Search for content in message boards

Rodd Family

Rodd Family

Posted: 8 Oct 2008 4:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rodd
She:kon,
According to family stories, my grandfather's, David Rodd, family moved to NY from Canada sometime in the early 1900s. I never knew my grandfather, but family oral tradition indicates that he was Kanien'kehaka. I would like to know if there is any way to find out where in Canada the Rodd family came from.
Nia:wen,
Terry McCollough

Re: Rodd Family

Posted: 6 Mar 2009 5:36AM GMT
I do know that Rodd, also spelled Rhodd, is a Potowatomie name, and that some bands of Potowatomie were in Canada. Rhodd is a family name amongst the Citizen's Band of Potowatomie in Oklahoma. You might find it helpful to contact the tribal office of theirs for further information.

Re: Rodd Family

Posted: 6 Mar 2009 12:20PM GMT
Teresa,
Thank you for responding. I will follow your suggestion.
Terry

Albert Rodd (Indigneous--most likely Mohawk) Sarnia, Lambert, Ontario 1881 Canadian Census

Posted: 21 Jul 2010 6:34PM GMT

David's Parentage (1850 US Census)

Posted: 21 Jul 2010 6:36PM GMT
1850 United States Federal Census
about Joseph Rodd
Name: Joseph Rodd
Estimated birth year: abt 1813
Birth Place: Canada
Home in 1850 (City,County,State): Whitehall, Washington, New York
Family Number: 621
Household Members: Name Age
Joseph Rodd 37
Marrilla Rodd 38
David Rodd 10

View
Original
Record

View original image
View blank form

Source Citation: Year: 1850; Census Place: Whitehall, Washington, New York; Roll M432_610; Page: 37A; Image: 349.

Source Information:

Ancestry.com. 1850 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.
Original data: Seventh Census of the United States, 1850; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M432, 1009 rolls); Records of the Bureau of the Census, Record Group 29; National Archives, Washington, D.C.

Description:
This database is an index to individuals enumerated in the 1850 United States Federal Census, the Seventh Census of the United States. Census takers recorded many details including each person's name, age as of the census day, sex, color; birthplace, occupation of males over age fifteen, and more. No relationships were shown between members of a household. Additionally, the names of those listed on the population schedule are linked to actual images of the 1850 Federal Census. Learn more...
Page Tools

Report Image Problem
View printer-friendly
1850 United States Federal Census
about Joseph Rodd
Name: Joseph Rodd
Estimated birth year: abt 1813
Birth Place: Canada
Home in 1850 (City,County,State): Whitehall, Washington, New York
Family Number: 621
Joseph Rodd 37
Marrilla Rodd 38
David Rodd 10

View
Original
Record

View original image
View blank form

Source Citation: Year: 1850; Census Place: Whitehall, Washington, New York; Roll M432_610; Page: 37A; Image: 349.

Source Information:

Ancestry.com. 1850 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.
Original data: Seventh Census of the United States, 1850; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M432, 1009 rolls); Records of the Bureau of the Census, Record Group 29; National Archives, Washington, D.C.

Description:
This database is an index to individuals enumerated in the 1850 United States Federal Census, the Seventh Census of the United States. Census takers recorded many details including each person's name, age as of the census day, sex, color; birthplace, occupation of males over age fifteen, and more. No relationships were shown between members of a household. Additionally, the names of those listed on the population schedule are linked to actual images of the 1850 Federal Census. Learn more...
Page Tools

Report Image Problem
View printer-friendly

Rodd Message (Genforum.com)...not Whitehall and Native American Reports

Posted: 21 Jul 2010 7:07PM GMT
Re: Pierre Solomon Rodd
Posted by: Rose Wolford Date: October 23, 2000 at 06:03:48
In Reply to: Re: Pierre Solomon Rodd by karen rodd of 206

Have had occassion to be doing RODD geneology and came across this "tidbit".
Here's what there is to share.

Pierre Solomon "Sol" Rhodes (Rodd) was born about 1808,in Canada, the son of Pierre Rodd and Sophie Rouleau.
He married Marie-Louise Gelineau-Daniels on 27 August 1827 in Napierville, Canada.
Marie was born 9 September 1797, the daughter of Antoine Gelineau (Gelinaud) and Marie Louise Dion (Guyon) Lemoine.
Where they lived they had a garden and birds (Brandts) would keep getting in it. They would take a long pole & Swing it to hit them. Then they would use them to eat.
They lived in a settlement near Three Rivers, Quebec.
They had four children while in Canada and then migrated during the Papineau Rebellion.
Ellen Rodd was born about 1837 and brought across the border with them as a baby.
A Cree Indian accompanied them on their flight.
They first settled at Mount Hope, Ticonderoga, Essex Co, NY; then after a short time, came to Whitehall, Washington Co, NY & built a log cabin just "around the Mountain" on Champlain Lake shore.
In the 1850 Census, Solomon was listed as a laborer. Not much more is know about him.
They had five more children in Whitehall; 4 girls and 5 boys in all.
During the Civil War, Louise laid up stones for a house foundation and after the war, when her sons Solomon & Alexander came home, they built a house for her at "the Elbow".

The family claimed that Marie-Louise lived for 108 yrs; her obituary said she died on her 100th birthday, being 9 September 1897 in Whitehall, Washington Co, NY.
In her last years, she would walk from the Elbow to church, on Skene St; but eventually needed 2 canes to walk. She would sing a song "Penny Pourpant". She had her own teeth all her life. One Mrs David Manell said Marie-Louise looked like an Indian squaw when she was laid out.
Pierre & Marie-Louise are both buried either at "the Elbow" or more likely across the lake near what is the Gailick farm (1985).

Complied by Carol (Manell) Senecal in 1985

Followups:

Re: Pierre Solomon Rodd Andrew Rodd 1/11/02

Re: Pierre Solomon Rodd
Posted by: Rose Wolford Date: October 23, 2000 at 06:03:48
In Reply to: Re: Pierre Solomon Rodd by karen rodd of 206

Have had occassion to be doing RODD geneology and came across this "tidbit".
Here's what there is to share.

Pierre Solomon "Sol" Rhodes (Rodd) was born about 1808,in Canada, the son of Pierre Rodd and Sophie Rouleau.
He married Marie-Louise Gelineau-Daniels on 27 August 1827 in Napierville, Canada.
Marie was born 9 September 1797, the daughter of Antoine Gelineau (Gelinaud) and Marie Louise Dion (Guyon) Lemoine.
Where they lived they had a garden and birds (Brandts) would keep getting in it. They would take a long pole & Swing it to hit them. Then they would use them to eat.
They lived in a settlement near Three Rivers, Quebec.
They had four children while in Canada and then migrated during the Papineau Rebellion.
Ellen Rodd was born about 1837 and brought across the border with them as a baby.
A Cree Indian accompanied them on their flight.
They first settled at Mount Hope, Ticonderoga, Essex Co, NY; then after a short time, came to Whitehall, Washington Co, NY & built a log cabin just "around the Mountain" on Champlain Lake shore.
In the 1850 Census, Solomon was listed as a laborer. Not much more is know about him.
They had five more children in Whitehall; 4 girls and 5 boys in all.
During the Civil War, Louise laid up stones for a house foundation and after the war, when her sons Solomon & Alexander came home, they built a house for her at "the Elbow".

The family claimed that Marie-Louise lived for 108 yrs; her obituary said she died on her 100th birthday, being 9 September 1897 in Whitehall, Washington Co, NY.
In her last years, she would walk from the Elbow to church, on Skene St; but eventually needed 2 canes to walk. She would sing a song "Penny Pourpant". She had her own teeth all her life. One Mrs David Manell said Marie-Louise looked like an Indian squaw when she was laid out.
Pierre & Marie-Louise are both buried either at "the Elbow" or more likely across the lake near what is the Gailick farm (1985).

Complied by Carol (Manell) Senecal in 1985

Followups:

Re: Pierre Solomon Rodd Andrew Rodd 1/11/02

David Rodd's Father Was From "Canada French"; Mother, NY (see 1930 Census

Posted: 21 Jul 2010 7:22PM GMT
1930 United States Federal Census
about David Rodd
Name: David Rodd
Home in 1930: Whitehall, Washington, New York
View Map
Estimated birth year: abt 1861
Birthplace: New York
Relation to Head of House: Head
Race: White

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
David Rodd 69
Andrew D Rodd 40
Gertrude Rodd 35
Raymond Rodd 16

View
Original
Record

View original image

View

Rootsweb Message Board Postings

Posted: 21 Jul 2010 7:29PM GMT
Rodd, Batisse, Guilbert Dit Richard, Daniels,Daignault
Replies: 7
Re: Rodd, Batisse, Guilbert Dit Richard, Daniels,Daignault
krodd3579 (View posts) Posted: 31 Dec 2001 10:34PM GMT

Surnames: rodd, daniels, martel
yes, they lived in quebec, montreal. after leaving canada they settled in whitehall new york, before moving to massachuseets, vermont and to connecticut. sorry i took so long to reply but i just saw your reply from october my e-mail is qmbarnes@snet.net
Reply Report Abuse Print
Change to Flat View
Subject Author Date Posted
Rodd, Batisse, Guilbert Dit Richard, Daniels,Daignault Shirley Daignault {Denue} 12 Jun 2001 4:14PM GMT
Re: Rodd, Batisse, Guilbert Dit Richard, Daniels,Daignault krodd3579 8 Jul 2001 4:10AM GMT
Re: Rodd, Batisse, Guilbert Dit Richard, Daniels,Daignault shirley denue 8 Jul 2001 2:31PM GMT
Re: Rodd, Batisse, Guilbert Dit Richard, Daniels,Daignault bluebeau 8 Oct 2001 4:03PM GMT
Re: Rodd, Batisse, Guilbert Dit Richard, Daniels,Daignault krodd3579 31 Dec 2001 10:34PM GMT
Re: Rodd, Batisse, Guilbert Dit Richard, Daniels,Daignault Daydreamernh 26 Dec 2004 10:00AM GMT
Re: Rodd, Batisse, Guilbert Dit Richard, Daniels,Daignault Yolanda Fountain 28 Dec 2004 2:56AM GMT
Re: Rodd, Batisse, Guilbert Dit Richard, Daniels,Daignault Liz 28 Dec 2004 8:55AM GMT

Change to Flat View

Rootsweb Message Board Postings

Posted: 21 Jul 2010 7:29PM GMT
Rodd, Batisse, Guilbert Dit Richard, Daniels,Daignault
Replies: 7
Re: Rodd, Batisse, Guilbert Dit Richard, Daniels,Daignault
krodd3579 (View posts) Posted: 31 Dec 2001 10:34PM GMT

Surnames: rodd, daniels, martel
yes, they lived in quebec, montreal. after leaving canada they settled in whitehall new york, before moving to massachuseets, vermont and to connecticut. sorry i took so long to reply but i just saw your reply from october my e-mail is qmbarnes@snet.net
Reply Report Abuse Print
Change to Flat View
Subject Author Date Posted
Rodd, Batisse, Guilbert Dit Richard, Daniels,Daignault Shirley Daignault {Denue} 12 Jun 2001 4:14PM GMT
Re: Rodd, Batisse, Guilbert Dit Richard, Daniels,Daignault krodd3579 8 Jul 2001 4:10AM GMT
Re: Rodd, Batisse, Guilbert Dit Richard, Daniels,Daignault shirley denue 8 Jul 2001 2:31PM GMT
Re: Rodd, Batisse, Guilbert Dit Richard, Daniels,Daignault bluebeau 8 Oct 2001 4:03PM GMT
Re: Rodd, Batisse, Guilbert Dit Richard, Daniels,Daignault krodd3579 31 Dec 2001 10:34PM GMT
Re: Rodd, Batisse, Guilbert Dit Richard, Daniels,Daignault Daydreamernh 26 Dec 2004 10:00AM GMT
Re: Rodd, Batisse, Guilbert Dit Richard, Daniels,Daignault Yolanda Fountain 28 Dec 2004 2:56AM GMT
Re: Rodd, Batisse, Guilbert Dit Richard, Daniels,Daignault Liz 28 Dec 2004 8:55AM GMT

Change to Flat View

Re: Rodd Message (Genforum.com)...not Whitehall and Native American Reports

Posted: 8 Feb 2014 4:36PM GMT
Just recently started searching my family ancestry, this past summer I was told about a family plot (Manell) at the" elbow" in Whitehall, NY. ---- In locating this plot I also came across the Rodd family along with a few others. I'm guessing that they are buried there. In doing my search, I have discovered that the Rodd's are part of my ancestry. Will be going back to the "elbow" in the spring to look for more information.
If you have any further info that you could share please do.

Christine Manell Wurthman
per page

Find a board about a specific topic