Search for content in message boards

Cannon family-Cannons Bridge Orangeburg, S.C.

Cannon family-Cannons Bridge Orangeburg, S.C.

Posted: 5 Nov 2007 5:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cannon, Wolfe, Zeigler, Dyches, Erwin, Bruton, Rowe, Pou
I am looking for any and all information pertaining to the Cannon family and Cannons Bridge, near the present Orangeburg Community of Canaan.

At the S.C. Dept. of Archives are the following documents;

The 2 page document s165015, item 127, dated 01/13/1791, is the earliest mention of a Cannon Toll Bridge; ''Cannon, Robert and other inhabitants of Orange County, petition asking the House to allow him to charge a toll for his bridge across the Edisto River.''

Another petition by the early inhabitants is the following; ''Inhabitants of Orange County and Orangeburgh District, Petition asking that commissioners be appointed to clear the South Branch of the Edisto River for Navigation.'' s165015, item 66, 12/04/1798. Among the names are Thomas Young, Elyas Holly, Peter Felder, Robert Cannon, John Heartsey, John Yancey, Michael Zegler, Stephen Curry, Hopkin Howell and Isack Dyches.

11/28/1811, Mrs. Eleanor Cannon petitioned for the re-establishment of a bridge over the South forks of the Edisto River. This document, s165015, item 102, bears only two names, Mrs. Eleanor Cannon and Robert Cannon. One month later, 12/28/1811, there is a second document, s165015, item 104, pertaining to the bridge re-establishment and again only Eleanor and Robert are mentioned.

Does anyone know if any of these Cannons are buried in Orangeburg,Bamberg or Barnwell Counties? Did they move away?
The earliest Cannon member I have found buried in Orangeburg is that of my Great Grandfather James Cannon, born in 1827.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John B. Green

Re: Cannon family-Cannons Bridge Orangeburg, S.C.

Posted: 6 Nov 2007 2:53PM GMT
Surnames: Cannon, Felder
Hi John,

I am interested in this Robert Cannon.

There are lots of Robert Cannons, though.

My 5th great grandfather, Robert Cannon, b. abt. 1774 SC, d. April 1868 TX, migrated west to Kentucky, possibly Illinois, then south Arkansas after 1822, Claiborne Parish, LA by 1830, and then Houston County, Texas, by 1837. Some of his children were born in KY around 1815-1820. A son, Benjamin E. Cannon, b. 1820 KY, d. 1849 TX, ran "Cannon's Ferry" at a point on the Neches River between the Anderson and Cherokee Counties in east Texas. He and his mother, Nancy, owned land nearby in Anderson County. I think a toll bridge was built there after he died.

My Robert Cannon was married to Nancy, b. 1780-1790, d. 1848 TX. I don't know anything about this Robert Cannon's life prior to migrating or his family of origin.

I wonder if the Peter Felder mentioned in the document is Peter Felder, b. 2 Apr 1759 Orangeburg Dist., SC, d. 12 May 1815 Amite, MS. A grandson of his, Henry Harvey Felder, Sr., b. 22 Jan 1823 Pike Co., MS, d. Feb 1893 Cherokee Co., TX, is my 2nd great grandfather. He settled near Alto in Cherokee Co., TX.

Marcella Moore

Posted: 6 Nov 2007 11:18PM GMT
Hey Marcella

The Orangeburg Courthouse burned with all the records in it. It is going to be hard to nail down who any of these people are. I have no info as to where any of the Cannons went after 1811.

You can go online to the S.C. Department of Archives and view, not the actual document, but a summary of who, what and where. I will attach what info I have on this Robert Cannon. Some documents are available online.

I would recommend persuading 1 to 3 males of your Cannon line to submit DNA to a reputable organization such as Family Tree DNA OR Ancestry.com. I am having a hard time finding a living Cannon male that I am related to.

I have submitted DNA for my Greene family project and am making new discoveries weekly. I think that will be the only way we will ever figure out the Cannons.

As for the Felders, there were a good many in the Orangeburgh area back in the day, but I really don't know much about them. I am sure that there are Felder descendants on the Orangeburg board and probably info on the Felder board.

Here is what I have put together;

Robert Cannon

Document s213190, volume 4, page 27, shows that Robert Cannon received 200 acres on the South fork of the Edisto River, 11/19/1784. Surveyor Nathaniel Walker and Henry Young are the other names indexed on the document.

02/22/1786, Robert received 936 acres in the fork of the Edisto River, Persimmon Branch, s213190, volume 19, page 59. Other names indexed are Nightengale, Merrell and Surveyor Benjamin Grubb.

11/01/1787, document s213190, volume 21, page 88, shows that Robert received another 470 acres located on the South Edisto River. Surveyor John Milhous, William Johnston, Wittenhall Warner, Mure, Dr. Bud, and Col. Lawrence are also documented.

Robert received another 370 acres on Boggy Branch, documented s213190, volume 21, page 89, 11/07/1787. Names indexed are John and William Zachary and Nathaniel Walker.
09/13/1793, Robert received 180 acres, fork of the Edisto River, s213190, volume 31, page 328, item 1. Merce, Young and Brown are names indexed.

The 2 page document s165015, item 127, dated 01/13/1791, is the earliest mention of a Cannon Toll Bridge; ''Cannon, Robert and other inhabitants of Orange County, petition asking the House to allow him to charge a toll for his bridge across the Edisto River.''

Another petition by the early inhabitants is the following; ''Inhabitants of Orange County and Orangeburgh District, Petition asking that commissioners be appointed to clear the South Branch of the Edisto River for Navigation.'' s165015, item 66, 12/04/1798. Among the names are Thomas Young, Elyas Holly, Peter Felder, Robert Cannon, John Heartsey, John Yancey, Michael Zegler, Stephen Curry, Hopkin Howell and Isack Dyches.

11/28/1811, Mrs. Eleanor Cannon petitioned for the re-establishment of a bridge over the South forks of the Edisto River. This document, s165015, item 102, bears only two names, Mrs. Eleanor Cannon and Robert Cannon. One month later, 12/28/1811, there is a second document, s165015, item 104, pertaining to the bridge re-establishment and again only Eleanor and Robert are mentioned.

According to Linda Lord Elliott, information obtained 11/02/2007, the will of Robert Cannon is somewhere in Orangeburg. He supposedly died 12/13/1793 and his will listed the following children;
Nathaniel Cannon, born 1760
William F. Cannon, born 1765
Son Cannon, unknown
Rebecca Cannon, born about 1768
Elizabeth Cannon, born 1770
Samuel Cannon, born 1773

Robert is the only Cannon in the South Edisto area listed in the 1790 Census, listed are 2 males over 16, 4 males under 16 and 3 females.

I have not seen this will nor have I been able to find out where it is located.

To the best of my knowledge none of these Cannons of this period are buried in the Orangeburg area.

Posted: 7 Nov 2007 4:22AM GMT
Surnames: Cannon
Thank you very much.

I will look for a male Cannon descendent of my Robert Cannon for Ydna analysis.

Thank you again.

Marcella

Posted: 21 Feb 2011 2:08AM GMT
I am a descendant of Nathaniel Cannon, whose tombstone is online in the Mount Olive Cemetery in Wilkinson Co., GA. It shows he was born in 1760 and died in 1844. His Rev War pension application filed in Wilkinson Co., GA, is also online and he stated in it that "as best he could recollect, he was born in 1763 in SC." He married Frances Sumner of SC and their first son Wiley Cannon was born in Burke Co., GA, in 1792. In 1805, he drew land in Wilkinson Co., GA, and spent the remander of his life there, raising a large family.

I found another reference to the Will of Robert Cannon in, "Orangeburg Dist., SC, Returns in Partition from Court of Equity 1824-1837," by Brent Holcomb, pg. 52-53. In the case of Wolfe & Wife vs. Cannon & Others, in Equity, 1829, it seems that Eleanor Cannon was deceased without a Will, but they were dealing with a couple of gift deeds she had made. Is it possible that the Will of Robert Cannon is filed with these precedings? The SC Archives does not have Robert Cannon's Will online, but they have many other Wills posted.

I am attaching the above reference. On pg. 52 (pg. 76 of the original book), it reads, "It appears by the copy of the last will and testament of the Testator Robert Cannon bearing date 3rd of December 1793 that ...bequeathed as follows: to his widow Elinor Cannon a plantation; also three negroes named Adam, Fan and Rose; and if she should die without making a will the said Negroes to be equally divided between my three children, William Cannon, Rebecca Cannon & Nathaniel Cannon."

On 8 Sep 1824, Eleanor made a gift deed (to be delivered at her death) of 5 slaves to the children of R. Cannon (whom they refer to as her grandchildren).

On 3 Feb 1825, Eleanor made a gift deed (to be delivered at her death) of 3 slaves to her daughter Rebecca Robinson and her heirs.

Melanie Atkins
Attachments:

Posted: 21 Feb 2011 2:16AM GMT
My previous post failed to pick up the 2nd and 3rd pages of the attachment, so I am posting all 3 here.
Melanie
Attachments:

Posted: 26 May 2011 10:52PM GMT
I'm not real sure of any of my Cannon's anymore however, this James may have been a brother to John & Ellis, I'm not sure, if you come across that, let me know.
Also, I have a male cousin who's father & my father were 1/2 brothers but both of their father's were the same, George Marshall Cannon, son of Iverson Marshall, son of John, John, John, etc.back to I believe I have so far as John b. 1642 that marrried Ester(or Hester) Pledge. I think he would do the DNA if someone would pay the cost. Let me know. Kcannoncoons@gmail.com (I'm Kat Cannon-Coons)

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 3:35AM GMT
My dad is the desendant of Robert Cannon. I just started researching this for my son's school project. His dad was Colonel Cannon and his mom is Lonie Urssery. Colonel 2nd wife. If you find out any more information on Robert Cannon please let us know. My dad would be very happy to find out any information.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic