Search for content in message boards

Artis

Artis

Melody Marshburn (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Artis
Looking for people that have the last name Artis. If oyu have any information as to any person or persons having
this last name please contact asap!!!
Posted: 7 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jul 2002 3:47AM GMT
Surnames: Artis, Bassett, Goldsboro, Andrews
Any information on any of these relatives would be appreciated.
Ruffin Artis
Edith Bassett, Lena Bassett
William Goldsboro
Ernest Andrews and Mamie Faison or Fason
Posted: 17 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 18 Aug 2002 12:23AM GMT
Surnames: Artis
Melody:
I'm helping my kids research their history. Their Grandmother was born Lucille Artis. She had a sister Grace & a brother Bill. Her parents died in a house fire when she was extremely young. She doesn't remember very much about them. She thinks she was born somewhere in the southeast US. I don't know it it was Johnston county, but it may have been one of the Carolinas. She is currently in her late 80s and living in Dallas Tx. She grew up in an orphanage in Tx. Is it possible she might be a relative of yours?
I realize this is an old posting, but we're trying to find some clue to her history and Artis isn't a real common name.
Thank you
Posted: 21 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jun 2002 6:05PM GMT
Surnames: Artis, Wilkerson, Jenross or, Jenroth
Hi Melody,

My maiden name is Artis. My father's name was Raymond and my mother Ada. My grandfather's name was Preston and grandmother's Elizabeth.

Re: Artis

Posted: 5 Jun 2002 5:54PM GMT
Surnames: Andrews, Artis, Everitt or Everett, Bassett, Goldsboro, Handy, Watson,
Hi Brenda,
My father's name was Edward Artis (Lawnside, NJ) and his father Roger is from Johnston County, NC., in a town called Smithfield. Last year I had the chance to visit Smithfield. I visited the Heritage center and found there are many Artis's to be found in this area. I found my grandparents on the 1900 census. Do you live near any of the National Archives? Do you know where your father is family is from? Please email me back. Thanks for reading!
Juanita

Posted: 5 Jun 2002 5:56PM GMT
Surnames: Andrews, Artis, Everitt or Everett, Bassett, Goldsboro, Handy, Watson,
Hi Brenda,
My father's name was Edward Artis (Lawnside, NJ) and his father Roger is from Johnston County, NC., in a town called Smithfield. Last year I had the chance to visit Smithfield. I visited the Heritage center and found there are many Artis's to be found in this area. I found my grandparents on the 1900 census. Do you live near any of the National Archives? I live in Phila. PA and we have one here at 9th and Chestnut St. Do you know where your father's family is from? Please email me back. Thanks for reading!
Juanita

Posted: 6 Jun 2002 4:02PM GMT
Thank you for your reply Juanita. Since I left this message I've found that a cousin (whom I do not yet know) did a family tree on us. The earliest relative known was a woman by the name of Julia A. Artis. Born in or around Wilmington, NC in 1825. If you want more information, let me know.

Posted: 6 Jun 2002 5:17PM GMT
Hi Brenda,

Thank you for responding. I am so glad to hear about your good news, and I hope you get to meet with your new found cousin soon. I would really like it if you could sent me some information (Family Tree) on the Artis's family. Some of my Artis's might be among your Artis's. Ruffin and Pharby (Phoebe) Everitt Artis are my greatgrand parents. Looking to hear from you soon.

Juanita
Posted: 30 Jul 2012 12:02AM GMT
Hello to any family members or friends who may be able to assist me with my research. I recently lost my great- grandmother (Mary Langston) on july 21st and i realized just how little I knew about my family backround. I see that more than a few of us have choosen over the the past ten years to shake the family tree and see what falls off. My great-grandmother hails from Smithfield, NC and was the daughter of Ruffin Artis and Phoebe(Everitt)Artis and sister to Roger, David,Minnie,Lily,John and James all whom she preceded in death at 101 years old. If there is anyone who has done some legwork and can give me some history regarding my great-great grandparents I would greatly appreciate it. Jerome

Posted: 31 Jul 2012 8:58AM GMT
I'm not a member of your family, but I would like to try and help you with researching your Artis family. There is someone on this list who has a family tree at Ancestry.com, titled Andrews Family Tree (owner: Juanita Gransby) - there are some photos on their family tree.

I just found your Artis family in the 1910 NC Census:

Internet: Ancestry.com - 1910 NC Census - Upper Boon Hill Precinct, Johnston Co/ED 41/Supv Dist 4/sh 7A/April 26, 1910:

Artis, Ruffin - 39 Head/B/M/Marriage1 - 13 yrs/POB NC/Parents POB NC/Farmer/Can read & write
Pharby - 29 Wife/B/F/Marriage1 - 13 yrs/POB NC/Parents POB NC/Farm Laborer/Can read
& write
John D. - 12 Son/B/M/POB NC/Farm laborer - Home farm/Can read & write
James C. - 10 Son/B/M/POB NC/Farm laborer - Home farm/Can read & write
Rogers - 9 Son/B/M/POB NC
Minny - 7 Dau/B/F/POB NC
Lily - 5 Dau/B/F/POB NC
David - 4 Son/B/M/POB NC
Ruffin, Jr. - 1 5/12 Son/B/M/POB NC
Atkinson, Mary - 56 Mother-in-law/B/F/Divorced/POB NC/Parents POB NC/Cannot read or write
Everit, Edd - 18 Uncle/B/M/Single/POB NC/Parents POB NC/Laborer - Saw Mill/Can read & write
Joseph - 15 Uncle/B/M/POB NC/Parents POB NC/Farm labor - Home farm/Can read & write
Elijah - 12 Uncle/B/M/POB NC/Parents POB NC/Farm labor - Home farm/Can read & write
Tillman, Will - 35 Border/B/M/Divorced/POB NC/Parents POB NC/Farm labor - working out/Cannot \
read or write

Diane Pollard Keiser
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions