Search for content in message boards

Contacting Lutheran Church in Germany

Contacting Lutheran Church in Germany

Posted: 1 Apr 2004 11:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Sep 2006 7:27PM GMT
Surnames: Landgraf, Mehnert, Hanneman, Stellmacher
Has anyone had success in contacting a Saxony Lutheran Church for family information. If so could you share what/how you did it? Would you do things the same again?

I have Lutheran ancestors who came from Crimmitschau, Saxony, Germany. They were b. 1847 & 1852 and m. abt 1878. I have exact birth dates for them & their children. The Landgraf family came to US in 1891.

Thanks, Roger

Re: Contacting Lutheran Church in Germany

Robert T. (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2004 1:23AM GMT
Roger, Germans themselves are very interested in genealogy and churches in Germany are thus accustomed to receiving genealogical requests. Most churches are very helpful, but you should offer to send them a small donation in return for their trouble. I always received large envelopes of information back from any church I ever contacted -- above and beyond my initial request. I always sent the equivalent of a $25 donation.

There are three Lutheran churches in Crimmitschau, so I will give you the contact information for the central office that serves all three. I think it would be easiest if you would start by sending them an e-mail:

Ev.-Luth. Kirchgemeindeverband
Zeitzer Str. 1
08541 Crimmitschau
GERMANY

phone: 011-49-3762-938933

e-mail: kgv-Crimmitschau@t-online.de

Robert

Posted: 2 Apr 2004 6:34AM GMT
Robert, I appreciate the detailed suggestions. For translating did you use babelfish or ?
Thank you, Roger

Robert T. (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2004 12:22PM GMT
Roger, I myself had no translating to do. I spent 15 years of my own life in Munich, Germany, six of those years spent studying history at the University of Munich. So I was able to communicate in German. I don't have any firsthand experience with Babelfish or any of those programs. But because knowledge of English is so widespread, you could perhaps try e-mailing them in English.

Robert

ANobis (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2004 6:06PM GMT
Surnames: Nobis
My experience was disappointing. I had the street address of the Lutheran Church in Thalheim, Saxony, Germany. My German teacher checked my letter in German for possible errors. I sent Euros in cash, a self-addressed envelope and international postage coupons.
I received no response, not even a note in the envelope that no records could be found.

Posted: 2 Apr 2004 9:29PM GMT
Sorry to hear that you had a problem. I have heard from others who were given information. Perhaps the difference was that they sent the $ after hearing that information had been found and would be sent upon getting a donation.

I also have ancestors from bohemia (czech) and I paid a Czech to find information for me. With German needs I thought I would ask other how they have done. It has encouraged me to try writing for the info.

Perhaps you may find a German genealogist in the Thalheim area who could get the info. Good Luck
Roger

Posted: 2 Apr 2004 9:31PM GMT
Robert, Thanks again for the information and encouragement. I will follow your advise.
Roger

Posted: 13 Oct 2007 2:18PM GMT
Surnames: Koetsch
Does any one have the current email address, the given email seems to be no longer valid?

Posted: 16 Oct 2007 12:16AM GMT
Surnames: Peters
Just starting to search for German relatives. I have much information, but little experience in searching for German records. I would appreciate any help. My relative's name was Christian Gottlieb Peters, eldest son of Gottlieb Ernst and Anna Rosina (nee Scheile) Peters and grandson of Johann Christian and Rosina (nee Muller) Peters. He was born at Langebruck, near Dresden, in the Kingdom of Saxony on April 12, 1782.

Can anyone PLEASE get me started with possibly the address of the proper church or public records office?

Thanks - Anne T.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions