Search for content in message boards

John Brown (b. 1875), Mount Desert Island

John Brown (b. 1875), Mount Desert Island

Posted: 25 Oct 2004 5:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Nov 2004 12:34PM GMT
Surnames: BROWN
Am trying to establish link beyond Mount Desert Is where the Brown's came from. John Brown (b.1785) married Betsy Grindle and lived on Sargeant drive below Brown's Mountain (now Norumbega)..I have a hunch they came from Winter Harbor or Bristol..have had no success trying to find deed for that land which will give me a legacy/direction to search..I have backtracked to Albert Brown b 1841 deeding the land to his son..noting the Alonzo Murphy and the Bowdoin's owned adjoining parcels..if anyone could help i'd appreciate it as this is the final link in my genealogy puzzle..thanks Austin

John and James Brown, Somes Sound MDI 1761-1800's

austin hill brown (View posts)
Posted: 12 Dec 2004 4:29AM GMT
Edited: 12 Dec 2004 9:37PM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Sargeant, Lurvey, Somes, Spurling
Someone..somewhere up in Mt.Desert must know where the Brown's came from before immigrating to Mt.Desert..They were one of the original families there..they had a land grant that James contested in 1783..that was deeded to him by brother John in 1773. I know they came up with the Sargeants (thomas).hence Sargeants Drive..Brown's Mountain(now called NORUMBEGA) was named for them as well as a stone gatehouse to the Acadia carraige trails..when James wife Susanna LURVEY died in 1816, the children were taken in by a number of well known MDI'ers to include Samuel Somes..(Somes Sound)..the Spurlings of Cranberry island to name a few..my hunch is they came up by way of Newberryport to Yarmouth/Falmouth then to MDI..but i have nothing solid to date.Ineed help!! thanks Austin

Re: John Brown (b. 1875), Mount Desert Island

Carol-Jeanne (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2005 4:23PM GMT
Maybe there is a link here:
From "Vital Records of Mount Desert Island, Maine" edited by Alice MacDonald Long
page 61
A record of Jonathan Brown's family
Sally Hicklon Brown born Marblehead 30 April 1787.
Jonathan Brown eldest son born Mt Desert 4 December 1793.
William Brown second son born 4 July 1798.

austin hill brownthebrown (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2005 8:17PM GMT
...Hi..thanks for the input..I just looked at Thomas Vining's cemetery's of mount desert..this Jonathan Brown is buried behind the Union church in Manset.."J.N.D. BROWN, U.S.NAVY,REV .WAR".....what is very interesting is that in this cemetery are buried several sons and daughters ..ie.Mercey C, Nathan C, Nathaniel H, Robert H, Infant (of Capt.William N. and Joan(na)."..looking at the "Mount Height " Cemetery also in the Southwest Harbor Area you find "William N.(husb of Joann(Higgins) b.1797 d 1859...Joann Higgins (wife of William N.)is also buried here..so presumably that JND Brown buried in Manset is Jonathan Brown, and the children buried there are his grandchildren..However..in the same cemetery at Mount Height with William (son of Jonathan) ..is Amos Sheldon Brown b.1833 (26th me/civil war) who is my grt grandfather Albert L Brown (8th me/civil war)'s older brother (and grt granfather of "buddy"brown/brown's hardware NE Harbor and Amo's and Albert's father is John Brown jr.(b.1810) born Somes Sound , and his father is John Brown (b.1784..married to betsey Grindle 1807)..from where is what i'm trying to determine..? he was living with at least into the 1860's grave unknown)..but his father enigmatic John Brown with the original mount desert deed no.87/117 acres is the one i'm tracking .He also lived on Somes Sound (grave unknown..with John jr. and Mary..(recently found a note saying he was a "Wheelright?)..(and a deed in Hancock Deed Registry deeding some land in 1796 to George Brown in Vinalhaven)..99% with your Johnathan/William Brown input that they are related somehow..perhaps brother's with similar names John and Johnathan? or cousins? Anyway thankyou very much..i will start back-tracking towards Marblehead..by any chance do you have any access to the original settler list for MDI? If i can find the grant for lot#87..perhaps there will be where ole John Brown is from? thanks again Austin Brown

Posted: 3 Feb 2005 1:05AM GMT
Carol-Jeanne -

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.

Val Ackroyd

Re: Betsey Grindle

Carol-Jeanne (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2005 4:02PM GMT
Edited: 25 Mar 2005 6:33PM GMT
William Grindle, born Berwick, Maine 8 May 1749; baptized Berwick 22 December 1760; died Penobscot, Maine 31 January 1820; married Deer Isle, Maine 16 February 1779 Eunice Howard, born Newburyport, Mass. about 1761; died 1864. 16 children.
# 6 Betsey Grindle, born Sedgwick, Maine 24 February 1787; marriage intentions posted Penobscot, Maine 29 June 1807 to John Brown.

Austin H. Brown (View posts)
Posted: 25 Mar 2005 7:04PM GMT
Edited: 26 Mar 2005 6:14PM GMT
Surnames: BROWN, BROWNE, GRINDLE, THOMAS, LURVEY
Thankyou verymuch for the information i really appreciate it...three questions if i may?....1. Back in 1807, was the town of Penobscott the same as the one we know today?, or was that another name for Castine at that time? 2. Awhile back, one of our board member's was convinced that this/our John Brown (b.1784/85) who married Betsey Grindle was also born in Sedgewick? I haven't found any reference's to date to verify that fact..have you seen anything? 3. This John Brown's father..John Brown (b. approx 1755-65) is listed on several land deeds on Mount Desert Island as being from Belfast? His brother James Brown is listed as contesting some type of land grant to the Gen Court of Massachussets in 1785..the old ink is blurred so I can't figure out if the land grant was for MDI or Thomaston? I have a hunch it was a Bernard grant but i can't find anything anywhere..just the date of the petition.1785 and possibly the date of the deed to James from his his father John Brown (b.?? 1735-40?) dtd 1773..but that wouldn't make sense as Gov.Bernard was long departed to England by then..? Anyway any help is greatly appreciated as all the towns had slightly different names back then and i see refernces to deer isle..vinalhaven and gouldsboro for that time frame with my Brown's so it is possible they all could be related? Only other clue is reference to one of the John Brown's being a "Wheelright"???? thanks again Austin Brown

Austin H. Brownth (View posts)
Posted: 25 Mar 2005 7:14PM GMT
Surnames: BROWN,BROWNE,THOMPSON
Oh, i forgot one other possibly pertinent clue...one of the John Brown (b.1755-65?) sisters (listed as the 7th child) was a Judith Brown born somewhere around 1761 who married Cornelius Thompson in 1778 originally of New Meadows, Harpswell, Maine who then moved to Mount Desert Island..Cornelius Thompson was known for being a Captain of the Privateer Armed Brig Chase...I am am clueless to some of these places...and todays maps arn't helping too much..thanks again Austin Brown

Re: John and James Brown, Somes Sound MDI 1761-1800's

Posted: 5 Jun 2005 3:47AM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Cole
Came across your post while looking for Maine records. Here is a possible lead I have a Joseph Brown(b.5 Feb 1704/05 in Eastham Barnstabe, MA m. Susannah Cole moved to Gorham Me, between 1745 and 1753 Had sons Joseph b 2 Jun 1745, Simeon, b 9 may 1753, and Benjamin b. 1751.
Joseph Brown's father's name is James Brown and had a brother James Brown b 4 Hun 1715 in Eastham but I think left Ma.for Me(not sure) I have this Brown line documented back to the Mayflower.

Frank Wilson

Re: John and James Brown, Somes Sound MDI 1761-1800's

Austin Brown (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jun 2005 5:26PM GMT
Thankyou verymuch! This could turn-out to be of enormous importance to me..Where did you find this info?? I have some hand-me-down notes with John Brown marrying an Abigail Colesworthy and deeding land to relative James Brown in 1773 before taking off for Nova Scotia..There is mention of Joseph Brown going to Hallowell, Maine around the revolution and having some children 1775/1782 which would fit if he was born in 1745.
As per the Mayflower connection..my great grandfather Albert L. Brown served in the 8th Maine inf in the civil war with his cousin Alonzo/Arthur Brown of Millbridge,Me..both of them joined the same day..re-enlisted same day..mustered out same day..same unit..one time i traced Lonzo back to the Mayflower, but i havn't been able to establish any formal connection between Albert and Alonzo..same as George Brown also of Millbridge and related to Alonzo bought land in 1796 in Vinalhaven from Albert Brown's grt granfather John Brown..there's a connection there just like i believe it's too much of a coincidence per Abigail Cole/Colesworthy..just have to establish that connection..if you run into any more info please let me know..thanks Austin
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions