Search for content in message boards

Where did the Jeffers come from?

Where did the Jeffers come from?

Tessa Jeffers (View posts)
Posted: 3 Oct 2000 3:02PM GMT
Hi I'm Tessa Jeffers from the Virgin Islands, daughter to Ashton Jeffers of St.kitts who is the son to Dafney Jeffers who is the daughter to the late Time Jeffers. And I guess I want to know is where did the Jeffers come from and if we were ever in Slavery.

Jeffers

JOHN JEFFERS (View posts)
Posted: 20 Oct 2000 9:27PM GMT
Jeffers name originates in England.

Followers of Oliver Cromwell took the name to Ireland in the mid-15century and it proliferated there.
A very large number of Jeffers decendants in America stem from a branch created by William Jeffers from Southwark London, he had over 12 children, in 1700'S.
hOPE THIS HELPS, There are lots of Jeffers in Galway, Ireland and Armagh Ireland

John Jeffers

Allen Jess (View posts)
Posted: 11 Dec 2000 8:34PM GMT
Do you have any information of John Jeffers of Rhode Island who settled in Newport, NS; then Falmouth, NS; and then on to Parrsboro, NS?
John Jeffers married Elizabeth Jess of Falmouth, NS in 1761 ca.

Jeffers family in America

Posted: 1 Jan 2001 11:25AM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2002 3:50AM GMT
John, My family of Jeffers came to America, Virgina, in 1640-1642. Three brothers and a sister. They setteled in upper Norfolk Co. and the family now is scattered all across the states. Would you know what was the main trade that these Jeffers practiced? Any help would be appreicated.

AND THEN SOME

ANDREW JEFFERS (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2001 4:10PM GMT
IM NOT SURE BUT THERE SEEMS TO BE A BLACK AND A WHITE SIDE OF THE JEFFERS NAME!IM CHEROKEE INDIAN AND FRENCH.SOME CASES I THINK PERHAPS JEFFERS WAS A TAKEN NAME FOR INDIANS COMMING OFF THE RESERVATION IN N.C. ABOUT 1850S I FOUND A EMMA JANE ADOPTED FROM 1884 FROM MY AREA THAT WAS NATIVE AND GIVEN THE NAME JEFFERS

Re: Where did the Jeffers come from?

Jan Payne (View posts)
Posted: 25 Feb 2002 1:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am from England and on July 7th 1863 my great great grandfather Henry Jeffers married Lucy Beresford at Lambeth (now a London borough).. They had a daughter Lucy Mary Ann Jeffers on December 28th (!!). We believe that the Beresfords were a very wealthy family (lords), and there was a family rift because of the 'early' birth.
I have no idea whether Henry is a relative but good luck in your search.

Re: John Jeffers

Posted: 28 Mar 2003 12:19PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2003 7:17PM GMT
This is also the line that I am researching. Their daughter, Hannah, married a Rogers, also a New England Planter. Please email.

Re: Jeffers

Andrew (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 2004 5:12AM GMT
Hi John

Do you know much about the jeffers in Amargh?

My family is from portadown. I am an aussie but my grandfather came to australia in 1922.

Re: Jeffers family in America

Posted: 6 Aug 2009 5:26PM GMT
My Jeffers line also settled in Virginia in the early 1600s. Please email me at pjack202@yahoo.com

Re: Jeffers from the Irish side

Posted: 15 Aug 2009 3:27AM GMT

Kia Ora from New Zealand - I hope 'this mail gets through' as I note your post is dated 2002.

I am a Jeffers. Daughter of Hubert Haynes Jeffers, son of Earnest Haynes jeffers. H H Jeffers born 1901.
E H Jefers born 1872.

I am hoping to ascertain the rest of the Jeffers, as in my G grandfather is hopefully a Richard Jeffers born in Ireland abt. 1834 - 1835. I have asked for records from GRO in UK.

I have been looking for nearly 5 years and drawn a blank - brick wall at almost every turn. I hit paydirt though a few weeks back through the 1881 UK census.

I know my Great-Grandfather jeffers was born in a lovely Georgian Mansion in innishannon, County Cork. The house was built by my G G Grandfather, R H Jeffers who died in 1845. A Mrs R H Jeffers lived there during the Famine and I am assuming my G Grandfather was this Richard jeffers. It may be that there are other sons. I do not know.

The only other photograph I have is of three boys / men in a "two up two down" terraced house in the East end of London. I wish I knew what had happened to them.

Please feel free to contact me at philippajfield@xtra.co.nz if this is of any interest. I have lots (tooo many) of photographs of the UK Jeffers family.

I changed my name from Winifred to Philippa many years ago. I don't think I need to expalin.

Haeare Ra (farewell)

Philippa [aka Winifred Jeffers]
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions