Search for content in message boards

Canada census ??

Canada census ??

Posted: 10 May 2002 2:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Mar 2006 10:42PM GMT
Surnames: SEATON / McDowell / Bartley / French / Manchester
I posted this a while ago and got no responses so I thought I'd try again.

I am looking for Canadian Census records that are either on-line or cd-rom. Specifically, I am looking for Quebec(Montreal) from 1851 and 1861. I saw a couple people here say that the records are available on Ancestry.com, but I didn't see any CANADA census records. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Canada census ??

Jim Lahue (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2002 6:47PM GMT
The only digital version of any Canadian census that I have seen available is the 1881 Census data CDs from the LDS. If any of the other census years are available, I'd be interested in them.

Re st.jean family

rena (st.jean) neal (View posts)
Posted: 16 May 2002 1:25AM GMT

Margo Stapleton (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2002 6:01AM GMT
I ran across a site earlier tonight that had a few areas online, but not enough to be very helpful. There are quite a few censuses on film at the Mormon FHC, and you can find out what the film numbers are, and if there are some you want to see, by going to the website (www.familysearch.org) and then to the library catalogue. You can request listings for places, subjects, authors, surnames, and then get book numbers or film numbers.
If there is a Mormon Family History Center anywhere near you, it's worth while to order films they may not have on hand, as the rental price is quite low, and you can study them on their film readers, and get copies of what pages have the information you're after. Their staffs are generally very glad to assist if they can.
I know that the 1825, 1831, and 1842 censuses give only head of household, but the 1851 (actually done in 1852) and 1861 have all members of a household. I have a scribbled note here about a book by Thos. Hillman which I think is a catalogue of microfilms, listing townships, cities or counties, but it doesn't have the FHL's film numbers.....I think those are the Public Archives of Canada numbers. Sorry this doesn't sound more helpful!

Posted: 26 Aug 2002 12:29AM GMT
Edited: 17 Mar 2006 10:42PM GMT
Surnames: Seaton / Manchester / McDowell
My wife's mother has some relatives from Plattsburgh NY (near Canada border) named Lahue and Wilkins. Any relation??

Jim Lahue (View posts)
Posted: 27 Aug 2002 3:32PM GMT
It is very possible that I am distantly related to the Lahues in Plattsburg (since most of the Lahues in the northeast NY counties are descended from the Lague family from Canada). I would be very interested in contacting someone from that Lahue family to discuss family history.

Posted: 27 Aug 2002 3:41PM GMT
Surnames: Seaton / McDowell / Manchester
Jim,

I know very little about the Lahues. My wife's mother originally came from Plattsburgh but moved (around 1940's) when she was a little kid (around 5-6 years old). She thinks her Grandparents name was Lahue but she is not sure of the spelling. I'm going to get her to send away for a Social Security death record for her deceased father (Chester Wilkins). That should have his parents names listed.

John

Jim Lahue (View posts)
Posted: 27 Aug 2002 4:22PM GMT
Surnames: WILKINS LAHUE
Unfortunately, we don't have any records for any Wilkins in the Lahue tree at this point (but we have a lot of gaps in this time period). If I come across a Wilkins link to the Lahues in upstate NY, I'll let you know.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic