Search for content in message boards

Lower Path Presbyterian

JONES burial

Michael Jones (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: JONES
I am interested in any old records. In particular, I am interested in the burial of John A. Jones, Sr. (1729-1840. Two of his sons are buried in Lower Path and it was founded in the late 1700's I think. One person said it was thought he was buried in Huntington Co. but where son James was buried but I have not found anything else.

If I wrote Kittochtinny would they copy the cemetery records and send them? I have a copy of Lower Path but it does not include John A., Sr.

Presbyterian Churches in Path Valley

Carol;yn K. Shearer (View posts)
Upper and Lower Path Valley Presbyterian Churches are both still in existance. Upper is at Spring Run in Fannett Township and Lower is in Fannettsburg in Metal Township. They each have a graveyard, both of which were copied during the 1930's by the local chapter of the DAR. I understand that they were both recopied at a later date. I think Kittochtinny Historical Society has those records.

The congregation was organized in 1766 but no records exist that early. I have a history of both churches, but the dates are very vague. Apparently, about 1769, the Presbytry of Donegal authorized a church to be built near Dry Run, but the congregation meeting near Fannettsburg finished their building in 1774. No date is given for the current building at Spring Run, but it is old. Note: there are also Presbyterian churchs in Amberson and Burnt Cabins. These were often supplied by the same ministers.

The marriages on the Franklin County site by Rev. David Denny are for both churches. I have the published records for Lower Path Valley which begin c 1851 (very spotty in the early years).

Lower Path Presbyterian

Michael Jones (View posts)
Surnames: JONES, KEEFER, KILLIAN, GLASS, MURRAY, CARLIN, LOCKE
I am trying to find a source for records at Path Valley Presyterian Church. Many of my ancestors are buried at Lower Path Valley. I understand the "Lower" and "Upper" churches combined at the "Upper" church.

Does anyone know a number or person I can talk to about any old records in existence.

Thanks

Jones' buried in Fannett Twp.

Posted: 11 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jul 2001 2:16AM GMT
Surnames: Jones
Sorry for not seeing your posting earlier on Jones in Franklin Co., PA. I have a copy of the Book- TOMBSTONE INSCRIPTIONS FRANKLIN CO., PA, volume 6, Fannett Township.
Union Church Cemetery, Amberson:
Jones, Nannie May 1890 1890

Willie R. 1891 1913

J. Hazel 1899 1915
Lower Path Valley Cemetery,
Section A

Jones, Anna Mae 1933 1985 (Agett Funeral Marker
Section B

Jones, R. G. (Fa.) 1847 1919

Jones, Agnes A. (Mo.) 1852 1933

Jones, Robert Dale, son 1891 1918

Jones, Roy E. 1883 1958

Stella J. 1888 1974

Infant son 1929
Section E

Jones, A. Frank 1852 1930

Margaret C., wife 1863 1939
Upper Path Valley, Spring Run
Memorial with list of men who served in different wars.
John Jones and Juell Jones and William Jones are listed as serving in the Spanish American War.

I have more listed under Volume 15, Metal Township.

Upper and Lower Path Valley Presbyterian Churchs

Posted: 16 Aug 2001 12:17AM GMT
Edited: 13 Oct 2003 12:58AM GMT
The Upper (Spring Run) and Lower (Fannettsburg) Path Valley Presbyterian are two separate churchs which, until 1851, were served by one pastor, Rev Amos McGinley. McGinley was there for over 40 years in the first half of the nineteenth century and before him Dr. King. Both King's and McGinley's marriages are posted on the Franklin County genweb site. They are the only early records available at this time. Note: Although no description of the records ever mentions it , it would appear that Rev McGinley also served the Presbyterian Church at Burnt Cabins in Fulton County. Several of the marriages in the records are for people who lived along the Fulton-Huntingdon County line near Burnt Cabins. The Burnt Cabins church is still supplied by the Lower Path Valley minister.
There once were earlier records for at least Lower Path Valley. They are supposedly at the PA State Archives but I could not find them when I visited there. Rev. Ted Hale, the minister of the Lower Church, believes the church once had a microfilm copy of the early records but he does not know the current location. He has promised to try to find them. If he does while I can still see to type, I will transcribe them.
I have the published records of Lower Path Valley, transcribed by Miriam and Harold Park, which begin about 1851. Will do a lookup if you have a particular name.
Kittochtinny Historical Society has a few records for Upper Path Valley beginning about the same time period. They are mainly list of members with notes about dates received and dismissed. They also have the transcriptions of both the Lower and Upper graveyards.

Re: Lower Path Presbyterian

Posted: 6 Feb 2002 11:16PM GMT
Edited: 7 Feb 2002 3:02PM GMT
I see your surnames include Murray and Carlin. Would this be James V Carlin (1879-1963), who married Anna Murray (1884-1962) after his first wife, Sarah Wilson Carlin died? I'm trying to trace Anna's daughter, Kathryn Rebecca Murray and her offspring - she was married to my husband's uncle.
Leslie Cahn

Re: Lower Path Presbyterian

Posted: 6 Feb 2002 11:50PM GMT
Right bunch but I do not know very much. I only had Catherine Murray and she married an Unknown Conn. E_mail me at mikej1957@mindspring.com and I will send what I have. Catherine's mother was Anna Grace Jones, sister of my g granfdfather. She first married John Murray who was killed in a trainyard. They had two children - Catherine (Katherine Rebecca) married Unknown Conn. Fred married Isabelle Rollins who is still living or was about a year or so ago. She is in the big nursing home in Chambersburg. A little confused but a sweet lady. I am sure she could help you. She has two children who I assume are still living.

I see your surnames include Murray and Carlin. Would this be James V Carlin (1879-1963), who married Anna Murray (1884-1962) after his first wife, Sarah Wilson Carlin died? I'm trying to trace Anna's daughter, Kathryn Rebecca Murray and her offspring - she was married to my husband's uncle.
Leslie Cahn

Re: Jones' buried in Fannett Twp.

Mike Jones (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 2003 12:14AM GMT
I just ran across this again and I am interested in any Joneses you show in Metal township
per page

Find a board about a specific topic