Search for content in message boards

Rowes in Devon England in the 1500s

Rowes in Devon England in the 1500s

Posted: 11 Jul 2007 7:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for information about Nicholas Rowe b 1553 in Lamerton, Devon and died 28 March 1609. He married Agnes Fytz. He is the son of John Rowe b 1515 in Lamertonand married Elizabeth Hill. He is the son of John Rowe b 1590 and married Anna Greyville. He is the son of Robert Rowe b 1545 and married Mary Dennys. I would love to hear from anyone who can elaborate on any of these people.

Re: Rowes in Devon England in the 1500s

Posted: 6 Jun 2008 10:34PM GMT
I'm working on this same family at the moment because they are my husband's ancestors.

I've made a little progress but no enormous steps.

Contact me if you are still interested.

Sue

Posted: 13 Oct 2008 6:08AM GMT
Hi Sue, im just starting my Rowe family tree and wonder if you have a Benjamin Rowe (b1832) whose father was James Rowe born 1787 Devon in your tree? If so, id love some pointers on where to go next. Im in Australia by the way.
Thanks.

Posted: 13 Oct 2008 8:09PM GMT
Surnames: Rowe
Hello Mark

I can't see an obvious link with my husband's Rowes from the Lamerton area.
Do you know where in Devon your Rowes originated and was your Benjamin also born in Devon? Do you know who they married?

I looked on the IGI and spotted some possibles in Uffculme but you need more evidence.

BANJAMIN ROWE IGI Batch C052041
Christening: 26 OCT 1834 Uffculme, Devon, England

Father: JAMES ROWE

Mother: SARAH

JAMES ROW IGI Batch C052041
Christening: 15 JUN 1788 Uffculme, Devon, England

Father: RICHARD ROW

IGI Batch M052041

JAMES ROW
Spouse: SARAH PIKE
Marriage: 02 APR 1818 Uffculme, Devon, England

Best wishes
Sue

Posted: 14 Oct 2008 2:22AM GMT
BANJAMIN ROWE IGI Batch C052041
Christening: 26 OCT 1834 Uffculme, Devon, England

Father: JAMES ROWE

and

IGI Batch M052041

JAMES ROW
Spouse: SARAH PIKE
Marriage: 02 APR 1818 Uffculme, Devon, England

are in my tree. Thanks for the help by the way. What is IGI? And how do i found out about christenings? Where do i look? Thanks heaps for any advice.
Mark

Posted: 14 Oct 2008 9:55AM GMT
Hello Mark

The IGI or International Genealogical index has been compiled by the Latter Day Saints (Mormons). It is not complete for many parts of the UK because not all parishes have been happy to give access to their registers.

The IGI is online http://www.familysearch.org/ but you need to realise that the entries marked submitted may be very inaccurate. Those extracted directly from registers may also be wrongly transcribed.

The Latter Day Saints (LDS) also run various family history centres and you may find one near you.

People able to research in the UK would tend to visit the local Records Office for the area of interest and look at copies of the original registers on microfiche. The LDS have some of these in their centres too and I believe you can order particular parishes and have them there for when you visit.

OK so this is how you go about it.
Online you can hunt for ancestors going back through the censuses from 1901 to 1841. These can be found on Ancestry if you are a subscriber or Findmypast http://www.findmypast.com/
or Origins http://www.englishorigins.com/

You can also hunt on the IGI and it helps to understand the system. Please read
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatch... but remember that many parishes are not in the index or are incomplete.

I didn't quite understand your reply. Were those Rowes of Uffculme definitely yours? If so how have you reached that conclusion? What evidence have you found so far?

Sue

Posted: 14 May 2011 6:17AM GMT
Hi Sue,

I know your post is several years old, but I hope you will receive this entry.

I have been searching for a Nicholas and Mary Rowe who were present at the 1624 muster in Elizabeth City Parish, Virginia, present day Hampton, Virginia.

I have seen many posting saying that he was the son of Nicholas Rowe of Lamerton, however I have not been able to find any proof. I do know he arrived in 1619 on board the Elizabeth and I have found him in some of the Jamestown records.

I suppose what I'm asking is how would I begin to search records for the Virginia Company and/or London Company. I know there must be information in the UK somewhere as to where the people who settled Virginia were from and how I might find the information.

If there is anyone in Devon who might know of a Nicholas Rowe or who is related to a Nicholas Rowe who ran off to seek his fortune in Virginia in the 1600s, I would love to have then contact me.

Regards
Joyce Rowe-Follett from the 400 year old Rowe Family of Virginia.

Posted: 29 Nov 2013 9:26PM GMT
Surnames: Rowe, Fytz
I am a direct descendant of Nicholas Rowe.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic