Search for content in message boards

Augustus Gates (b.1835) VA > KY> MN

Augustus Gates (b.1835) VA > KY> MN

Scott Chafin (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2000 9:02AM GMT
I would like to make contact with any descendants of Augustus Gates, born in 1835 in Tazewell Co., VA. His mother was probably Nancy ["Ann"?] Gates, and at least one record suggests his biological father was Thomas Brewster ("Bruster"). He married Prudence Griffith (or "Griffitts" or "Griffie"; I've seen all) on 10 Jun 1858. After the creation of Buchanan Co., VA from Tazewell Co., they were living in the former until about 1873. In the 1880 census they were living in Rowan Co., KY. Thereafter, they moved to Stearns Co., MN, where both died, Augustus in 1910, Prudence in 1906.

They had the following children who lived to adulthood:

George W. Gates (b. 1861)
John H. Gates (b. 1865)
Mary E. Gates (b. 1867)
Arminda Gates (b. 1869)
Mandy Virginia Gates (b. 1871)
Augustus Gates (b. 1873)
Martin Richard Gates (b. 1879)
Frances Laurabell Gates (b. 1881)

Augustus Gates had at least two brothers, Richard Gates (b.c. 1822) who married Lilly Altizer in 1840 in Tazewell Co., VA, and John Hile Gates (b. 1825) who married (1) Louisa Christian in Tazewell Co, VA (1847) and (2) Nancy Jelina Oney (Elswick) in Lawrence Co, KY (1865). John Hile Gates and Nancy were my gg-grandparents.

AUGUSTUS GATES'S DAUGHTER, MARY

DIANA U. (View posts)
Posted: 24 Apr 2000 4:08PM GMT
I AM DESCENDED FROM MARY GATES, SHE MARRIED MICHAEL MALLAY IN STEARNS CO., MN. DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE INSCRIPTION AT THE BASE OF HIS TOMBSTONE SAYS? DO YOU HAVE HIS CIVIL WAR RECORDS? DO YOU KNOW THE STORY BEHIND THE LOSS OF HIS LEG? DO YOU HAVE ANY PICTURES OF AUGUSTUS AND PRUDENCE? DIANA U.

Augustus Gates

Posted: 24 Apr 2000 7:23PM GMT
Dear Diana,
Thanks for your reply. I don't know the answer to any of your questions, but I would certainly like to. When you say "tombstone" and "Civil War records," whose do you mean: Augustus Gates's or Michael Mallay's? I have communicated with a few other descendants of John Hile Gates, and like me, they are satisfied that John Hile Gates, Richard Gates, and Augustus Gates were brothers. I have John Hile Gates's Civil War records (in fact, I have his ORIGINAL enlistment document), and I have LOTS of photos of his children; some wonderful photos of his second wife, Nancy J. Oney Elswick Gates; but none of him. So far, you're the only descendant of Augustus and Prudence I've found. With so many children who lived well into adulthood, there must be zillions of descendants by now. My hope is that one of them might have preserved a family bible or something that speaks of the brothers' ancestry. But I'm most anxious to learn anything about the family. Thanks again. Email me direct if you wish: schafin@pdq.net. Looking forward to hearing more, and happy to exchange info.

Augustus/Charles Wesley, Harold, Ronnie Gates

Carol Ann Gates Sharpling (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jul 2000 12:18PM GMT
I'm the grt grt. grandaughter of Augustus Gates. His tomstone is in Brethren twnshp. between Boone and Woodward Ia along with his wife Mary Jane Barngrover her father George I have their marriage cert. and their son Charles Wesley's death cert. I have pictures. of Charles Wesley and Harold Chaz Gates. Nathaniel is listed as Augustus's father. He's from NY, please reply if any link. Thanks P.s. I know Harold remarried and was killed in the line of duty as a Pella IA sheriff and all were Mason's Harold being a Shriner. Thanks Carol Ann Gates Sharpling

Augustus Gates (b.1835)

Posted: 19 Jul 2000 10:52AM GMT
Dear Carol Ann,
Thanks for your reply. However, I think you must descend from a different "Augustus Gates." The one I'm referring to was born in Tazewell Co., VA in 1835; married Prudence Griffith in 1858; and moved to Rowan Co., KY before moving to Stearns Co., MN where both he and his wife died and are buried. The marriage record from Tazewell Co., VA reports him as the son of Thomas "Bruster" (Brewster) and Ann Gates. Ann Gates, whose real name was certainly Nancy Gates is shown as owning real estate in Tazewell Co. continuously from 1822 to 1848; she is then shown on the 1850 federal census as a head of household. She does not appear after that, and thus probably died before 1860. I recently returned from Tazewell Co.; I'm convinced that the chances of learning who fathered my gg-grandfather, John Hile Gates (1825-1874) and his brother, Richard Gates (b.c. 1822) is slim to none. But this Augustus Gates was certainly at least a half-brother. That there may have been more than one "Augustus Gates" does not surprise me.

Thanks again for your reply.

Scott Chafin
Houston, Texas

Gates/Lockhart

Christine Lockhart (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2000 11:52PM GMT
You reference Ann Gates in your posting...supposedly, one of my gggrandmothers was Sarah Ann Gates who married Bird WP Lockhart. My gg grandfather is Thomas Brewster, who supposedly married a Rebecca Brewster. All from Tazewell Cty or thereabouts...Any information? CMEL

Gates / Brewster; Tazewell Co., VA

Posted: 13 Aug 2000 7:47AM GMT
Christine,
The "Sarah Ann Gates" who married B. W. P. Lockhart on 3 Jan 1866 was not really a "Gates"; her original maiden name was "Harrison," and her parents were Guy T. and Clessy Harrison (as best I could make out in the original record). She was first married to William Gates on 2 Mar 1857 in Tazewell Co. I haven't determined the details, but William Gates was probably killed during the Civil War.

William Gates (b.c. 1840) was the son of Richard Gates (b.c. 1820-1822) and Lilly Altizer (b.c. 1823), who married on 6 Sep 1840 in Tazewell Co. Richard Gates's mother was most likely Nancy "Ann" Gates (c.1793-c.1856), mother of Augustus Gates (1835-1910) and my gg-grandfather, John Hile Gates (1825-1874; he married 1/Louisa Christian and 2/Nancy Oney Elswick). It appears from tax records that Nancy "Ann" (or sometimes shown as "Anna") Gates was living in Tazewell Co. as a single woman as early as 1822. She was deeded 20 acres on Indian Creek by James Whitt, and she owned it for 26 consecutive years, and even after she deeded it to Jacob Hinkle in 1848, she continued to live there; the deed was not delivered until 1856, probably indicating that she had died.

I do not know much about the Thomas "Bruster" named as the father of Augustus Gates (he was shown as father in the record of Augustus's marriage to Prudence Griffith in 1858). I suspect that the two other sons of Nancy "Ann" Gates that I know about, Richard and John Hile, were also born "out of wedlock," but I have no clue as to who their biological father(s) was(were). Most of this information I learned from a personal visit to Tazewell Co in July 2000; hope it helps. Scott

Sarah Ann Gates

Christine (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2000 3:23PM GMT
Thanks for the info...I was raised in Tazewell/Bluefield area but am now in Houston...I will be making a trip back soon, so let me know if I can return the favor. With your information I'm able to get to work on the Brewster/Bruster side of the family.

Re: Augustus Gates (b.1835) VA > KY> MN

Posted: 20 Jul 2001 3:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Jul 2003 9:44PM GMT
Surnames: Griffitts, Brewster, Gates
George Griffitt B. about 1834 and his wife Rebecca Griffitt had a daughter Prudence who married Agustus Bruster, son of Ann Gates and Thomas Bruster. (Info from Gates Marriage Records), Agustus was 23 and Prudence 17 at the time of their marriage, both born in Tazwell Co. VA. On the 1860 Tazwell Co. Census, Martin Griffitt and Polly Reynolds his wife, are listed on the same page with George Griffitt and his wife Rebecca. George was 53 years old, George and Rebecca are Martins parents, which would make Prudence his sister. Do you have any additional information on this family? Also, I am confused "How did Agustus Bruster and Prudence Griffitt end up with their children being named Gates?"

Re: Augustus/Charles Wesley, Harold, Ronnie Gates

Posted: 31 May 2004 1:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am descended from Nathanial Gates and have been looking for information on Augustus' child Emma Latetia. Would like to exchange information.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic