Search for content in message boards

1930's HACKENSACK Orphanage help

1930's HACKENSACK Orphanage help

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 7:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Siracusa, Shay
Hello.

My grandmother (Josephine aka Guessepina Siracusa) was placed into a children welfare asylum in hackensack, NJ when she was young. her father would come get her out on weekends, take her places, visit an Aunt in NYC via ferry.

From here she went to a foster home in Rockaway, NJ for a while until her Godparents took her in and she grew up from about 7th-11th grade in Franklin, NJ.

I am trying to locate Vincenzo's grave so I can take my grandmother there before she passes away (she has no idea where he is buried). I am guessing somewhere in Garfield, NJ (last known residence when he died Jan 27, 1937) or maybe somewhere around Hackensack or Hoboken (Where my grandma started going to school).

This is a shot in the dark that I've been working on for about two decades. I'm closer than I've ever been.

He never had much money and I am hoping he is not in some un-named grave somewhere.

Re: 1930's HACKENSACK Orphanage help

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 3:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
I doubt I can help but what was Vincenzo's last name? Was he at the orphanage. My entire family is from Garfield.

My Dad was at the same orphanage. I've been trying to find info about it for a long time starting with a name. My Dad won't talk about it, he was born 1926 and was there from about 1931-1938. If you could ask your grandmother about the conditions there etc, I'd greatly appreciate it. My uncle, made a comment one day I'll never forget "God only knows what they did to him in there"

Thanks,

M
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions