Search for content in message boards

Anna LAUDER & Wm Henry Pearson Porter

Anna LAUDER & Wm Henry Pearson Porter

Celia Vaughn (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2003 2:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: LAUDER, PORTER, CALLENDER
Looking for their descendants . My gr grand-father was Charles Robertson Lauder the brother of Anna Jean Lauder. They emigrated form Dominica in the late 1880's & went to Australia. They had a dtr in Dominica, Clarice. I would like to make contact with any family & exchange info, names, dates etc. I have traced Charles's wife Alma Gertrude Callender back for several generations. Thank you.
Celia Vaughn
Lakewood, CA USA

Re: Anna LAUDER & Wm Henry Pearson Porter

Posted: 3 Jul 2012 8:04AM GMT
Surnames: Lauder
Hi, I am Nancy Elizabeth Munn, the great great grandaughter of William and Anna. They had at least 2 daughters but I only know them by nicknames so that is no help. My great grandmother went to Bermuda on holiday and fell in love with a British Army officer, Philip Ambrose Cardew. She went to live with his family in England for a year to see if it was real love and it was! She, Gladys Porter (I don't know of any middle names,)was a wonderful person whom I knew when I was small. I loved her, she used to play card games with me!! Life in England must have seemed very strange for her after living as a lady of leisure in the heat. Please could you give me any information on the Lauders, I don't know anything about them or Anna's parents, I don't even have a name for them or Anna's dates.

Good luck,
Elizabeth

Posted: 4 Jul 2012 2:10AM GMT
Edited: 4 Jul 2012 3:00AM GMT
Hi Elizabeth,

I'm not related and can't help you with the Lauder family as yet, but, have you seen the info below?

It appears Gladys was not given a middle name. Her sisters (?) were named Iris Ethel and Clarice Nina (?)

G.H.A. Porter, baptised 1822, Tortola, was appointed Colonial Secretary in 1869.

London Gazette, 1869

"The Queen has also been pleased to appoint
George Heyliger Aertsen Porter, Esq., to be
Colonial Secretary for the Island of Dominica"

Edited to add:

He was Colonial Secretary of Tortola and the Virgin Islands circa 1852.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers, Anne

[CARIBBEAN-L] SPONSORS NAMES EX FAMILY BIBLE.

ST KITTS:

At baptism of GLADYS PORTER 9 August 1883

MRS H.LAUDER - MRS M.J.SPOONER OF ST.VINCENT - HON.J.F.WYLDE OF ANTIGUA

ST.KITTS:

At baptism of IRIS ETHEL PORTER on 9th August 1888

MISS EMILY F.WOODCOCK - MRS ALMA G.LAUDER - MR C.R.LAUDER OF DOMINICA

DOMINICA;

At baptism of CLARICE NINA PORTER on 13 MAY 1891

HON. W.D.AUCHLINECK AND MRS AUCHINLECK OF ST.KITTS - MRS E.STOLLMEYER OF TRINIDAD - MISS JOSEPHINE R.CALLENDER.

TORTOLA:

At baptism of GEORGE HEYLIGER AERTSEN PORTER 11 October 1822 -

Rev'd W.CHADERTON - Hon. W.R.ISAACS - Hon.J.ROSS M.D. - N.McLAUGHLIN JNR -PAT McLAUGHLIN - MRS S. ISAACS - MRS M ROSS - MISS McLAUGHLIN - MRS MARIA SHEEN - MRS M AGNES JAMES - MR JOBE DOAN - MRS M.DOAN - CAPT.DOUGALD McCOLL
OF GLASGOW.

TORTOLA:

At baptism of JANE MAXWELL AGNES PORTER 24 November 1824 -

His Excellency Gov.MAXWELL - HON W.R.ISAACS - HORACE W.SNOW - REV'd W.CHADERTON - MAJOR J.HASSUM -REV'D JOS.PARKIN - MRS MAXWELL - MRS P.ISAACS- MRS SNOW -MRS HEYLIGER sJACOB - MRS ANGELINA PETERSEN - MRS PARKIN - MISS CATH AERTSEN- MISS M.E.JAMES - MRS RITTENBERG.

TORTOLA:

At baptism of WILLIAM BOYS HARVEY PORTER 5 June 1826

Hon.W.R.ISAACS - HON. WILSON LAWSON - MRS S.ISAACS - MISS F.LAWSON - MISS MARGARET ROBERTSON - MRS N.McLAUGHLIN - MISS ELIZABETH ROSS - MISS C.HADDOCK- MRS WAAG - MR N.McLAUGHLIN.

