Search for content in message boards

Van Zandt Co. cemeteries

Van Zandt Co. cemeteries

S. Cannon (View posts)
Posted: 9 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brown
Which VanZandt Co. cemeteries are near the Kaufman Co. line, in the area of Elmo (Kaufman Co.)? My ggrandmother, S. Amanda Lindsey BROWN, was born 1870, died abt. 1894-95. I have not been able to locate her burial site. She may be buried in VanZandt Co. Would really appreciate some help. Does anyone know about a "Mrs. Brown" at Old Edgewood?

S. Amanda Lindsey Brown

Posted: 18 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Aug 2001 7:44PM GMT
Surnames: BROWN
I have a complete set of the "Graveyards of Van Zandt County". I have searched the index for the Northwest section of the County. I found many BROWN names but none that come close to the name you list. There is one cemetery in the area you mentioned (Cob Switch-Elmo area) it is called the MCBEE CEMETERY, however it is listed on the County map showing the names and locations of all the cemeteries, but there is no information listed for the internees there. You might write the Van Zandt Geneological Society, P. O. Box 716, Canton, Texas 75103 and enclose a stamped self addressed envelope and make inquiry about THE MCBEE cemetery. I grew up in that area. There is a UNION GROVE CEMETERY that adjoins where the McBee School house once stood ( I started to School there). The map indicates that the cemetery is located some 8 to 10 miles Southwest of that location. Sorry I could be of more assistance. Don Blasingame

VZ cemeteries

S. Cannon (View posts)
Posted: 19 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Brown
Thank you so much for this information and suggestion. I will follow through.

McBee Cemetery. Van Zandt County

Posted: 20 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: BROWN, MCBEE
The site where the old MCBEE school was located is on the west side of FARM TO MARKEY ROAD 751 about 4 1/2 miles NORTH-NORTHWEST of the town of Wills Point, Texas. McBee creek is just south of the old school location (about 1/4 mile). This creek heads at near the Van Zandt - Kaufman County line and flows eastward to the Sabine River. MCBEE Hill is Just south of the creek. The hill is several miles long and is more a ridge than a hill. The hill runs through the farm where I grew up and there is an old elevation marker located on the farm. I have been told that it marks the highest elevation in VAN ZANDT COUNTY. Don Blasingame

McBee Cemetery

Edited: 12 Sep 2001 6:19AM GMT
Surnames: McBee

Here is info I just recently received on the Graveyard:

McBee Graveyard, Van Zandt County, Texas
A field Survey

The McBee Family Graveyard was field surveyed on May 10, 2000 by Fran Allen, Cheryl Vaughn, Linda Harwell and Elvis Allen.

The graveyard is in the woods on the north bank of an arm of the McBee Creek, which runs east through a 30-acre farm owned by Sparky & Jan Sparks.
This is the old Homesite of William H. McBee who was buried in the graveyard in 1852. The Sparks farm is located four miles west, northwest of Wills Point, Texas on County Road #3804.

(GPS Rending; 32 degrees 39.48 N. 96 degrees 03.03 W) Elevation 408
There are 32 field stones, many still standing, no Inscriptions located.

The Creek is marked on the Map of Van Zandt Co., TX, and according to History of the County it was named for our GGGrandfather William H McBee as was the School that was located in the County. (I do not have the exact location for the School as yet) but it is documented in History of Van Zandt County, Texas.

If anyone has information on those buried there would appreciate your help.

Browns in Van Zandt County

Surnames: BROWN, MCBEE
I am sorry, but in my previous posting,I misstated the location of the MCBEE CEMETERY in Zamdt County.It is located about 1 1/2 miles west northwest of the Union Grove Cemetery. The map indicates that it is on the north side of Farm to Market Road 3804 and about l mile east of the Van Zandt-Kaufman County Line. Both are in the northwest part of Van Zandt County and about are 5 or 6 miles north-northwest of Wills Point. Don Blasingame
per page

Find a board about a specific topic