Search for content in message boards

Barrett lakefield Co Mayo Ireland

Barrett lakefield Co Mayo Ireland

Posted: 15 Oct 2010 4:25PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Barrett
Hello
I am looking for any information on my Barrett Family who came from Lakefield Co Mayo Ireland Belmullet registration district.

Many Thanks

Valerie

Re: Barrett - Lakefield Co Mayo Ireland

Posted: 15 Oct 2010 8:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Valerie,

Please contact me at parino@flash.net.

Jim Barrett

Posted: 16 Oct 2010 2:00AM GMT
Surnames: BARRETT THORNTON
Hi Jim
I also have Barrett,s connected to my Thornton family
They live in Mayo as well
Regards Jean

Posted: 6 Nov 2010 10:20PM GMT
Hi,

I am originally from the next village to Lakefield (Doolough), and I am a Barrett. Depending on when your family left the area, my father may know the relevant people. Please send me an email if you wish to discuss it further, I would love to be able to help.

Regards,

Hamsterfox.

Posted: 6 Nov 2010 11:30PM GMT
I would love to be helped. My e-mail is parino@flash.net.

I don't know when my Barrett line left Ireland. I believe my most distant proven Barrett ancestor was born in the USA about 1755.

Thanks.

Posted: 7 Nov 2010 2:51AM GMT
Surnames: BARRETT THORNTON
Hello
Is lakefield near Foxford My Barret,s who married into the Thornton family
Kind regards Jean

Posted: 7 Nov 2010 7:25PM GMT
Surnames: Barrett
Where did the Barrett's settle when they came to the United States. I have a ggggrandfather who was born according to his death certificate in Harrisburg, Pa. That was James Ayres Barrett. His father was John Wheten Barrett. This family then showed up in Beaver County, Pa. John was born abt. 1770, James was born 1818. Other sons were born later.

Posted: 7 Nov 2010 8:19PM GMT
Hello Hamsterfox
I hope you get this message ok problems with my email. I think there may still be Barretts in Lakefield but not sure of any more details. The line I am following is from Mary Howard who married Ned or Edward Barrett in approx 1910 there were 14 children I think but 4 died. You can email me at vsb10@sky.com Thanks very much
Valerie

Posted: 7 Nov 2010 8:35PM GMT
Hi Valerie,

There are definitely still Barretts in Lakefield, I'm afraid it is a very common name in our area. As for the others who had queries, I'm sure different Barretts settled all over the US, I know one particular area that was popular with people from the Erris region was Holyoke, PA. But once it goes back to the 1700s it's very difficult. There was a fire in the 1920s in the Custom House in Dublin during the Irish Civil War that destroyed many birth and death records. There are still Church records but you would need to know names and dates to search those.

Valerie, were Mary Howard and Ned/Edward Barrett married in Lakefield/Belmullet area? If so, I can check the 1901 and 1911 censuses for you.

Regards,

Hamsterfox.

Posted: 7 Nov 2010 9:06PM GMT
Ok, I just had a quick look there for you Valerie. There is one family on the 1911 census, an Edward and Mary Barrett in Loughnahelly, Glencastle (near Lakefield) in 1911, with two children Rose (1) and Julia (under 1 year). Does that sound correct? I need to check with my Dad though, where exactly Loughnahelly is in relation to Lakefield, although I have a feeling it may be the same place. The placenames are confusing and often the older people know.

Hamsterfox.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic