davis. His wife Chaney Davenport was a slave of William Davis , Nancy Davenport dad. When William died he gave Chaney, her sister, and her mother to John Davenport spouse of Nancy Davenport (Davis). I have church records from when Charles, Chaney, John, and Nnacy joined Mountain Creek Baptist church in Harris county GA. I know also that John Davenport is related to Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemmings. Charles and Chaney were the only two slaves aloud to join the Church. John Davenport showed favortism to Charles and Chaney because he was his wife. He also named them first on the will to be given to Nancy. I would be glad for my cousins to take the test to answer your question.

Posted: 22 Jan 2009 7:54PM GMT
Hey!

First, go to theDavenportDNA project site and read up on the project and the lines. To do that, go here:

http://www.davenportdna.com/

From that site, you can go directly to the DNA testing site. Or, you can go here:

https://www.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?code=P86719&am...

I just did a cusory review of the published Pamunkey literature and I am not sure your line is represented yet. If this is so, WE NEED YOU!

Look forward to seeing you in the project!

Mark

Posted: 22 Jan 2009 11:26PM GMT
I looked at the prices is the project free, like are the DNA test free ? Is there a way we can get the test for free? I was wondering could you email me so I could send you info on my Davenports ? My email iskingskid91@yahoo.com

Posted: 16 Aug 2009 4:36AM GMT
Surnames: BURNLEY
This post was deleted by the author on 12 Dec 2012 9:33PM GMT

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 9:27PM GMT
note email change from bellsouth.net to LBLYNN@windstream.net effective 2010
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions