Search for content in message boards

Syncing and Linking Problem

Syncing and Linking Problem

Posted: 20 Oct 2013 3:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
My Family Tree Maker does not stay synced to Ancestry. When I closed the program last night I was synced. Today when I open the program I not only am not synced, but it says my Ancestry tree has been deleted. I went to Ancestry and there is my tree. This happens all the time! Sometimes, several times a day. I am using a Mac and have the latest updates. I have made several calls to Ancestry and no one seems to be able to help me. I follow suggestions, but nothing works. The only way I can work between the two programs when my problem occurs is to go to Ancestry, delete the tree, go back to FTM and upload again. Please, can anyone help me? I need to speak to a higher authority than just a regular person at Ancestry.

Re: Syncing and Linking Problem

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 12:34PM GMT
jbrent,

Did you you try to make a change in FTMM-2, on your Mac, then do a SyncNow?

Russ

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 2:55PM GMT
Ancestry posted "The Ancestry.com website will undergo scheduled maintenance on Monday, 21 October, from approximately 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (EDT). During that time, some portions of the site may be unavailable. Thank you for your patience."

This message first appeared AFTER 10AM (EDT) this morning, so I'm going to guess this was not scheduled at all, but due to lots of weekend wonkiness.

Picking and choosing sync times requires a crystal ball. The site has been so buggy of late, there's never a good time to sync.

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 3:21PM GMT
daciodan,

I have not had any issues with the sync feature. I have done at least 5 in the past 24 hours without issue.

Did you try what I suggested? That is force a sync?

Russ

Posted: 29 Oct 2013 1:55AM GMT
I have the same problem. I spent a lot of time with a very helpful customer service rep last week, BUT the problem continues to happen. I've only had this software a few weeks and I've hardly been able to use it at all.

What is the SOLUTION?

This is unacceptable.

Posted: 30 Oct 2013 6:26AM GMT
I also have this problem. I had it previously and decided just to forget about syncing so I deleted extra trees I had created and concentrated on my FTM tree. I decided to give it another go the other day and managed to download my best tree on ancestry to FTM with success and even managed to sync once. Since then if I have tried to sync it freezes in the middle and I have to do a forced quit to get back to ancestry. I agree it is unacceptable and if ancestry sell the product claiming it will do it it should not glitch out so often.

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 7:06PM GMT
Hi,
I wanted to report that I am having problems today getting photos to display correctly on my linked Ancestry.com tree. I am using FTMM2 for Mac with a linked family tree. I inserted a photo into my FTMM2 program and then synced to my Ancestry.com tree. The photo I uploaded appeared to be greyed out. I tried with a few other photos. This happened months ago and then I solved it by deleting the photo on the Ancestry.com site and resyncing. That didn't work, so I called Ancestry.com.

Tech support told me today that they had problems with syncing yesterday and that I should unlink and then relink my tree. I have done that but now all my photos are placeholders. I hope all my photos return. I am posting to let others know that Tech support did say they had problems with syncing, so as someone said above it may be nothing you are doing.

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 9:08PM GMT
Last night I closed the lid on my laptop into sleep mode while FTM was running. Later when I came back there was an "!" mark on to sync button. When I hit the Sync button I had a message that came on the screen that my Ancestry tree had been deleted. Well, I knew better than that. I closed FTM down and waited a few minutes, opened up FTM again and it automatically started syncing. I let it do its thing and ended up syncing with no problem. Now, that's just one of the problems that shows up. I never know. I just don't let it put me into orbit anymore. It could be one of many things. Could be a FTM problem, ancestry problem, my computer problem or even a router problem. I'm going to wait until they put out the new version for Mac and then see if I still have a problem. I do know that the latest Ancestry "closing for repairs" did help some.

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 10:51PM GMT
I also had a similar problem today. Entered a few photos in FTMM2, synced, and what appeared in the linked Ancestry.com tree in each case was a placeholder image. Interestingly, I then attempted to upload the photos directly into the Ancestry.com tree, and they linked back down to FTMM2 correctly. I also deleted the placeholder images from the online linked tree.

Now nervous about adding any new pictures on the Mac but hoping this is a temporary syncing issue.

James

Posted: 4 Nov 2013 2:08AM GMT
I did try going into my system preferences/Security Privacy and added FTM to the allowed Firewall/Firewall Options.

In theory this should help. But this means I have to redo the linking/unllinking and whatever. That will require another long phone call for me.

Not happy with this software at all!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic