Search for content in message boards

Family History of Philipiak and Hudema

Family History of Philipiak and Hudema

Posted: 16 Sep 2002 1:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Jan 2003 7:32PM GMT
Surnames: Philipiak (approximate spelling) and Hudema
Looking for family history of Eli Philipiak and Mary Hudema. They went to Canada in early 1900s, married and raised a family. Looking for ancestors/relatives in Ukraine or other parts of the world.

Re: Family History of Philipiak and Hudema

Philipiak (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2003 1:47PM GMT
Surnames: Jacek
Our family comes from Silesia / Poland living in Germany now. My grandfather - Alfred Philipiak - has been missed at the East front (Russia, Ukraina) in the 2. World War as German soldier and did not come back.
Maybe there is any connection.
Please advice.

Alix Nalezinski (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jan 2003 1:06AM GMT
Surnames: Philipiak, Hudema
My grandparents (Elijah and Mary Philipiak) settled in Shell Valley, Manitoba. My aunts were born there. My granparents first arrived in Montreal and then travelled to Manitoba. My g-mother was from Czernowitz, Bukovina. My g-father was from Cehar (approximate spelling) in Austria. I don't know of any relatives there as that is what I am trying to determine.

Hudema Mihai (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 2003 5:04PM GMT
I was born in Suceava County - Romania). This used to be part of Bucovina. As my parents told me, my Grand-Grand Father came somewhere from Poland (not sure about that) and settle down in Suceava sometimes after 1850, his name was Hudema Vasile. In the willage I was born (Sadau) there are few families having the same name: Hudema and it looks like we all are having the same ancestor. I've been trying many times to find out more details about my GG Father (exactly the location he came from, if he had any brother or sisters, etc) but I couldn't find anything by now. During September this year I'll take a vacation and visit again the village I was born and try to get in touch with people to find more details.

Posted: 21 Oct 2003 3:04PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jun 2005 10:42PM GMT
I was told by my father (I live in Ontario, Canada) that the name Hudema means "hornblower". There was a TV program called "Horatio Hornblower" and I think this character was Dutch. I never watched an entire episode. Can someone tell me if Horatio was Dutch and if Hudema does mean "hornblower"?

Posted: 21 Oct 2003 3:08PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jun 2005 10:42PM GMT
Surnames: Hudema
Mihai,

Do you mean "Wasyl" Hudema, maybe?

Andreas Hudema (View posts)
Posted: 21 Oct 2003 4:13PM GMT
Surnames: Hudema
Hi Alix,
as I know that the name Hudema is not so popular - I am not sure if we have the same relatives. My father studied in Wienna (Austria). He was born in Rumania and died in Bremen (Germany). I know that some family members lived in Wienna - but still not know if they are alive. As I see, there might be some Hudema´s in Canada.
I hope this might help you for your search.
Kind regards (from Germany - Munich)
Andreas Hudema

Alix Nalezinski (View posts)
Posted: 25 Oct 2003 12:23AM GMT
Hello Andreas,

Thanks for the reply. My grandparents are from Bukovina. At the time that they were born, it was a part of the Austrian empire. Then it went to Rumania after World War I. After World War 2, it became a part of the Ukraine. My grandparents were of Ukranian descent, but also spoke German. They left for Canada before World War 1. I know that my grandmother's mother was named Sandra. I don't know here maiden name.

Posted: 26 Apr 2004 3:46PM GMT
Edited: 9 Oct 2004 7:19PM GMT
Hi, my family name is Hornblower and the Hornblower family tree has been traced back to 1571 Kidderminster. A branch of the family certainly emmigrated to Canada but unfortunately, I know very little of them. All I know is that they would have certainly been related to the Engineering Hornblower family of Cornwall. This family had thirteen children all with christian names beginning with the letter 'J' Jabez, Jemima, Jethro etc. There was a very protracted legal case over the patent of the steam engine with Boulton and Watt which they lost. This, coupled with the decline in the mining industry caused many of the family to up sticks and scatter. Most to America (where one took the very first steam engine but didn't come back to England because he suffered terribly from sea sickness), some to Canada and some to Australia.
Those who went to America seem to have taken up professions in the Law and did very well. (Maybe this was as a consequence of the aforementioned legal case?)
I am trying to collect as much information on my family name as possible and was most interested to hear of the Hudema/Hornblower connection, was there much in the way of mining in this area?
There is also a collection of Hornblower novels written by CS Forester which was in turn made into a television series. But these, as far as I can determine, are fiction. Although there are a number of Horatio Hornblowers in the family tree and most Hornblowers that I know of are all poor sea travellers.
I hope this helps and if you know anything more of the Hudema/Hornblower connection will share this with me.

Posted: 15 Jan 2006 8:32PM GMT
Hi Lynval, My great great great Grandfather
Josiah Hornblower was born in 1796 in Cornwall and he married a local girl Jane ? who was also born in Cornwall in 1799. They had relocated to London by 1829 when their first child was born. Josiah occupation is given as 'Engineer' in 1851 so I am assuming at present that he is in some way connected to the Hornblower engineering families circa 1770. You mention in your posting of ancestry links dating back to 1500's? Are you able to assist me in identifying if Josiah b. 1796 is mentioned as part of that family tree. Would appreciate any help. Tks Mike
per page

Find a board about a specific topic