TORTOLA:

At baptism of MEHITABEL SARAH MOYLNEUX PORTER 11 March 1847

G.R.PORTER -HON.W.R.ISAACS - C.F.STOUT - WILLIAM HENRY SHEW - WILLIAM BOYS HARVEY PORTER - MRS W.R.ISAACS - MISS MEHITABEL MOLYNEUX - MISS M.E.JAMES -MISS MARY M.THOMAS - MRS ANN S.LEWIS - MRS MARIA GLASS STOUT - MRS C.SHEW

TORTOLA:

At baptism of GEORGE RICHARDSON HARVEY PORTER 27 July 1850

HON.D.H.O.GORDON - WM.B.H.PORTER - PEARSON GELNTWORTH PORTER - MISS M.E.JAMES - MRS D.H.O.GORDON -

TORTOLA:

At baptism of WILLIAM HENRY PEARSON PORTER on 4 December 1856

His Excellency C.H.KORTRIGHT - MRS STOUT - MRS CAROLINE SHEW - MISS ANNA MORCH OF ST.THOMAS.

TORTOLA:

At baptism of THOMAS PRICE CLUTTERBUCK PORTER 16 June 1859

HIS HON.THOMAS PRICE - HON.I FARRINGTON - MRS FARRINGTON -- MRS TODMAN

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CARIBBEAN/1999...

Posted: 5 Jul 2012 10:42PM GMT
Wow, thank you! That's fantastic. I know Gladys is my great grandmother so I am good with her family but her two sisters, Iris Ethel and Clarice Nina I know as Aunty Icy and Aunty Sooks. I am assuming Icy is Iris and Sooks is Clarice? Not too sure. Also not sure about the real names of their spouses and children. Any clues anyone?

Posted: 6 Jul 2012 12:11AM GMT
I haven't been able to find a marriage for Iris or Clarice, but did find another archived post from the Celia who opened this thread.

"Have lost contact with my cousin Nanette McBryde whose mother was Clarice Nina PORTER & whose grand-parents were William Henry Pearson Porter & Anna Jean LAUDER. If anyone recognises these names would they please contact me. Nanette had a daughter called Laura."

http://genforum.genealogy.com/australia/messages/49919.html

Anne

Posted: 6 Jul 2012 1:13AM GMT
Out of interest I had a bit more of a look at this family, though I'm limited to what I can find online. Hopefully Celia or someone from her family will respond to your post.

The patriach of your Porter family (of Tortola, and later Dominica) 'may' have been a George Richardson Porter, variously named Member of His Majesty's Council, President of His Majesty's Council, Member of the Council of the Virgin Islands, Governor of the Virgin Islands, President of Tortola (1820s). Also found a reference to him as Chief Justice of Tortola in 1826.

Quote below from the book 'From the Field to the Legislature: A History of Women in the Virgin Islands', by Eugenia O'Neal.

"The Colonial Secretary Mr G H A Porter . . . has held his present office since 1844. His father was Senior Member of Council . . . and Chief Justice. The father of the late Mr G K Porter of the Board of Trade was a brother of the last named gentleman."

This appears to confirm that George Richardson Porter was the father of George Heyliger Aertsen Porter (Colonial Secretary of Dominica, 1860s), who in turn, from the info posted previously from a family bible, was possibly the father of William Henry Pearson Porter (??).

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CARIBBEAN/1999...

UK Archives has a will (can be purchased for a small price) which could prove interesting . . . There is probably a lot more info to be found at a UK Archives search using appropriate keywords.

Description
Will of George Richardson Porter of Tortola, West Indies
Date 05 May 1830
Catalogue reference PROB 11/1771
Dept Records of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury
Series Prerogative Court of Canterbury and related Probate Jurisdictions: Will Registers
Piece Name of Register: Beard Quire Numbers: 301 - 350
Image contains 1 will of many for the catalogue reference

Have you tried the LDS Family History Centres?

Anne

Posted: 6 Jul 2012 10:27AM GMT
Anne,

Thank you, I have contacted Celia and can tell her more about the Porter sisters than she knew already. I have found out lots about William Henry Pearson Porter's wife and his family through Celia too, that's her family. I'm new to this "message board" information sharing and I think it is wonderful. I now just sit back and wait!!!

Elizabeth

Posted: 6 Jul 2012 10:32AM GMT
Anne,

OOOOH! I hadn't found that at all! Wow, that's all wonderful stuff! I will have to order a copy of that will and see where it leads me. I have had success with that in the past and I do know where to go to get one! I am going to try that information and see where it leads.

THANK YOU!
Elizabeth

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 11:16AM GMT
Hi Anna,
Ihave read your posts regarding William Henry Pearson Porter and am in contact with both Celia and Elizabeth to whom I am related. I am the grandaughter of Clarice Porter, who was one of the daughters of William Henry Pearson Porter.
I am wondering if you can direct me to the link to the family bible that you refer to in the thread regarding the Porters.
Mant thanks
Laura
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions